Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a G35 sedan with the Bose system. I just purchased a JL500/5 amp to upgrade the system. The manual says the amp can use pre-amp level inputs OR speaker level inputs. Does this mean that I will not have to use a LOC to hook up my amp to the stock Bose?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
With the bose system, Bose dirties the signal in the amp, so it's better to tap in before the amp. On my CL, I tapped in after the amp and the bass is boomy at low volumes and then tapers out at higher volumes. Tapping in before the Bose amp gave me a nice clean signal. I would not recommend using speaker level inputs, or using any signal coming out of the Bose amp. Tap in before it.

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Actually, I was looking at this same amp. Great choice.

The installers I was talking to seemed to think it would work exactly as you expected. Just wire the Clarion head unit's output to the amp and you're money. I decided I didn't want to drop 4G's on a stereo in a car I still owe more than the value to so we never tried it.

Use a good installer and if they fuck up, thereby killing the amp, it's their dime.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
VQ,

He's talking about not needing a dongle to convert the signal to a standard line out from the head unit that is running speaker level outputs to a degree. He's not talking about jumping in behind the amp, I believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am wonderign about this as well. I know that the BMW head units use "speaker level" outputs. I also have learned that the BMW outputs are differential outputs. I am thinking the BOSE clarion unit in the G35 is similar. If so, that is really the way to go since a signal sent over a differential link to the amps has a much higher noise rejection ratio.

I hope this is the case, it will really simplify the installation since we will just tap into the existing BOSE wiring harness for both the head unit and speakers. Then, blow the stock speakers out.. then buy some nice MB's.. :) I am thinking Mcintosh amps and decent MB Quarts. Nothing too crazy. The amp makes the biggest difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mstil35,

Need your help. I am trying to get a nav system installed with the
screen going in the cubby. Can you send me pics of your system and any suggestions that you may have?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by mstil35

I have a G35 sedan with the Bose system. I just purchased a JL500/5 amp to upgrade the system. The manual says the amp can use pre-amp level inputs OR speaker level inputs. Does this mean that I will not have to use a LOC to hook up my amp to the stock Bose?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What are differential outputs on the BMW? Does that mean there's no ground, just hot and cold?

"struan87 you are way better than Google!" --BCole
Pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

What are differential outputs on the BMW? Does that mean there's no ground, just hot and cold?

"struan87 you are way better than Google!" --BCole
Pictures.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

On a normal RCA the center plug is the signal and the outer circular contact is the chassis ground. A balanced (aka differential) has two signals: one on the center plug and another signal on the outer contact. The signal on the outer contact is the same as the plug, just inverted.

The trick is that at the JL amp the signals are subtracted so any noise picked up is eliminated. The jl amps claim in the specs to be differential.

Now, the question is: does the bose G35 stock HU have differential outputs? Also, is the stock non-bose HU just piped into the bose amp if you get the bose option? We could check to see if the HU part numbers are different.

So my preliminary plan is:

1) get bose option (will cut down on wire install time and I want the other crap in the premium package)
2) remove bose amp in trunk
3) install jl 500/5 and EQ
4) splice HU outputs to differential signal capable EQ
5) connect jl 500/5 to eq
6) splice speaker harness from ex-bose amp to jl amp
7) upgrade speakers (maybe mono 250W to two 6x9 in parallel, two decent coaxials for rear, and a nice set of components up front)

Anybody know what kind of signals the stock and bose HU output? I thought I saw a wiring diagram around but I can't find it now. It seemed to show the sock HU wired straight to the speakers and the bose HU going to the bose amp. The real X-factor for me is the term "speaker level inputs". Please help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts