Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From autoexpress:

Is the Big Cat set to be leaping off the front of an SUV in the near future? It's inevitable, according to our source highly placed in Jaguar product development. "Considering the success of the Volvo XC90, I can't see how we can avoid entering this sector," he told us.

The US is one of the company's most important markets and sales of lightweight crossover SUVs such as the Lexus RX300 and BMW X5 are booming there. Bosses admit that the European diesel engine boom has cost the firm dear, and they don't want to be left behind again.

Officially, all Jaguar will say is that it investigated building an SUV in 1999, but concluded it didn't need to enter the market. Since then, though, sales of lifestyle crossover models have exploded. Jaguar's owner Ford is also rushing to enter the American SUV market with two models - a Ford and a Lincoln - based on the 4x4 Mazda 6 platform. These will be built in Canada and should be unveiled in late 2005. Industry sources think a Jag SUV could be a version of this car, although serious design work has yet to start at the British firm's Coventry-based styling studios.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
it will probably look like an explorer.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Based on the Mazda...

Further proof that Ford has squeezed out what little reason remained to own a Jag.

At the very least, they could base it on a Range Rover.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why would Ford base it on a Range Rover, The MG Rover line is under BMW... same reason the new Mini is a BMW

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My bad. I meant Land Rover.

·
Registered
869 Posts
right, they could, and it would actually have some really good parts on it and be stylaish. somthing the land rover seems to miss out on.

The XC90 isn't bad for a ford product, adn Volvo has a whole has come leaps and bounds with design int he last 5 years

---------------

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's a good idea for Jag. An SUV Jag (and I include Crossovers under the SUV umbrella) is inevitable. 20 years from now, all brands will have more than one SUV offering in their lineup.

Why does a Mercedes and BMW SUV make sense and a Jag does not. And I dont even wonna mention a Porsche SUV.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S

·
Registered
869 Posts
seen a mbunch of the Porsche ones around, ugh... the FX is much nicer. Although, my current fav is the RX330. The styling just looks great and was a perfect step from the RX300 IMO.

---------------

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
To me, it's not so much that I don't think they should enter the SUV market. More power to them if they want, and I wish them well. It's just that I'm not confident that I'll like them very much (with their current trends in design). It's really too bad. Jaguar USED to be one of more unique looking car manufacturers... now they just look like Fords. Where's the class? Where's the elegance? Refinement? All gone.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sirmilton

seen a mbunch of the Porsche ones around, ugh... the FX is much nicer. Although, my current fav is the RX330. The styling just looks great and was a perfect step from the RX300 IMO.

---------------
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you like the 330 it might interest you to know that the RX 400H will come out a year from now. It will be powered by 2 hybrid engines powering the rear wheels (in addition to the IC engine) making a total of about 300 HP.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'll take 2 please... check waiter.[crazy]

---------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts