Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a used 2006 6mt coupe with 53000 miles on it and I noticed something interesting. Whenever I start it up in my garage to warm up the engine before a drive, I noticed that there is a decent amount of smoke that comes out of the engine. Now the garage door was open and I waited till the car warmed up to a proper temp before driving it, but the smoke definitely caught my attention.

Basically, I was wondering if this is something common with this G35 model/yr. The car does use castrol synthetic oil, so I do not know if this has anything to do with it. Any input is appreciated!...Thanks Guys.

· Premium Member
53,494 Posts
First, you don't need to let the car run and warm up to any temperature before driving it. It's ok to get in it, start it, and drive off.

second, your car is still under the powertrain warranty, so make an appointment with the dealer to check it out. Your model is known to burn oil and if yours is, then you get a new motor.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok sounds good, does have a cold air intake installed. Would it be a good idea to take this off before going to the dealership? Or will they not even take a look at the motor with the CAI on it?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I do have it actually. Thanks for the advice. I will get it looked at as soon as I get sometime. I did go and check the dipstick for the oil level, and it seemed to be normal. The guy did tell me to get the oil changed every 3-4k miles for a synthetic oil change. Is this a normal period for a synthetic oil change? I am new to synthetic oil so any input would help.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea the smoke wasnt black or anything. Just during the idle, there was a bit of white smoke slowly seeping out from the 2 exhaust pipes. I also went ahead and checked my oil level with the dipstick and it is within the correct limits. The guy i bought the car from had changed the oil about 3000 miles ago and it was up for another oil change in july. So with the oil level not changing much, I am thinking that the smoke could be due to something else. Regardless, I will take my car to the dealer and schedule an appointment.

· Registered
692 Posts
Yea the smoke wasnt black or anything. Just during the idle, there was a bit of white smoke slowly seeping out from the 2 exhaust pipes. I also went ahead and checked my oil level with the dipstick and it is within the correct limits. The guy i bought the car from had changed the oil about 3000 miles ago and it was up for another oil change in july. So with the oil level not changing much, I am thinking that the smoke could be due to something else. Regardless, I will take my car to the dealer and schedule an appointment.
From the sound of it, that's not really smoke, but probably steam. Condensation collects in your exhaust and when you start it the next morning and it's cold outside, it'll "smoke."

I've had small plumes come out at stop lights on cold days. No big deal.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks Revo, I will go ahead and schedule an appt with the dealer anyway and I will let you know what they end up saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts