Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 225-45-18 Michelin Pilot Sports that come stock (at least in Canada) I had the sidewall of the right front blow out at 120 KPH on the weekend and was considering replacing all with another brand. Comments?

2003 M6 Silverstone

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Front right went totally flat this weekend over the course of a few hours. No word yet on whether there's a hole or someone was futzing with it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How about replacing them with 245/45/18 to match the back?
It would cost more the get 4 tires then just one.

G35 Coupe
6MT DG/W prem, aero, navless

·
Registered
197 Posts
i dunno if its my way of driving, but when ithe road is wet the car slides so much!!!!!!!!even if the road isnt wet it stoill slides, shrieks alto more than my 03 altima....maybe its cause i make turns alot faster

thanxs alot guys, any comments or help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
wow, I have to be barrelling into a turn to make my 6MT Coupe slide. I am assuming that you are in a coupe as well? AT or MT? My only advice would be to slow down, seeing that it is rather hard to send a car lateral when making a turn in dry weather.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
197 Posts
its AT[banghead]...but im not going that fast, it just slides a little, but my point is that in my altima it didnt slide AT ALL....so im guessing its the tires, cause the nobody else has this prob.

·
Registered
316 Posts
No problems here. I'm actually amazed with how well the vcd works.

Black 2003 G35C - 6MT - Willow Leather - Nav - Premium - Performance

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sliding?

You must be hitting the sound barrier to get that to happen. I have done some pretty sharp turns and my Michelins totally stick to the road. No complaints from me..

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
21 Posts
No problems. I've gone sliding or skidded, but I'm usually taking a turn pretty fast. eg. sharp right hand turn going through the apex over 40km/h. These tires will grip a lot better than most other touring tires, but you have to remember that this is a rear wheel drive car and even good tires have their limit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

One thing that needs to be factored in is the way a car handles. If a car handles well, then the driver is more confident and more likely to drive it closer to the limit. Cars that are sloppy can be driven hard but there is a natural tendency to back off well before the tires hold limit is reached. IMHO.

6MT DP

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Good point Ripley. I was driving my girlfriend's Acura 3.2 CL-S lastnight, and I really like the handeling and ride in those. I hope my coupe is even better.
-Savage-
Update: Grubbs called today to tell me that they got the invoice for my car, and it should be there tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by sav505

Update: Grubbs called today to tell me that they got the invoice for my car, and it should be there tomorrow.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

WOO-HOO!!!

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
10 Posts
I take corners in my coupe at very high speed and I don't even get a squeel. You must be going pretty damn fast if you are sliding the car. Also if you are sliding then you either have the VDC off or don't know how to drive a RWD car. Also the pilots are one of the best high performance tires made period.

G35 Coupe 6MT
Diamond Graphite / Graphite Leather
Aero & Premium Package

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's not that hard to get the back end loose, but if you're pushing it that hard, you better also know why you'd want to. Otherwise, you're just a threat to anyone near by.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the point was how the tires performed on wet roads. I had Piolts on my 1999 M3 and had similar issues - very poor handeling on wet roads. Piolts are great on dry roads. My last set of tires were Kumos and they performed well under dry and wet conditions.

Street driving fast on wet roads, IMHO, is not wise regardless of tires and or experience.

I plan to change from the Piolts only because of my previous wet road experience.

Be safe!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just got my car yesterday, and im very impressed with the pilot sports. You have to drive pretty hard to get those to slide.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance |

·
Registered
230 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by craigdred

Sliding?

You must be hitting the sound barrier to get that to happen. I have done some pretty sharp turns and my Michelins totally stick to the road. No complaints from me..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, I've gotta be taking a hairpin turn or purposely doing something stupid to get the tire to squeal on a turn (like cranking the wheel at a stop light and flooring the car on green).

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off, the pilot sports are one of the best street tires on the planet, That is why they are stock on tons of vehicles including my last car(99 m3) as well as the 6MT. But you are all missing the point, dude with the squeelly tires, check your TIRE PRESSURE! I too replaced my sports on my old m with kumho ecsta's, they were 1/4 the price, latest 4 times longer, and I still wished I spent the $900 for the sports!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i took my car for maintenance for the 7500 miles, they checked tire presure and wheel balance, the car doesnt slide aymore and i havrnt heard one single squeal so im happy, i guess it was just the tire presure...also the infiniti dealer told me that there was a prob with all coupes with the brake switch....he said hed change it for free cause its under warranty

thanxs alot guys, any comments or help is greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts