Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has this happened to anyone before?i was driving my car today and when i stopped at a light my oil light came on and off.it also came on and off on my navigation screen advising of low oil pressure.i read in the manual that it has nothing to do with not having enough oil?could it be a oil pressure switch..any help would be appreciated....

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
has this happened to anyone before?i was driving my car today and when i stopped at a light my oil light came on and off.it also came on and off on my navigation screen advising of low oil pressure.i read in the manual that it has nothing to do with not having enough oil?could it be a oil pressure switch..any help would be appreciated....
Did you check your oil dipstick to confirm you had enough oil?

·
Registered
35,588 Posts
Definitely check your oil level. There have been numerous cases of G's burning a lot of oil and needing to have the engine replaced. GReddySetGo being one of them and me being another. Check your oil level right away.

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
The oil pressure in a G is going to vary widely. I've seen pressure as high as 100 psi and as low as 14 psi or so.

The 100 psi is cold start, then quickly traveling under load.

The 14 psi is hot oil at idle.

Still, I'd bet like the others that it's more than likely stemming from low oil as opposed to low oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I can't understand why high end cars do not have a oil pressure gauge and a voltage gauge?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last night I was driving to Atlanta from Nashville and as I was pulling in to get gas(turning onto the street next to the station) the low oil pressure screen popped up on my nav screen for a split second and then went away. The next time, I was just getting into my home city and I had to hit the brakes kind of hard for a light that just turned yellow and the screen came up again for just a second and then went away. The third time, I was turning onto my street and it came up and went away.

I checked the oil the first time it happened and it looked normal. After I got home I let the car rest in the garage for about 20 minutes and checked the oil and there wasn't a drop on it. I checked it again about 10 minutes later and it looked normal.

This morning while warming it up before heading to school is was making a very light rattling noise that it's naver made before. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the oil, but the noise went away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Am I just worrying too much, is the oil low, do I have a bad sensor or what?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've been having a similar problem with my '04 non navi. Been researching issues and can't seem to find a resolution. I have the slight rattling sound as well (it only occurs during acceleration and can be heard loudest around 3k rpm).

Today on my way to work the SES light came on. I'll pull the code when I get home and post my findings.

Some preliminary thoughts would either be a bad CAM Positioning Sensor, bad oil pump, or damaged rings.

By the way... major thread from the dead.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nope- not on this car. Also depends on if you do it yourself, go to a mechanic, etc etc.

Not sure how difficult it is, but if that ends up being the issue I'll prolly look into doing it myself.

I'm not even sure how to diagnose if it's the oil pump unless you are getting a code. Maybe some of the more experienced guys on here can provide some advice?

One thing you mentioned that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... you said it was empty, no oil.... then you checked it again, and there was oil?

You may want to also consider doing an oil change and make sure everything is sealed up tight. Any oil on the driveway or wherever you park the car? Signs of leaks? go in with a flashlight under the hood and see if you can find any pools of oil or splotches as well...

That rattling sound when there is no oil left in the engine I believe is the cam shafts positioning.... definitely don't drive the car if there is no oil... do an oil change first or at least add a few quarts (i'd do an oil change, that way you can ensure filter is on tight).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope- not on this car. Also depends on if you do it yourself, go to a mechanic, etc etc.

Not sure how difficult it is, but if that ends up being the issue I'll prolly look into doing it myself.

I'm not even sure how to diagnose if it's the oil pump unless you are getting a code. Maybe some of the more experienced guys on here can provide some advice?

One thing you mentioned that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... you said it was empty, no oil.... then you checked it again, and there was oil?

You may want to also consider doing an oil change and make sure everything is sealed up tight. Any oil on the driveway or wherever you park the car? Signs of leaks? go in with a flashlight under the hood and see if you can find any pools of oil or splotches as well...

That rattling sound when there is no oil left in the engine I believe is the cam shafts positioning.... definitely don't drive the car if there is no oil... do an oil change first or at least add a few quarts (i'd do an oil change, that way you can ensure filter is on tight).
Yeah, after I shut it off and let it rest there was no oil on the dip stick. Then ten minutes later I checked it again and it looked normal. Maybe I was reading it wrong, but I'm sure sure I saw it correctly. I park her in the garage every night and there's never been any spots on the floor and it's never had any excessive/different colored smoke coming out of the exhaust. I went in with a flashlight this morning and looked really hard in all the really small places and stuff and there was nothing. It's all clean and clear.

I'll be checking the oil level again in a little bit when I get out to it to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sounds exactly like my issue. Where the **** is the missing oil!?!?

Just FYI - I've been driving with the oil issue for about 3 months now, just monitoring the levels and just now the check engine light came on. So once I read the code (as soon as I get home), I will get back on and post what I found.

Very possible we have the same issue. If you find anything out through your research please let me know as well.

Did you have any prior issues to this occuring? Or any recent work done to the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll definitely keep you updated.

I actually just got the car a month ago, but I had it checked out by my mechanic and everything was is perfect shape. Other than the wheels and some lighting mods I've done, it's all stock.

I just checked my oil a few minutes ago when I got home and it was clean and at normal level. Let me know what you find out about the code

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
sounds like you're doing something inconsistent with the dipstick

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
nicker, what year and trans car do you have?

there is a TSB for 05-07 6MT coupes. burn lots of oil = new short block...if you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Got p1283 code - from what I've read this is the main o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. I've heard it's expensive to replace and can also cause some major issues with Air fuel ratio, including backfire, rough running etc...

Luckily I'm not experiencing any of those symptoms, and after doing a reset last night, drovve about 1.5 hours to work this morning and no sign of the code coming back...

I am assuming it is unrelated to the oil issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well that's good to hear!

My car is an '03, all stock. But i did an oil change last night with Mobile 1 Synthetic and I've driven it about an hour total since then and the pressure warning and rattling sound haven't come back at all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts