Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">

I've been looking over the G35 for about 8 months now, and have test driven the auto serveral times. Like alot of people I have really been looking forward to the 6MT sedan, and I finally got to test drive one yesterday.[:p]

For reference, I've been driving a stick since I bought a new 89' Mustang GT 5-speed, and for the last 4 years a 94' Honda Accord LX 5-speed.[banghead]

My topline: VERY disappointed. The cluck has a very long throw and is ackward to handle. I'm 6'3", and I cannot get the seat back quite far enough to make the cluck motion work smoothly. Starting off in 1st was trickly and the transition from 1st to 2nd was jerky unless I was very careful. Also, when starting out in 1st, there was a "clicking" vibration that could be felt in the left foot and stick, and could be easily heard too. My test drive included a lot of neighborhood stop signs, with not many opportunities for 40-60 mph downshifts, but these stifts were easy to make.

I'm very interested to learn what other members of the forum have to say about 6MT sedan, whether they had the same problems I had or if I just got unlucky. Normally I would never buy an auto, but I may have to consider it if I'm going to buy the G35.

Diamondman
Chicago, IL

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome to the board. We have a few 6MT sedan owners here that can give you some good feedback. From what I've heard, the 6MT sedan is very similar to the coupe, and I haven't heard too many bad things about the coupe's tranny.

How do you like the rest of the car? Got pictures?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
172 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Diamondman

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">

I've been looking over the G35 for about 8 months now, and have test driven the auto serveral times. Like alot of people I have really been looking forward to the 6MT sedan, and I finally got to test drive one yesterday.[:p]

For reference, I've been driving a stick since I bought a new 89' Mustang GT 5-speed, and for the last 4 years a 94' Honda Accord LX 5-speed.[banghead]

My topline: VERY disappointed. The cluck has a very long throw and is ackward to handle. I'm 6'3", and I cannot get the seat back quite far enough to make the cluck motion work smoothly. Starting off in 1st was trickly and the transition from 1st to 2nd was jerky unless I was very careful. Also, when starting out in 1st, there was a "clicking" vibration that could be felt in the left foot and stick, and could be easily heard too. My test drive included a lot of neighborhood stop signs, with not many opportunities for 40-60 mph downshifts, but these stifts were easy to make.

I'm very interested to learn what other members of the forum have to say about 6MT sedan, whether they had the same problems I had or if I just got unlucky. Normally I would never buy an auto, but I may have to consider it if I'm going to buy the G35.

Diamondman
Chicago, IL
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HMMMM...
I think you should go take a look at BMW330 you might find that BMW is more stable! Thats wut i think of it, but G35 is faster then most of the sedan cars(except M5) G35 interior has kind of cheap finish. Most of the stuff is plastic. concidering the price, G35 still beat most of the cars. wellz~think about it!~!~!~

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Uhh I totally disagree with your statement on the interior Sub. I really think that compared to most cars I have seen and looked at think the G35 has a VERY nice interior to it. I test drove a 330Ci and thought the interior on that was a little, how do I say, not up to par with what you pay for. The G35 is superior in my opinion in every aspect to the BMW 330...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too am 6'3" and had a little trouble with the clutch on the test drive. I went back and drove the 330 and the A-6 (I don't even fit in the A-4...) just to make sure I had the right car...Oh yeah. The first week was a little rough. I now have three weeks and almost 3500 miles into it and I have gotten the hang of it. It changed a lot after 2500 miles of breaking in. I am not sure if I just got used to it, but now it's just an extension of all my personality defects. This car rocks!

G35/S/6MT: Desert Platium over graphite, Premium package.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my opinion the 6MT sedan is as close as you can get to a 330 (even one with the PP) without paying the BMW premium. The sedan is faster than any of the non-M BMW 3 series...

The BMW is more "refined" but is it worth the extra $$$? Add to that the increase in your insurance (I got a quote for a 330 vs a G35- the 330 was $200/year), and the higher cost to maintain, and at least to me, the answer became obvious. Also, the are too many 3-series on the road now. I see at least 20 each day on my way to work. I have only passed two G's, on my commute over the span of a year...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's a short throw sport shifter and it drives like one. It sounds like you just aren't used to this sort of transmission. It's far less forgiving than a regular market tranny.

Don't feel too bad, I had to adjust to it as well. It took a few hours in a large parking lot to get my timing right with this tranny. Now that I've adjusted my shifting technique, it's organic and seamless.

If you want a car more laid back without the race horse attitude that this tranny exudes, I would suggest a BMW 330.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts