Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went through the trouble shooting and it feels grindy when I push the sub in and out from the center of the cone. I have been told these are bad voice coils. I did purchase this on Amazon so won't hear back from them if I can get a replacement until Monday. Otherwise, how much would it be to re cone and replace the voice coils? And who sells replacements? Can't find anything on JL's site. I called them and left a message as well.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Don't bother...get new sub. Been there, done that. Sorry man

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What can you offer as advice for a musical sub other than a 10w6. Something that can handle the same power would be nice. I have the 500/1v2.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
What can you offer as advice for a musical sub other than a 10w6. Something that can handle the same power would be nice. I have the 500/1v2.
How many ohms produce 500rms x 1 is the question?....I like JL, but there not exactly the best bang per buck.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
4 Ohms. Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W6v2

The Amp? I went with JL cause everyone and all shops said they were #1

I got the cheap stuff from Amazon for "The Best Shop". So I think warranty is void.
Cool. They are #1, and the cost is #1+...but it also depends on the type/size of box. Every sub is built for specific cubic feet volume, and some can be ported, some sealed, some both. What ya work in with.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a .82 cubic feet sealed box that fits the sub fine. Worked AWESOME for 5 months, and then the coils blew.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Sealed is for sound quality, ported is for spl... But only 3db, not worth the drop in sound quality. Was it a new sub? Did you listen to it at a high volume right out of the box? If so, that's the reason the voice coil fried. Should give a new sub a good 20 hours of moderate volume break in to stretch the coils... JL w6 is your best SQ sub, check out the alpine type x, they might be cheaper for similar performance

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
How many ohms produce 500rms x 1 is the question?....I like JL, but there not exactly the best bang per buck.
All slash series jl amps run full power from 1.5-4 ohms, and from 11.5-14.4v.... Their power supply is genius. If you hook up a meter, they actually produce over the rated wattage at 14.4v... Best amps on the market hands down, the HD series is even better

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I went through the trouble shooting and it feels grindy when I push the sub in and out from the center of the cone. I have been told these are bad voice coils. I did purchase this on Amazon so won't hear back from them if I can get a replacement until Monday. Otherwise, how much would it be to re cone and replace the voice coils? And who sells replacements? Can't find anything on JL's site. I called them and left a message as well.
If you didn't get it from an authorized JL dealer, they won't repair it for free, or backup any warranty. Keeps the black market down. You can send it in and pay a hefty repair fee I'm sure... The w3v3 is a very clean, tight sounding sub for ½ the price

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
And you can run 2 w3s with that amp =)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is $700 on JL's website. Who do you recommend that I buy a replacement from that will retain warranty?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sealed is for sound quality, ported is for spl... But only 3db, not worth the drop in sound quality. Was it a new sub? Did you listen to it at a high volume right out of the box? If so, that's the reason the voice coil fried. Should give a new sub a good 20 hours of moderate volume break in to stretch the coils... JL w6 is your best SQ sub, check out the alpine type x, they might be cheaper for similar performance

Very true. I try to tell ppl about break in. Nobody listens.

Since I got a fake, I bet it will hit harder when I get the real thing.
A fake? What??

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. Done and Done with the PRE sub break-in period. I was well aware. 5 months later the voice coil frys.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Can anyone recommend a Licensed Online Dealer for JL Audio components?
Go to www.jlaudio.com and they have a list of authorized dealers. Only problem is that they are all full price. That's why i recommend a w3, or 2 for the same price of a w6

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Or be the first person in the forum to get a tw5 shallow mount...more trunk space =) w6v3 should be out anytime now and the tw3 line

1 - 20 of 52 Posts