Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Cwise, if the G's navi screen is anything like the Acura's, then this would require the VERY HARD TO FIND RGB converter. I have one currently installed in my CL and can watch DVD's and TV as well as Navi. Basically, you have 4 signal wires going from the Navi "brain" to the screen... R, G, B and Composite. If you have an RGB converter, it will accept a video input, and output those 4 signals. All you have to do is hunt down those 4 wires and install a switch in the middle. Switch off = navi, switch on = DVD player.

That's kind of a crash course, and I hope to have some do-it-yourself instructions up soon. In anyone knows of someone that has done this on a G, let me know.

Also, Ron from StreetEffectz is very knowledgable, you can email him for more details. He even sells complete kits with the converter, switches, wires, etc. He could probably tell you if this setup would work on the G.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I installed it myself [^] It plays through the CD Changer input with a Blitz adapter (Ron from StreetEffectz sells them too). You could very easily add a headphone jack somewhere on the dash so your passenger could listen to and watch the movie, while you listen to the radio.

Actually, that's a great idea. I'm going to start working on that in the CL [:D]

6-speed

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got the G and opted against the navi. I know how to get around and was hopeing for a DVD in the after market. CAn I still install the dvd in the cavity where the navi would've been? I want to keep the interior clean and uniform.

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK..but the Navi in the G Coupe does play DVDs right off the bat correct? (cwise what color is that called on you ride?)

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nope, no manufacturer would let you watch DVD's up front! That would be legal suicide!

6-speed

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I just want a way to disable that stupid warning every time you open it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

Nope, no manufacturer would let you watch DVD's up front! That would be legal suicide!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Might wanna tell that to Cadillac. The Navi system that they offer on the CTS can also be used for DVD playback, but ONLY when the car is in park. This, as history has shown (think Alpine IVA), is probably easy to bypass.

It's too bad really, if the G's Navi had playback capabilities, it really would have been a selling point.

Gopal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for someone in LA to help me do the navigation modification so i can play dvd's. If anyone knows anyone who may help please e-mail me. of course compensation will be provided.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the G35 nav system play DVD's when the vehicle is stopped? Is there a way to disable the "I agree" startup screen? Can anything be modified to allow you to use all the features of the nav system while driving so that you don't have to stop to set a new destination?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There really isn't anyway to disable the "I agree" screen since it's built into the navi's software. I'm sure you can trick the unit into always thinking it's in park by grounding one of the wires, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Although, it's hard enough concentrating on the road and entering info in my CL's touchscreen navi. Using the knob to enter directions would really take a lot of concentration!!

6-speed

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The only complaint I have about my car is that damn little joystick for the navigation system. It's so awkward and unresponsive. A much better interface would have been a disc type controller (See photo below), or better yet a touchscreen version would rock.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
172 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

The only complaint I have about my car is that damn little joystick for the navigation system. It's so awkward and unresponsive. A much better interface would have been a disc type controller (See photo below), or better yet a touchscreen version would rock.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

did you install that on your car????

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
No, but if I can find someone who can do it, I would definately consider it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts