Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of having this be another rumor heard from the dealer, this morning the service manager at my dealer said that a limited production run of 500-1000 G45's are coming towards the end of 2004. That will be really cool if it is true. [boink]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Whoa... that would be pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
G45 as in G35 with a 4.5? By the way...What does the G stand for?

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
G stands for Goes (fast).

So what would be the main difference between the G45 and M45? I assume that it would be a sport vs luxury focus, but some of you may have more educated guesses.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I'm not sure the G stands for anything in particular. It seems like just part of Infiniti's naming convention. Here's my best guess:

Numers = Engine size (35 = 3.5, 45 = 4.5) If I recall correctly, before the I35 became an I30, it was a 3.0 liter engine.

For sedans (and coupes) letters move up in sequence as size of car grows. (G, I, M, Q). Remember the J30? Ever so slightly larger and more expensive than the I30. J was retired, followed by the M.

Utility vehicles add an X (FX, QX). The size thing seems to work here too.

Anyone else have any other theories? Mine's pretty rational and basic.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

So what would be the main difference between the G45 and M45?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Size, for one. The G is more of a compact sedan, whereas the M is more midsize. I do agree with the sport & luxury distinction as well.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Is a 4.5 a small V8, or a big V6? I already want one!

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
That makes sense. I think volvo is the only company I know of whose letters stand for actual words.
Does bmw use the engine size in their model numbers? Ie is a 330 a 3.0, 540 a 4.0, etc?
Does mercedes make any sense at all?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes, the number is the engine displacement.

The X in the FX is a pretty common reference to AWD (all four corners connected...). BMW uses the same nomenclature.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is a 4.5 a small V8, or a big V6? I already want one!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

V8.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That makes sense. I think volvo is the only company I know of whose letters stand for actual words.

The lettering in Mercedes models represents words as well, though they're German words and not English.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does bmw use the engine size in their model numbers? Ie is a 330 a 3.0, 540 a 4.0, etc?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exactly. The first number is the family and the second two numbers are engine displacement. Furthermore, the 'i' references fuel injection and I believe 't' was for touring when they had models easily described as such.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does mercedes make any sense at all?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A letter for the German word describing the model and the number is the engine displacement times 100 (or 10 in the case of the AMG models).

SL500 is a 5.0 liter V8 for example. Sadly, I can't for the life of me remember what the German words are and my Google Fu is failing me at the moment but I remember this being brought up when the CLK was released (German words for Compact, Light and Short if memory serves which it may not).

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

The X in the FX is a pretty common reference to AWD (all four corners connected...). BMW uses the same nomenclature.
Too bad Infiniti doesn't actully make the FX or QX4 in AWD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the FX is RWD (both 35 and 45) and QX4 is FWD.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Okay. Thanks for the correction, Milt. So the RWD only applies to the FX35. What about the QX4? Looks like they've dropped it from their website already.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh
What about the QX4? Looks like they've dropped it from their website already.
QX4 is dead, according to my salesman. They're replacing it with some new behemoth in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would imagine a G-class coupe with the 4.5 liter V8 would probably be ~350hp before losses. That would be one kick ass car, [:D] though I'm sure it would be pricey. [:(!]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

QX4 is dead, according to my salesman. They're replacing it with some new behemoth in a year or so.
Yes. The new car will be similar to the Pathfinder Armada (no surprise there). I was just wondering about whether or not the QX4 came in an AWD version, thus validating Semi's point.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The QX4 had the same system as the pathfinder:
All-Mode 4WD

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
97 Posts
That would be pretty cool if its true. I figure 340hp. 0-60 in 5 or less, 18in rims stock, price at $40k.

G-Class
2003.5 G35s Black/Black
Prim/Sport

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

me remember what the German words are and my Google Fu is failing me at the moment but I remember this being brought up when the CLK was released (German words for Compact, Light and Short if memory serves which it may not).
Kurtz is short in German, as in 9mm Kurtz pistol cartridge, a 9mm short.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm incredibly skeptical about this. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of room in the engine compartment as is and adding a significantly heavier engine to the front end would require some serious re-engineering to keep anything resembling a well handling car.

Could they design a new little sports coupe with that engine in it? Absolutely. Could it simply be dropped into the G? Not a chance.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I think it could be done, but not by Infiniti. I have seen big block V8's in S10 pickups and Vegas. I don't the money would be spent by Infiniti to get it certified and whatever else they need to do to sell them.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

1 - 20 of 40 Posts