Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot about this topic, both in other forums and among friends. To my understanding, only the coupe w/sport package has an LSD differential, but some salesmen at the dealer have been telling me that sport packaged sedans get the same treatment. Can anybody get the true scoop on who gets LSD and who doesn't? Thanks!

PS: Lead, this topic concerns you very well, as the LSD would be your number one weapon in autocross...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
my understanding was that the LSD came with the sport package in either coupe or sedan... but I have no way to confirm that. [dunno]

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xzellerate

PS: Lead, this topic concerns you very well, as the LSD would be your number one weapon in autocross...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You're right man, I haven't been able to find any info about this either although I'm really curious.

On another note, I'm getting some 255/45/17 YR Eagle F1 GS-D3's put on this week. Should be a big improvement over the regular GS-D's, not to mention an inch wider and better looking. Check out the ratings on tirerack.com:

Code:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3
Maybe I'll be bringing home a trophy next month. Look how close I was this time around (do a search for g35 to find me):

http://www.houscca.com/solo2/results03/03REG06R.html

1.202 seconds off from first

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
lead --

I can understand the WRX's and Mustangs, but you've got to at least get in front of that 99 mercury cougar! And I'm surprised you're the only G35 there?!?

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

I can understand the WRX's and Mustangs, but you've got to at least get in front of that 99 mercury cougar! And I'm surprised you're the only G35 there?!?

Yep, the only Infiniti there, period. As far as beating the guy in the Cougar, I'm pretty happy to be as close to him as I was. He's been doing it for a year and a half, this was only my second time. [:D]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella

Hey Lead,

Good job getting your times progressively lower. Let me know how you like the new GS-D3's. They look pretty good.

Thanks man. I'm having sizing trauma at the moment. The Goodyear place is telling me the 255's will work while the folks at tirerack are telling me they don't recommend it. I think I trust the folks at tirerack more, especially since they're very familiar with the autocross scene. I might be forced to buy some wheels. I'll update you on the situation as it progresses.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

As far as beating the guy in the Cougar, I'm pretty happy to be as close to him as I was. He's been doing it for a year and a half, this was only my second time. [:D]

You'll get him. This will be him after you get a few more runs under your belt -> [bowdown]

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement Ken!

And I'm still ahead of you. [lol]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
1 post is hardly anything to get excited abou...oh, wait... we're even now [:p]

-Ken

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lead-

I was going to ask you if those tires were going to fit on our stock sport rims. Can't give you any scientific data, but I figure it's a close one.

All-

As far as LSD, my understanding is that none of the G35's have a conventional mechanical LSD. Rather, they use a system similiar to Benz's ML-series where ABS and traction control automatically brake the free-spinning wheel, thereby transferring torque to the wheel with better traction. As to whether or not this a sport package feature only, I'm not certain.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Had to get new wheels for them to fit. Darn.

Here's what I'm getting:

Enkei RP02-J 17x8

These will acommodate the 255/45/17 YR Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

I went back and forth deciding between 17 and 18 inch wheels and I decided that weight was more important to me than an extra inch in diameter for looks. It will also be easier for me to upgrade to racing wheels with the 17s once I'm ready.

And yes, I'll post pictures as soon as I have them.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
oooooh! nice. I like the simple elegance of those rims. They'll look good on your sedan. [thmsup]

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks Ken. Should be on there by tomorrow. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice wheels, Lead. Hate to burst your bubble, though. A 17in wheel and tire will almost certainly weigh more than an 18in like wheel and tire combo. Yes, you are adding more alloy with an 18, but you are adding more rubber (denser than most alloys) with a 17. Remember, the total diameter with either size is still the same.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Man

Nice wheels, Lead. Hate to burst your bubble, though. A 17in wheel and tire will almost certainly weigh more than an 18in like wheel and tire combo. Yes, you are adding more alloy with an 18, but you are adding more rubber (denser than most alloys) with a 17. Remember, the total diameter with either size is still the same.

Very interesting G-Man. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Although this is off the topic of LSD, relating to the tire size/ rim combo, an 18" wheel will most defiantly be heavier. The problem is not in the weight of the wheel, but in the rotating mass of any combination that is larger. The argument that the tire will have less stuff is rather weak, considering the tire itself doe not account for the most weight, and the further out the weight of the rim itself is the greater it's rotating mass. The rotating mass is what counts the most, it is the amount of stuff that the car must turn to continue it's momentum. For a further explanation, beyond my knowledge check out this article on VTEC.net - http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3469

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Ok, now I'm a little confused. Thanks for the good point/counterpoint.

[lol]

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why are you confused?

AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]

2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sirmilton

Why are you confused?

Because of your and G-man's differing opinions. No big deal though. My purchase has been made and the new wheel/tire combo will be on tonight. Thanks for all the info anyway.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts