The new shape of Chrysler was unveiled today (16 April) in New York with the worldwide debut of the 300C concept vehicle. The car, revealed at the 2003 New York International Auto Show, features an entirely new shape based on Chrysler’s all-new rear-drive architecture. The striking concept saloon continues the Chrysler brand’s proud ‘letter series’ tradition - but in a thoroughly modern way. It has been nearly five decades since Chrysler first introduced its fabled ’letter series’ cars. The brand’s renowned line of Chrysler 300s started with the C-300 in 1955, and continued for 11 years.
This Chrysler 300C concept features classic proportions - a long bonnet, short deck and a dramatic profile complete with 20-inch tyres. Paying tribute to some of the first ’letter series’ cars, a production version similar to the Chrysler 300C concept will go on sale in the USA in 2004. No decision has been made yet on whether the car will be available in right-hand drive form.
"Chrysler 300C signals a dramatic new design direction for Chrysler," said Dr Dieter Zetsche, President and CEO of the Chrysler Group. "With its new shape and noble proportions, the Chrysler 300C redefines the classic American car, while moving the brand solidly into the premium segment of the market."
While Chrysler 300C is a concept vehicle, it provides a strong hint at the first saloon from Chrysler Group’s much-anticipated next generation of rear-wheel drive vehicles to debut in 2004.
Dr Zetsche added: "With recent introductions including the innovative Chrysler Pacifica sports tourer, the head-turning Crossfire sports coupe, and now the all-new 300C, the Chrysler brand has one of the most impressive product portfolios in the industry."
Simon Elliott, Managing Director of Chrysler and Jeep in the UK said: "300C is indeed a fantastic-looking vehicle. We have put the case forward to our colleagues in America for it to be manufactured in right-hand drive and we are optimistic that we’ll get a good response."
Chrysler 300C Concept Sedan:
· 5.7-litre HEMI® V-8 engine
· Electronically-controlled five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick®
· Rear-wheel drive configuration
· Short- and long-arm front suspension
· Independent five-bar multilink rear suspension
· Rack and pinion steering
· Front P245/45R20, Rear P275/40R20 tyres
· Deep-dish 20" x 8" front/20" x 9" rear five-spoke wheels
· Dual exhaust
· Tortoiseshell accents on steering wheel rim, shifter knob and door pulls
· Heated leather seats
· Leather-wrapped steering wheel with flush-mounted audio and trip computer controls
· Tilt-telescoping steering wheel
· Automatic temperature control
· Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
· Traction Control
· Anti-lock brake system
· Vehicle architecture supporting all-wheel drive system
· High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
· Navigation radio with integrated six-disc CD changer
2001 CL Type S
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport