Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard many positive stories about this filter. About 4-6hp without changing the airflow characteristics of the car. Basically it's a filter built to factory air box dimensions, but containing a wire-meshed cotton element vs. the factory paper element, allowing for more air flow. Torque and horsepower curves are higher, and throttle response is said to improve, since air doesn't strain much to penetrate the easy flowing element in the K & N. Any input guys? This filter is only $19.99 at my local Advanced Auto Parts by the way.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Million mile warrenty, never has to be replaced (only cleaned). I'll be putting one in mine when it gets here. I might even go get one before it gets here. [boink]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get what you are saying by "when it gets here". This obviously means you have it on order. I thought it was already on the shelf in the auto parts store? [dunno]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
68 Posts
9300 miles on my K&N drop in, no problems

Also have 20000 miles on my previous car (VQ35DE altima), 15k miles on my Jeep Liberty, 70,000 miles on my 89 cherokee, and various other vehicles.

Do Not Fear the K&N. There is some debate over the oil getting to MAF sensors but I have never seen it myself. When you clean the K&N (I do it once a year, not every 50k miles like they say), it is possible to get too much oil on it and then it could get on your MAF sensor. Just make sure to blot it off and leave it on a paper towel overnight after you clean it. That is the one day a year I use the stock paper air filter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey X.. i put one in my car about a week after i bought it. The throttle response seemed better, but as far as extra usable ponies, I really don't know. The fact that you never have to buy another air filter priceless[:D]. btw--$20 is a good deal, mine was
like $45[bigeyes]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I'm dropping it in after I get the rims! Need every penny saved if you know what I mean [pimp].

XL

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just ordered mine!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where are you all getting them from online? Or will I find mine at the Autozone? Only place I can find it is at infinitiwholesaleparts.com for $51.99. Anyone find a cheaper place?

2003.5 6MT Black/Graphite Coupe Premium Aero

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get it at my local Wal-Mart for $39.99, and at the Advanced Auto Parts store for $45.99. I have a $20.00 gift certificate for Wal-Mart, so I'm spending twenty bucks on it.[:D]

XL

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
http://www.performanceintl.com/

<font size="5">$39.25</font id="size5">

Free shipping, no tax!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
40 Posts
excellent
thanks!

2003.5 6MT Black/Graphite Coupe Premium Aero

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have one in mine. No probs[^]

G-Class
2003.5 G35s Black/Black
Prim/Sport
2003 CLK500 on order

·
Registered
254 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

After it had time for the computer to learn it did you notice any SOTP improvement?

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[?][dunno] sorry to ask, but what is SOTP

CMEGOBYU

·
Registered
254 Posts
OHHHHHHHHHHH[:D] Yea... not much difference..a little better throttle response is all i noticed[:D]

CMEGOBYU

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the K&N in my G about 3 weeks after I bought it. The car seemed a little more responsive, but I can't say I saw any real HP gain.

Now I have the Injen CAI.....all I can say is WOW! Even if I couldn't feel the difference now, the sound alone would be reason enough to get one. :)

peace

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by xzellerate

I can get it at my local Wal-Mart for $39.99, and at the Advanced Auto Parts store for $45.99. I have a $20.00 gift certificate for Wal-Mart, so I'm spending twenty bucks on it.[:D]

XL

I've had K&Ns in several diff cars, the last being for well over 150K miles! Really.

Something to consider: Read the instructions carefully; you (and maybe some of the other posters have noted), K&N actually recommends that you re-oil the filter in between washings BY SPRAYING THE SPECIAL OIL ON THE INSIDE OF THE FILTER compared to the normal outside spraying.

I'm overboard on the too-much-oil thing and its potentially getting into the throttle body or MAF so I do some excessive things. I wash the filter, shake it out, then let it dry in the sun outside. Then, I spray it when it's completely dry and let it sit in sun all afternoon on a newspaper. Either that nite (or pull it inside), next morning I plop it back in car.

No mess, no chance of oil migration to MAF or throttle body. A bit too cautious, yes. Problems with over-oiling, messing up other engine parts, never. It works for me.

As to more horespower, or seat of the pants feeling, I doubt if anyone can feel 4-6 horsepower increase. Unless it's in a 5 horsepower go kart. Not trying to flame anyone, it's just not likely to be felt. You may hear a little more induction at wide open throttle depending on what your airbox is shaped like, amount of insulation, etc. One thing's certain; you've saved quite a bit of dollars on the factory air filters.

Just my thoughts.[:D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts