Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a recurring issue with my 2005 G35 6mt Sedan for about a year and a half. The driver side rear brake gets stuck randomly causing the car to shake violently.

I have had the car in the shop over 4 times for this issue and they can't seem to determine what is wrong with it. So far the caliper has been replaced 4 times under warranty, the rotors have been replaced 3 times and the pads have been replaced 4 times. I have also had the brake lines to the right rear replaced. None of these have fixed the issue and intermittently the brake still locks up.

To make matters more confusing, the brake only appears to lock up on the highway going 60+mph. If I shut the car off while driving and restart it, the brake unsticks and the shaking goes away.

My thinking it that I might be an electrical issue, possibly a bad ABS wheel speed sensor, however I do not have any dashboard lights on indicating electrical faults as I've seen in other posts. My other though is a bad master cylinder, but wouldn't all brakes be effected if this was the case, and would restarting the car fix/reset the issue?

Other than this one issue the car has been excellent! I would love to keep it running for as long as possible, but I am hesitant about putting more money into repairs if I can't solve this problem. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
The usual suspects have been replaced. About the only thing I can think of in addition to what you mention is the ABS module. It could be sending a signal to that caliper to lock up.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I agree it's probably an intermittent electricial signal related to the ABS set up.

The lines and fluid or the mechanical related stuff like pads / calipers wouldn't seem to behave that way.... especially if there is a pattern at approx 60 mph. That makes it quite an interesting issue.

Whether it's an erroneous signal send to the ABS or by the ABS, I'm not sure, nor how they'll determine other than swapping out the ABS unit to see if it corrects it, but that is my guess.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have you changed the parking brake shoes or adjusted the cables? My passenger rear was doing something similar to this a while back, and I ended up having no parking brake shoes on that side.

They're commonly neglected, and it started after I washed my car. I let it sit for a few days and the shoes had stuck to the inside of the disc/drum, and when I went to move the car it stuck for a brief moment and then lurched forward. This caused the friction material to dislodge from the baking plate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2011 G37 after installing brand new rotors and pads. It turns out that the top guide pin's rubber busing at the end of the pin was swollen and created pressure. so the outside pad was always pressed from the bottom and the top of the pad never touched the rotor.

To check if you have the same issue. Take the top guide pin out and if it behaves like a spring and being pushed back out, then you need to replace the rubber bushing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts