Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mac Gordon

After thirteen years of dismaying sales and a bath of red ink for its parent Nissan, Infiniti has turned the corner in no uncertain terms. Infiniti’s U.S. sales zoomed 23 percent last year — and a segment-topping 41 percent in the first quarter of 2003 — thanks to lively demand for car-of-the-year G35 and new FX35/FX45 SUVs.

The 162 Infiniti dealers couldn’t be more pleased, after more than a decade of being badly outsold by Toyota’s Lexus luxury brand it started in business with 13 years ago. Lexus is still dominant, but Infiniti is making waves with its new products. As Infiniti dealer Dave Hutton of Los Angeles exults, “We sold 75 G35 sedans and coupes last month, compared to 50 Infinitis all told a month before the new G35 came on board a year ago. It’s like a brand new franchise.”

What saved Infiniti from being scuttled after Renault bought a 44-percent stake in a near-moribund Nissan in 1990 was a decision by Carlos Ghosn, the newly-named CEO of Nissan, to roll the dice on the luxury brand. Ghosn named a top Renault product developer, Patrick Pelata, to design new rear-drive cars for Infiniti with high-performance engines. The G35’s 3.5-liter V-6 generates 260 hp, nearly 20 percent more than luxury rivals BMW 330i and Mercedes-Benz C320.

Starting at a $27,100 MSRP, the G35 has ramped up sales to about 5000 cars a month in short order, prompting Infiniti Division general manager Mark McNabb to fret that dealers should be braced for unaccustomed high numbers lest their quality of service suffer. FX sales, meanwhile, started out above the 2000-a-month mark in February, surprisingly nearly even with competitors BMW X5 and Mercedes M-Class.

“When you’re hot, you’re hot,” says owner John Capps of the nine-luxury-brand Plaza Motor Mall in St. Louis, Missouri. His office is in the Infiniti building, overlooking a suddenly busy showroom.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport

·
Registered
172 Posts
wow thats awesome! maybe they will build a new plant or two so they can get everyone's cars out faster...how many plants do they have now?

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My fiance pointed that out this afternoon. Saw a Mirano next to an explorer and she said, "Why buy an explorer for more money when it's going to look so outdated in a few years" All of Nissan's cars are now very advanced and futuristic looking.

The ONLY problem I have with Nissan right now is that they are adding a lot of 'required' packages with some options. IE, you want the nav, you gotta buy the Prem, etc. The new MAX is really bad with that!

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Dear Nissan,

You're off to a good start with Infiniti. Now don't screw it up. Stop trying to be the bargain basement luxury manufacturer. If you want to attack Lexus, use a play from their book. Come out strong with high end luxury even if it doesn't make money to push the image of the brand. Then make relatively inexpensive lower end models with lots of excitement and your customers will feel a little prestige in their cars.

Regards,
Semi

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

Dear Nissan,

You're off to a good start with Infiniti. Now don't screw it up. Stop trying to be the bargain basement luxury manufacturer. If you want to attack Lexus, use a play from their book. Come out strong with high end luxury even if it doesn't make money to push the image of the brand. Then make relatively inexpensive lower end models with lots of excitement and your customers will feel a little prestige in their cars.

Regards,
Semi
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with the above for every car in the Infiniti lineup except the FX.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport

1 - 5 of 5 Posts