Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the startup disclamer? Also any ideas on how to remove safety feature that won't allow you to use the system while driving. My passengers would like to be able to program in locations as we drive. Thanks, Jeanne K

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It depends on how integrated the system is. If the application itself is running in an embedded system and the disk merely contains a database of location information, you'll have to find an alternative microprocessor and code (which don't exist to my knowledge).

If the program is on the disk and the system merely has the ability to run the application on the media, you'll have to hack the program on the disk.

Neither solution are terribly easy...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Wow, those sound incredibly difficult, and I'm a programmer. Hacking an existing program is not easy. I would imagine they might release an update later that fixes it...I may be wrong, but other carmakers Navs aren't locked like that, are they?

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow, those sound incredibly difficult, and I'm a programmer. Hacking an existing program is not easy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hacking an embedded system is even harder.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I would imagine they might release an update later that fixes it...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wouldn't imagine so. Those limitations exist because Infiniti Legal told them they had to include them in order to cover their asses in the case that some moron is driving down the road, screwing with their Nav and kills a bus load of kids or something. I see no reason to expect that Legal would back down from this.

Is it possible for an after market person to offer a solution? I would think so, depending on whether or not any encryption schemes are employed. If they are, then the DMCA would likely prove an insurmountable feat. The bigger problem would be building a business model. I don't think there's a massive number of people out there with this specific Navi right now. There's probably even fewer that care enough to spend money to change this. Their margins would have to be huge to cover the development which means it would cost quite a bit.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but other carmakers Navs aren't locked like that, are they?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't remember Acura's having the same lock, no, but I didn't play with it that long and it's the only other one I've played with. Apparently the legal departments of the other manufacturers are simply less conservative.

It may also have to do with the recent trend of legislating distractions such as cell phones.

·
Registered
427 Posts
OMG get over having to push a button for each time you have to use the nav. God you are lazy as hell. Every car has this disclaimer. Its gonna be there and it will always be there. As for the whole thing about not being able to use it when driving, yes every new car wont allow you to use it while the car is moving. My friends jag and lexus dont let him use it if he is moving, his merc and my dads acura were both made in 01 and in 01 you were able to use it while driving, but i think in 02 and on you cant use the navi when moving. just stop being so damn lazy and get over it, or be cheap and dont get the nav next time so u dont have to worry about any of this. I think i will end up liking the fact that you cant use the navi while moving cuz since i have been driving my dads car around i almost got into and accident while using the navi and driving. A nice thing they could have done is put a sensor on the passenger seat and if it says there is enough wieght then it would let you use the navi while driving. Assuming the passenger would be doing all the work. But whatever.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
While it might be a bit annoying to not be able to have passengers fiddle with the Nav, I'm glad the lockout feature is there. Too much accident potential IMHO.

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Fwabs

OMG get over having to push a button for each time you have to use the nav. God you are lazy as hell. Every car has this disclaimer. Its gonna be there and it will always be there. As for the whole thing about not being able to use it when driving, yes every new car wont allow you to use it while the car is moving. My friends jag and lexus dont let him use it if he is moving, his merc and my dads acura were both made in 01 and in 01 you were able to use it while driving, but i think in 02 and on you cant use the navi when moving. just stop being so damn lazy and get over it, or be cheap and dont get the nav next time so u dont have to worry about any of this. I think i will end up liking the fact that you cant use the navi while moving cuz since i have been driving my dads car around i almost got into and accident while using the navi and driving. A nice thing they could have done is put a sensor on the passenger seat and if it says there is enough wieght then it would let you use the navi while driving. Assuming the passenger would be doing all the work. But whatever.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Fwabs"
Holy cow, is somebody a bit jealous? i think so, so when you get your bus tokens for next week remember, I HAVE A RED CUTE ASS CAR!!! I didnt post that I hate the navi system, I was asking people who actually HAVE THE CAR if they had advice. Maybe that dad of yours can take you down to DMV and you can get your licence?!?
Good Luck, Jeanne K[angel]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Fwabs

·
Registered
427 Posts
wow i just got told

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
[lol][lol] Nice work JeanneK, sorry Fwabs!

I used to have the same gripe about my CL. I think the difference is in how you use it. If you use it every once in a while for directions, the start up screen is no big deal. If you're like me, who likes to have it on all the time, then it sucks big time.

My Acura (2001 CL-S) had the same warning screen. The newer Acura navs actually disable the "OK" button for about 4 seconds... now that's even MORE annoying! You have to wait for 4 seconds until you can hit OK and use the nav. It's starting to turn into the Fed warning on DVD's!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

wow i just got told
[lol] It's ok. It happens to the best of us. Besides, Hell hath no fury like a woman's wrath.[rage]

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 02 TL-S wold let you program the nav when driving...no lockout...before the disclaimer would even come up though, I could only watch the boot screen for 4 seconds, like VQ said.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The No-Nag box which is listed on that Murano forum is also being tested out on the G35's as well. I think they have one guy just testing this out to confirm. You should look this up on www.g35driver.com for more details.

But you can disable the Navi's Speed Sensor, which doesn't allow you to use NAV while the car is in motion... Its just a matter of flipping a switch to disable the speed sensor to the navi while driving and you are free to type/enter in to your navi as you please. I think it is more for use of passengers though... This hack is in the forums I mentioned above as well.

Good luck - be safe!

**** Authorized PAC Aux Input Dealer **** Now stocking the SWI-X also!

=== Authorized AV Electronic NAV/DVD Dealer ===

Email me for more details... [email protected]

·
Registered
295 Posts

You're wrong. Not every car has that feature enabled. BMW's Nav doesn't not disable the programming feature while on the move. Stop trying to own people!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts