Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things will change by the time I finally get my car, but I have always been curious about whether I want manual or automatic. I would greatly appreciate all of your inputs on this topic. Thanks.

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
153 Posts
When i first got my first car ever..it was gift from my bro. He asked why would i get if i ever had a car (the car was a surprise)...i said auto cuz it more comfortable..he told me wait until you drive stick you 'll love. Now if was able to get every car i unless its a SUV or a big body etc i would get it stick especially something like a G35C. The car is geared towards performance its almost a must unless you completely dislike it, you have the experience of 6 geras. Ita short throw manual stick, and alotta fun period to drive stik you feel vibrations, click, the throws...you tell the car what to do.

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admit that seems like a lot of fun, but I don't like the idea of being confined to one hand on the stick, one hand on the wheel type driving. Also, isn't there more to break/go wrong with a manual? Does it get really annoying in city driving?

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally think the 6MT is the only way to go! With a stick you're totally involved in the driving experience. Is it a bit of a hassle in stop and go traffic, yeah. But that's a small price to pay for the overall feeling of control that it brings.

'03 6MT (6-Speed Coupe)
Diamond Graphite/Willow

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
T, I would say there is more to break on an auto. The auto has solenoids and plenty of other things that are known to go. Also, if your auto goes, you're probably looking at a grand to fix, or up to $3K or $4K to replace. With a stick, you'll only need to replace the clutch.

My current car is an auto, and while I love the convenience, I miss the manual [V]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea, currently with my Manual car its very fun...i believe the G has a more resisting clutch when comapred to the civic si when i tried it in the dealer..but lemme tell ya..its makles it even better for those moments you have pop it to run it hard...gotta love the stick. You can break faster with downshifts and and real become part of the car extending gears longer ( even tho you the triptronic on the auto) and you got the benefits of a 6th gear opposing the 5 speed auto. It comes down to your decision but the stick you will love alot more best thing to do in your case is to test drive both if you can...i know you will fall in love with the short throw stick og the G Coupe.

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
153 Posts
sorry if i skip words on my posts but..i type too fast and really don't proof reading my posts...

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really just going to have to try both and see which I like better I guess. I jsut wanted to learn more about the problems, the pros and cons of each here, and now its just personal preference. One more thing, however, do manual transmissions have any problems with very cold weather? (North-Central Penn.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I honestly can't help you there with the cold weather, BUT...i don't see why it should have any problems that the auto can't have.

It all about the opinion...you gotta try out both...tell the dealer you are undecisive and want to rty out both transmissions...i'm sure they won't mine at all.

BTW the way...today i just saw the G35 again...in Dia. Graphite...wow what a color...just a bit lighter than charcol.

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
When I'm in charge, anyone that would marry this car with an automatic transmission will be confined in my death camps (don't worry, you'll have plenty of company from all the other people I want to die).

It would not only be stupid, it would be offensive to buy a sports car with an auto. If you don't like to drive, don't buy a car designed for driving enjoyment.

You know in Europe the only people that drive autos are the handicapped?

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font color="red">I don't consider the G35C to be a sports car. I traded a Honda S2000 for my G...it was a sports car and a 6spd. Whether you go with a 6MT or an 5a...is personal preference...If you drive in a lot of traffic, go with the 5A....the shifting will get old. If you are going to race your G35, the 6MT is the way to go. For normal, fun driving, the 5A does great. The G35C is a luxury sport coupe and the 5A ( with paddle shift) works great and provides all the fun quotient 99% of us need. But, bottom line is, go with what you like....why they offer both.... <font color="red"></font id="red"></font id="red">

·
Registered
2 Posts
advantages of manual:
•more hp gets to the rear wheels (power is always lost to the driveline, so not all 280 hp get to the wheels, manuals usually lose 5-10%, and autos 10-15%)
•less weight
•more gear ratios
•can play with the clutch for better lanuch
(above = faster, and better fuel economy)
•better reliability (auto's usually break every 100-150 000 km, manuals need new clutches but hardly ever break)

advantages of auto:
-easier (you end up going faster unless you're experienced)
-traffic

personally:
I'd get the a5 in this car if I could aford one (I wish). It's not a pure sports car, it's a luxury sports car, and if I bought a manual I think I'd miss the auto more than I'd miss a manual buying an auto. You can pick which gear you want with the auto, and you can let it do it for you if you want. But I would want the sports package on the auto to get the 18" wheels and suspension from the manual...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think the car is truly meant to be a manual, but Infiniti realized that their customer base would demand autos. Thus they give us manual guys some extra goodies to stand out (18's and brembos). I drive an auto now and can't wait to get back into a manual. You get such a better feel for the engine and road with a manual. The auto gives me zero feedback and I have to rely on whatever shiting program it feels best for me at the time [thmsdn]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend the 6 speed. This is my first manual car (previously had an auto Pathfinder) and it's a ton more fun to have the control of the manual. It's been pretty cold here in NY this winter, and I've had no issues with the manual due to the cold. The first time or two through the gears when really cold (single digits) can be a little stiff, but it loosens up back to normal very quickly. I don't really have anything to compare it to, I've only driven a few different manuals for short times, but it is great to me. My main comparison is to Mitsubishi Eclipses, since I worked at a Mitsu dealer when I was in college. I'd say it's actually quite similar in throws to the '00+ Eclipse (which I think is also a good gearbox) with a more positive feel. It's a ton better than '99 and older Eclipses which were rubbery, had longish throws, and weren't very refined.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I Purchased the 5 speed auto and i gotta tell you I love it! With its e-shift, I dont lose any shifting time and at a dead stop (holding brake and gassin up the RPM's), I launch like a mutha. I was going to order a 6 speed but figured it would wear off fast and I would be stuck in traffic wishing for an auto.

P.S. Dont forget to turn off the VDC (-.^)

G35 Coupe
Brilliant Silver
Auto
Everything but NAV

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hey phr...have any pics of your ride? Also I think both have their advantages but I have to say I agree with bslote in that I would miss an auto MUCH MORE if I had a manual than if I had an auto I would miss a manual. Which is why I got an auto and really havent missed a manual much at all...but they are more FUN to drive...[:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
SWEET ride there Phr. I love silver even though most think its too plain...nice site as well.[:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Chaz. When I first created the site, I had a 6speed on order (nov 1st placed the order) which is why the the buttons are 1st through 6th on my web site. I changed my mind on the 6 speed in January and the Salesmen had an extra auto coupe on order so he changed my order. My car finally came Feb. 6th :)

G35 Coupe
Brilliant Silver
Auto
Everything but NAV

1 - 20 of 161 Posts