Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get the Zaino polish and need some help.. I just got my car about 1 month ago and it is black.. What products should I order.. Iv seen people order the Z-5 , Z-2, then the Z-6.. Is that what I need???

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by InFiDsG35

Im looking to get the Zaino polish and need some help.. I just got my car about 1 month ago and it is black.. What products should I order.. Iv seen people order the Z-5 , Z-2, then the Z-6.. Is that what I need???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Here's what I got:

Z-1
Z-2
Z-5
Z-6
Z-7 Wash
Z-18 Clay Bar

It's a lot of hard work, but well worth it. All the instructions can be found here:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Did mine 2 weeks ago, and it still looks better than the day I took it home. I also got a California Duster and just brush it off when I get home everyday.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
hey lead, how long did it take you to do it all?

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did
Z-1
Z-2
Z-6.

After that I do a wash and then z-6. I'll prob get the Z-18 clay bar in about 6 months before i decide to do the z-1 again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know why people think it's a lot of work to use Zaino. I think it one of the easiest products I've used. Sure there's one extra step for every coat (Z6) and another for the first application and every six months (Z1), but both Z1 and Z6 are so fast to apply that it's not that much work!

Here's a rundown:
1st time and every six months apply Z1 very sparingly to the whole car, takes just a couple of minutes. By the time you finish applying it, it's dry - no waiting, continue with the next step.

Apply Z2/Z5 very sparingly again, no hard rubbing, just a nice even thin coat. Takes about 4-5 minutes.

Let the Z2/Z5 dry. I do this overnight -- unless you use ZFX in that case it dries very fast.

Take off Z2/Z5. No hard rubbing, no streaking, no poweder residue. Couldn't ask for anything better! Takes maybe five to seven minutes to do the whole car.

Spray on Z6 and immediately wipe off. No hard rubbing or buffing needed. No streaking either. Takes just a few minutes to do this.

Now if I were using a carnuba based wax, it would take a little longer to apply, since you apply it thicker. It also takes longer to take off, buffing and wiping away the powder residue on the paint.

I would say from my experience with MANY different brands of waxes, Zaino is by far easier and faster than anything I've ever used (and I've dumped tons of money into trying many different waxes over the years). The bigger benefit to Zaino is that it gets glossier with each coat. There's nothing that compares!

-Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I say it's a lot of hard work because to do it right it is. If you follow their directions there are a lot more steps involved than what your method includes. Plus, I don't have an air conditioned garage, so I'm doing this in the 90 degree heat. In summary, here's what I did:

1) Wash car with Dawn
2) Dry car thoroughly
3) Clay bar the entire car (at least an hour)
4) Re-wash car with Z-7
5) Dry car thoroughly again
6) Apply Z-1 to car (this is pretty quick)
7) Apply Z-5 polish and allow to dry (around an hour)
8) Remove polish (this takes me at least half hour and there is some hard rubbing involved)
9) Apply and remove Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
10) Apply Z-2 polish and allow to dry (around an hour)
11) Remove polish
12) Apply and remove Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
13) Apply Z-2 polish and allow to dry
14) Remove polish
15) Apply and remove Z-6 Gloss Enhancer

That's just 3 coats of polish. You could actually do more. I started at 7am on a Saturday and applied my final coat of polish at around 9pm that evening. Sunday I removed the polish and applied the Z-6 to finish it off. Then I dressed the tires and did the windows inside and out. So unless this sounds like a walk in the park, this is a lot of hard work.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've heard some folks say you shouldn't apply anything for the first 6months to a year. What do you guys think?

2003 Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
21 Posts
lead_foot,
You only use dawn the first time, never again! Z1 is used for the 1st coat too, and thereafter every six months.

If you're having a hard time taking off Z2/Z5 either 1) you're putting it on way to thick or 2) you are not letting it fully dry. To test for dryness, rub your finger on the paint (about an inch) and if you see smears, then it's not dry. Read the FAQ on http://www.zainobros.com

Also, you won't be claybaring after each wash. Lastly it's not necessary to apply so many coats in one session. If you read the Zaino web site, you will note that he states:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">After removing a coat of polish, you can apply the next coat after 6 hours if the temperature is above 70 degrees f. If it is below 70 degrees, you should wait the full 24 hours after removing the previous coat for optimal results.

I use my instructions to the tee, and yes it's that easy. With Zaino you have to unlearn your waxing ritual because you need to apply it thin. You only use about 1/2 ounce of polish for each coat. Also, make sure the applicator is wet before you apply the polish. I think I'm going to have to post my Zaino FAQ on this site (I made one for another car forum I moderate).

-Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
OK Rick, let me clarify then. For the first application and if you don't want to spread out the application over a 4 day period, it's a lot of work. Maybe you're not as anal as I am, but I like to get every little crack and crevice. That, I guarantee you, takes longer than 5-7 minutes. If you're into doing things half-ass, then I can see it taking less time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting ready to order some Zaino polish for the first time and I just had a clear bra installed at the dealer. Any tips or concerns about dealing with the transition areas from the paint surface to the film?

Follow up question on bug and tar removal... how easy is this once the car has been polished with Zaino?

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT | Desert Platinum | Willow | Premium | Aero | Sirius SAT

·
Registered
21 Posts
lead_foot,
I assure you I don't do things half-ass. I think maybe you should re-read their instructions again. There should be no areas that need hard rubbing. Either you've applied to thick or it's not fully dry or both. Your approach to the first application is incorrect, if you read my quote on my previous post, you are supposed to wait between 6 and 24 hours to Zaino to cure. If you apply another coat before this, you are wasting polish.

I've been using this product for two years, first on my black S2000 and now my G35. The first few months of weekly polishing did take me a lot longer than it does now. I can guarantee you that my paint looks just as good as yours. Over those months, I've learned to use it correctly (apply it thin) so that you don't waste the polish, it doesn't take as long to dry, and you don't have to rub hard to take it off.

If you don't want to take my advice, that's fine, all I'm trying to do is offer some help here as to why it doesn't take that long to use Zaino. Have fun killing your arm! [cheers]

-Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 6mt_rocket

I'm getting ready to order some Zaino polish for the first time and I just had a clear bra installed at the dealer. Any tips or concerns about dealing with the transition areas from the paint surface to the film?

Follow up question on bug and tar removal... how easy is this once the car has been polished with Zaino?
The transition areas should not be a problem. Zaino doesn't leave build up like regular wax does. As for bugs and tar, they don't stick as much, and if they do, and it doesn't come off by washing, use a clay bar on the affected areas.

-Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rstark

I've been using this product for two years, first on my black S2000 and now my G35. The first few months of weekly polishing did take me a lot longer than it does now. I can guarantee you that my paint looks just as good as yours. Over those months, I've learned to use it correctly (apply it thin) so that you don't waste the polish, it doesn't take as long to dry, and you don't have to rub hard to take it off.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My point is, no matter how thin a coat you put on, it will take you more than 7 minutes. I'm sure it's less on an S2000 since there's not as much surface area, but on the G Sedan, with spoiler and aero kit, I'd love to see you do it in under 20 and get every square inch. I printed out and read everything on the Zaino site and my instructions above are a combination of their regular instructions, their FAQ's and tips and tricks. I don't have time to cut and paste from their site right now, but I will later to prove my point. Drying and curing is different depending on a lot of factors and the hour I gave was under optimal drying conditions. Mine took between and hour and 2 hours, yours might take 6.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
My point is, no matter how thin a coat you put on, it will take you more than 7 minutes. I'm sure it's less on an S2000 since there's not as much surface area, but on the G Sedan, with spoiler and aero kit, I'd love to see you do it in under 20 and get every square inch. I printed out and read everything on the Zaino site and my instructions above are a combination of their regular instructions, their FAQ's and tips and tricks. I don't have time to cut and paste from their site right now, but I will later to prove my point. Drying and curing is different depending on a lot of factors and the hour I gave was under optimal drying conditions. Mine took between and hour and 2 hours, yours might take 6.
You obviously can't read as I've stated:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've been using this product for two years, first on my black S2000 and now my G35.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dude, whatever already. Have fun Zaino'ing it your way with all the hard rubbing and buffing. Whatever turns you on.[clapper]

-Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rstark
Dude, whatever already. Have fun Zaino'ing it your way with all the hard rubbing and buffing. Whatever turns you on<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why don't you point out what I missed instead of answering like a third grader with "Whatever?"

My initial response says "It's a lot of hard work, but well worth it." You decided to argue that it isn't a lot of work at all. Fine. I was referring to the whole initial process as I described above. You were obviously referring to a few steps in the process. Now I'm not sure what other wax you're comparing this to, but I don't know of any other wax on the market that takes as many steps. THEREFORE, I believe Zaino, as compared to other waxes on the market, is a lot of work, and doing anything in the 90 degree Houston heat, is hard, period!

If you read through this forum, you'll notice that there are a lot of good, helpful people here that sometimes don't agree, but are still level headed and always defend their points in a respectful and mature manner. If you feel you can't contribute in that manner, feel free to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
Why don't you point out what I missed instead of answering like a third grader with "Whatever?"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why? because you can't read, and you're obviously applying it wrong when you said "(this takes me at least half hour and there is some hard rubbing involved)" and you haven't touched on any advice I gave like applying it thin or testing for dryness.
My initial response says "It's a lot of hard work, but well worth it." You decided to argue that it isn't a lot of work at all. Fine. I was referring to the whole initial process as I described above. You were obviously referring to a few steps in the process. Now I'm not sure what other wax you're comparing this to, but I don't know of any other wax on the market that takes as many steps. THEREFORE, I believe Zaino, as compared to other waxes on the market, is a lot of work, and doing anything in the 90 degree Houston heat, is hard, period!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I still say it's not a lot of work like you would like everyone to believe. Sure it's multi-step, but as I stated, those extra steps don't take a lot of time like again you would like everyone to believe. If you're in Houston and have a lot of humidity, I seriously doubt your one hour drying time is enough if you're not using ZFX which explains why you are having to rub and buff hard. Again, read the instructions. Here's how to test for dryness: http://www.zainobros.com/files/faq.htm#anchor20135 and here's why you're having to rub and buff so hard: http://www.zainobros.com/files/faq.htm#anchor20135 If you could read, you wouldn't be having these problems.
If you read through this forum, you'll notice that there are a lot of good, helpful people here that sometimes don't agree, but are still level headed and always defend their points in a respectful and mature manner. If you feel you can't contribute in that manner, feel free to go somewhere else.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree, that's true with any internet board. It's you who are the one who can't take any advice and I've offered it many times, but somehow you don't read it, and have never addressed my resolutions for your problem, hence, I give up on giving you advice. And who are you to tell me where I can post or not? Do you own this site? If so, are you going to censor people who don't agree with you?

-Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You're obviously the one who can't read or take advice. I said "feel free to go somewhere else." That's advice. I never said you're banned, or don't come back ever, or I own this forum.

Yes I can read, and yes I tested to make sure it was dry, just like it says in the instructions. It was. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have tried to remove it. And I never said mine took an hour to dry. This is a guideline, just like in the instructions.

I admit that I probably put it on too thick in a few areas and that's why I needed to rub a little harder. Are you happy? I also acknowledge that your advice is good and I will take it. Thank you.

I never argued that your directions were wrong. My point was that it IS a lot of work, and like I said in my last post (which you decided not to address) is that COMPARED to other waxes, there are a lot more steps involved. That, in my opinion, makes it a lot of work. And like I said in my first post, it is well worth it. That is all.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I admit that I probably put it on too thick in a few areas and that's why I needed to rub a little harder. Are you happy? I also acknowledge that your advice is good and I will take it. Thank you.
Yes I am and you're welcome. [lol]

-Rick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts