Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone up against an IS yet? I know that base, these things are pretty slow, but I would guess that engine could be tweaked pretty easily.

Has anyone seen a quick IS? On going debate with friends [:D]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Actually since I use to be in the racing seen in Austin for a long time with my stang while in college...I have gone up against quite a few things since owning my G...so YES I have gone up against an IS300 and whooped his a**. hehe

03' G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to find one that is fast at all. I'm not a "floor it at the red light" kinda guy, but I think 75% of all IS owners are! They always pull up next to me and gun it! I usually watch and think to myself... that thing is not fast at all [:p]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Exactly! Slow they ARE! Smoke one your next time they do that...hehe it will make you feel good!

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well first off, the IS300 has a 3.0L straight 6 pumping out only 215 HP, so of course the SC's 280 would thump it. second, it only has a 5 speed manual. nuff said about that[:D]

"If money is the root of all evil, then I'm a Saint, cause I'm broke." - Anonymous

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JustAnotherCivic

well first off, the IS300 has a 3.0L straight 6 pumping out only 215 HP, so of course the SC's 280 would thump it. second, it only has a 5 speed manual. nuff said about that[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

5speed manual versus a 5speed automatic...manual should still win out...whats your point here? Mine is an auto and I took him out BAD. Yes the IS300 comes with 215HP...very slow which we stated and hence me whooping one...no big deal.

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
172 Posts
and not to discriminate but anyone driving an is300 cant be a good racer -- they just lack the knowledge and know-how -- it's obvious, they are driving an is300 instead of a g35 coupe [:D]

ok so maybe im only kidding

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chaz

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JustAnotherCivic

5speed manual versus a 5speed automatic...manual should still win out...whats your point here? Mine is an auto and I took him out BAD. Yes the IS300 comes with 215HP...very slow which we stated and hence me whooping one...no big deal.

'03 G35 Sedan.

I think he meant in comparison to a 6 speed though it's a bizarre comment given how the ratio of the G. That sixth gear wouldn't really do you much good on the G in a typical lineup in traffic. On the track you might be able to get up above 100, but fifth will take you that far on its own.

I doubt it would make much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by tmartin316

and not to discriminate but anyone driving an is300 cant be a good racer -- they just lack the knowledge and know-how -- it's obvious, they are driving an is300 instead of a g35 coupe [:D]

ok so maybe im only kidding

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

In all fairness, most of them probably bought the IS300 before the coupe was even announced. The IS was largely the coupe of its time. Ricers and racers alike had been pining away for an Alteza for years, much like ricers and racers have done with the Skyline.

Of course, I doubt you could fit a Supra Twin Turbo engine into a G. The IS300 on the other hand...

·
Registered
85 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

I think he meant in comparison to a 6 speed though it's a bizarre comment given how the ratio of the G.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

forgive me, but i dont really understand what you said just here.

anyway, for the most part youre right, thats what i meant. i was just thinking that being a 6 speed, it would have a more agressive gear ratio than the 5 spd in the IS300, thus better acceleration.....on top of having close to 70 HP more[:D]

"If money is the root of all evil, then I'm a Saint, cause I'm broke." - Anonymous

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
According to these two sites:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/roadtests/pdf/2002_11_g35_data.pdf

The compression ratios are:

G35 Coupe
Gear Ratio Overall ratio (Rpm) Mph
1st 3.79:1 13.42:1 (6600) 38
2nd 2.32:1 8.22:1 (6600) 61
3rd 1.62:1 5.74:1 (6600) 88
4th 1.27:1 4.50:1 (6600) 112
5th 1.00:1 3.54:1 (6600) 142
6th 0.79:1 2.81:1 est (5700) 155*

IS300
GEAR RATIO:
1st 3.357
2nd 2.180
3rd 1.424
4th 1.000
5th 0.753

So indeed, the coupe is more aggressive in its compression. Certainly, more than I was expecting given that I'm still below 5500 rpm in 4th doing 80mph...

Of course, you also have to add in the time for an extra shift (up to 200ms for most people, 85ms for the new BMW SMG and reportedly 25ms for some crack head race car driver) so I'm not sure it makes a major difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Of course, I doubt you could fit a Supra Twin Turbo engine into a G. The IS300 on the other hand...

actually, you dont need to fit one in, it comes with it.[bigeyes]
its the n/a version of course, but still, if IS300 owners would only understand the POTENTIAL! hehe

"2JZ engine, no sh**.....this will decimate all, AFTER...you put about 15 grand in it...or more, if we have to overnight parts from...japan"[lol]
no, i havent seen that movie.....not a chance....[;)]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, acceleration is not the IS300s strong point. The fastest 0-60 time I've seen was for a L-tuned IS 300, 0-60 in 6.4 I think. Well slower than a G35coupe. The auto is a 7 sec vehicle.
BUTTTTT.

Now for 5k you can slap in a turbo. Remember, the I-6 is the same used in the Supra. FOr 10k, the car can push 400hp. At first there were only a couple of IS Turbos but as demand has grown, the price has gone down on kits.

There are quite a few turbos now. I know one a fella in the ATL with one.

But stock for stock, a G35 will hand the IS300 it's butt any day of the week in a straight-line.

1SICKLEX's words and comments do not reflect Lexus corp, ClubLexus nor his mother's.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So... is the IS going to remain for many more years? A model change? Anything?

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I heard that it's going through a major redesign in body and performance.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

1 - 17 of 17 Posts