Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - One of my buddies from Chicago was down in PHX over the weekend and I wanted to impress him with my new ride so we went for a little spin. LITERALLY I turned off the VDC to smoke the tires and forgot to turn it back on, I usally take turns pretty quick and punch the gas (typically with the VDC on). Well needless to say my dumbass took the same turn without the VDC at around 40 shifted and the car took a nice side spin into a 180 thought I was going to eat it. Got the heart pumping!!! [jaw] good move dumb ass!!! just thought i'd tell everyone to keep the VDC on it's there for a reason. the car did not handle as good with it off.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I just autocrossed the G for the first time this weekend, and I agree. I need to be a MUCH better driver before it's worthwhile to turn off the VDC.

But running autoX with it off is FUN[:D][:D][:D]

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I bet it's hard to drift with it on. Haha...The only place I would drift is in a big smooth parking lot, maybe between some cones.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> just thought i'd tell everyone to keep the VDC on it's there for a reason. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No offense intended, but that reason is that morons try to drive in a manner they aren't capable of driving and get themselves killed. Judging by your speed, I'm guessing you dropped it into second during a turn and gunned it at the apex. This car has more than enough torque to break traction in second with a full throttle move so your back wheels broke free which is a bad thing in a turn.

For those that DO know how to drive at high speeds, the VDC is a hinderance, not a help.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the car did not handle as good with it off.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Depends on perspective, I suppose. It didn't attempt to compensate for your mistake, but it did exactly what an experienced driver would expect it to do. Behaving exactly as I expect IS good handling, to me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I agree with Semi completely. [thumbup]
I have driven my coupe at high speeds on a race track [:D]. At all times, except once when I forgot [:O], I turned the VDC off. The car handled exactly as I expected. The only time I was caught offguard was the time I forgot to turn it off and it abruptly slowed me down in a turn normally designed for a nice drift.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I hope to get out to a track someday, but I'll get in lots more autoX seat time first. Sliding all over an airfield at 35mph is fun, but I wouldn't want to try it at 90.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Struan...Do you live near a closed airport? Or is there one that lets you drive on the runway?

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by sav505

Struan...Do you live near a closed airport? Or is there one that lets you drive on the runway?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I autoX with Spokes (www.spokes.org). We meet on an abandoned private airstrip at I35 & Parmer, by Dell. Unfortunately it's not a full-sized runway, it's only about 100m by 25m, plus the adjoining parking lot.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
The difference is that with VDC turned on it is trying to make adjustments for you the way some computer geek thinks it should be. If you spend lots of seat time you will learn how to really enjoy the car you are driving. Does not matter what type of car you drive, if you learn its limits and yours driving can be a blast. I leaned how to drive busting dirt roads in a pickup truck, I traveled many a mile sideways. Even with VDC turned on you can screw up real bad, learn you car and be safe.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have to agree with the autocrossers. I grew up on a '71 Trans Am with 500+ ft-lbs of torque and a posi rear end. Needless to say, oversteer was the order of the day.

It's kind of funny now, because I tend to leave the VDC on and just when I expect to feel the G's rear end drift, the throttle closes and things fall off. Easy to control, but a little disappointing.

I have yet to take this thing to the track, but I expect it'll prove to be quite fun.

-- mike

2003 G35C 6MT,Leather,Prem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"For those that DO know how to drive at high speeds, the VDC is a hinderance, not a help."

I don't consider myself a bad driver, I just got cuaght off guard with the VDC turned off. Was expecting to drift. I recovered fine but needless to say I was caught off guard.

Typical response from you Semi master of ALL things.[bowdown]

[cheers] no offense intended

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
And I certainly don't think you're a bad driver. Driving at speeds that can break the back end free, though, takes some training or a shit load of screwing around where you can't hurt yourself and others.

By chance, did you downshift at the apex like most video games require to break the back end free and slide around a corner? I see a lot of people attempt this not aware that the game is attempting to simulate heel and toe rather than downshifting at the apex which isn't exactly what you want to do (as you found out).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't play video games so I would'nt know how games react. However, I did downshift for the turn which broke the backend loose. No biggie just next time on the regular road I'll keep the VDC on unless I intend to drift. Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do a google search for "Heel and toe". You'll find that manuever a lot easier this way.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

Do a google search for "Heel and toe". You'll find that manuever a lot easier this way.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As well as 50,000 foot fetish sites.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by plynlive

However, I did downshift for the turn which broke the backend loose.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
FYI - Before you enter the turn, do your braking in a relatively straight line and sequentially downshift to the gear in which you can accelerate through the turn. As you steer into the turn, smoothly put the power down throughout the turn. Any oversteer should be caused by excessive throttle, which can be easily modulated. Drift, while exciting to watch and feel, should be kept to a minimum to obtain the fastest time through the turn. Oversteer caused by too fast of a turn in or by lifting in the middle of the turn should be avoided. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts