Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to doing the installation. Aside from getting to the screws on the inside wheel wells to remove the bumper, the install was quite easy. This thing sounds bad ass!!! Even if I'm not going any faster, at least it *sounds* like I am. ;)

Here is where the intake filter sits:

peace

·
Registered
46 Posts
Man thanks for the pictures! I have been waiting to see some pictures of a coupe with this thing installed for awhile.

Now I understand why the bumper has to be removed. Thanks again

Brilliant Silver G35 Coupe
5 speed
Everything but NAV
http://www.corevoltage.com

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I wonder how difficult it would be to avoid hydrolock in 10 inches of heavy rainfall.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Pretty difficult it looks like.

gumbee,

Have you done any research on this intake on the other sites? I could have sworn Injen was now saying NOT to install it on the 6MT coupe because its causing stall outs at high speeds. I don't really know enough about cars to understand the full nature of the stalls, but here's a link:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthr...ber=67370574&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Sorry to rain on your parade, dude, but I'd rather not see you go flying off the highway.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting. That thing looks amazing in there, but I guess if it stalls out, that could be a big problem! Let us know if you experience any problems gumbee.

That thing could turn into a really expensive straw in big puddles. [:p]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Some CAI's include a quick change adapter that allows you to quickly disconnect the bottom filter and attach one up top. This is convenient for rainy days. If I'm not mistaken, the company was 'Place racing', and had them available for mid generation Nissans. I have to see if they have something for the G's. If they do, I'll post later. Gumbee, we don't mean to bring you down. I know that it must of taken you an entire evening if not more to install your CAI, and you sure must of felt a sense of great accomplishment which we do not intend to destroy. We just want to let you in on the hazards that are also involved with CAI's on most new cars these days. The high speed stalling I personally didn't know about, but water damage is a concern that I have always warned CAI owners about. So take all these tips into consideration, and I hope you live in a dry climate area, so you can get the most out of your new mod.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XL: Damn...where the hell do you live that you have to drive in 10" of rain? I live in CA, so that much rain would be pretty extreme. I will admit though, on days with heavy rainfall, I will probably be driving one of my other cars. Better safe than sorry.

Regarding cleaning/chaning the filter, it will be a b!tch. There is no way to extract the down tube with the filter on the end, and there is no room to try to remove the filter with the tube in place. I forsee 2 possibilities: 1) Remove the bumper...again. 2) Remove the front most underside skid plate. This might provide enough room to pull the filter.

Semi: Thanks for the heads up!!! I actually have the 5AT, so it might not be a concern. However, I have sent an email to Injen to find out what the scoop is. When I hear back, I will post their response.

peace

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think you may be ok then. From what I understand, they developed it with a 5AT and assumed the two cars would respond in the same way to the mod, which apparently they don't.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Gumbee, yeah it gets nasty here in Miami man. People think that South Florida is all about beaches & bitches, but we get some of the nastiest flooding in a sub trobical climate known. Last July there was a rainstorm that lasted 5 days in a row and you would see poeple in canoes in some areas of high flooding (not my neighborhood thank god). Yeah my cousins live in Glendale and they say that it hardly ever rains there, but your plan of having other vehicles on the side for those ugly days sounds smart anyways. Precaution is always necessary. Besides, it is an expensive toy after all. This is the main reason that I might think twice about lowering my car, although the area I live is well above sea level...

XL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As promised...peace

Please let the G35 6 speed owners know this:

It is not conclusive at this time that our intake will make the G35 stall. We have heard from several Infiniti dealers that there have been zero problems on any of the models with the Injen intake. It seems to me to be a very isolated situation. At this time, we have also heard that a few Altima V6, 350Z, and G35 have had stalling problems on a stock vehicle. There maybe a situation even without the Injen intake. We did prototype on the Coupe automatic but also know it fit the sedan and 6 speeds. No testing occurred on the 6 speed and we do have one scheduled for testing. Many individuals are worried about this stalling. We have sold many G35 intakes and I have personally only heard of 3 individuals. I believe word is traveling very quickly on the forums and causing panic. I suggest if you have a problem with the intake ALREADY installed on your vehicle, call Injen directly. We do not go on every forum. If you call with a G35 problem, please have the manufacture date of your vehicle which you will find on your driver's side door.

Regards,

Ryan Takashima
Vice President
Injen Technology

·
Registered
1 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gumbee

As promised...peace

Please let the G35 6 speed owners know this:

It is not conclusive at this time that our intake will make the G35 stall. We have heard from several Infiniti dealers that there have been zero problems on any of the models with the Injen intake. It seems to me to be a very isolated situation. At this time, we have also heard that a few Altima V6, 350Z, and G35 have had stalling problems on a stock vehicle. There maybe a situation even without the Injen intake. We did prototype on the Coupe automatic but also know it fit the sedan and 6 speeds. No testing occurred on the 6 speed and we do have one scheduled for testing. Many individuals are worried about this stalling. We have sold many G35 intakes and I have personally only heard of 3 individuals. I believe word is traveling very quickly on the forums and causing panic. I suggest if you have a problem with the intake ALREADY installed on your vehicle, call Injen directly. We do not go on every forum. If you call with a G35 problem, please have the manufacture date of your vehicle which you will find on your driver's side door.

Regards,

Ryan Takashima
Vice President
Injen Technology

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Someone must not have told Mr. Takashima that, last week, the Injen techs discovered the problem with their CAI causing 6MT Coupes to stall. It has to do with the MAF and the fact that the intake is exposed to the high speed wind passing over the filter due to its up front/out there positioning.

Check this thread on G35Driver.com.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=13&Number=43724&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Screamin' Daemon [image]http://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix/suprhulk_1049031571.jpg[/image]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts