Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned the throttle bodies following this guide to a tee DIY: Clean your throttle bodies - G35Driver being extremely careful with the buttefly valves cause I know thay have a delicate motor and now my idle SURGES out of control between 1500 and 2500 rpm every second. It's throwing engine codes and none of the reset procedures work.

Had to take it to the dealership and they flashed the ECU and still could'nt get it to reset idle position now they're saying I need new throttle bodies which they want $2500 for just in parts.

Took it to nissan specialty shop - same problem, ECU won't reset the idle. Car is barely drivable and is burning the hell out of the clutch with the reving and running lean.

So now I'm off to scour junkyards for used throttle bodies unless someone else has any other ideas? PLEASE don't say "try the reset procedure with the gas pedal".

Thanks

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Damn, that sounds like a nightmare...more specifics might help. ANY OTHER variables? Do anything else lately to the G at ALL? Does it seem that both TBs are doing the same thing?....that just sounds rediculous

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
My thoughts are if the dealer couldn't fix it with a reset, then you might need a new throttle body. I'd get a used one. Go to a Nissan dealer to get it replaced if you have to get a dealer to do it. you could also get a new one online at a discounted price compared to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
$2500 for 2 TB's is like...umm..robbery. You can find a whole G engine for that price range.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Sorry to hear of that.

Did you post this issue everywhere there is a car forum (nissan, infiniti) ? There are a lot of motorheads out there and the large number of Nissan motors on the road makes me think you'll find some input from someone out there that had this happen. Maybe even a service tech familiar with it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sorry to hear of that.

Did you post this issue everywhere there is a car forum (nissan, infiniti) ? There are a lot of motorheads out there and the large number of Nissan motors on the road makes me think you'll find some input from someone out there that had this happen. Maybe even a service tech familiar with it.
Good luck.
I agree. I didnt hqve this issue when cleaning my TB..but Im sure someone else has. FPW away!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea obviously $2500 is rediculas I found them for like $130 each from the states (Im in Canada) I've never even heard of someone breaking them by cleaning nevermind both but I don't really know what other step I can take. if the dealership and the nissan specialty shop couldn't do anything short of telling me to get new throttle bodies. I put it on the other G35 forums cause I think if anyone knows about it, will be someone with a 2nd gen vq but I could try other car forums.

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
I'm going to assume you went back over all the connections and triple checked that you did not pinch a gasket causing a vacuum leak?

just a thought but it might just be 1 throttle body that is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea Thatguy myself and the specialty shop went over the connections because it behaves exactly like a vaccum leak like you said, but it's all fine. Gonna take it all apart on thursday to see if the butterflys arent closing all the way maybe play with those adjustment screws before i get new ones.

Will let you guys know what happens, and thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
did you replace the o-ring? possible it didnt reseal correctly when putting it back together... if his was that dirty at 26k, i think im gonna check mine, its at 60k... ill get an idle flutter every once in a great while

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok guys, assuming no females in the bunch, whatever u do, do not touch the screws on top of the throttle bodies. They have absolutely nothing to do with the issue. I encountered the same incident while servicing an O7 G35. The problem is that with time ECM ,to a degree, learns the position it needs to open the throttle plates to maintain the target idle speed. With these g35s, 07 & 08, the problem with the idle after cleaning TWO throttle bodies is that now we have a much larger amount of air passing thru the throttle bodies and the throttle plates at their old position that prior to cleaning had a larger gap then when new. At this point the ECM can no longer adjust the idle down because it is outside of its parameters. I stumbled across an old service bulletin from Infiniti that recommended reprogramming the ECM on that other model. So I found that there was a newer version for the 07 I was servicing. I reprogrammed theECM and performed the idle speed procedure and problem fixed. As an Infiniti tech, I know that not all Infiniti techs are created equally, not to beak now-it-all, but the car's automatic transmission needs to be warmed up to complete the idle relearn. To avoid this problem in the first place, I have found that cleaning the throttle bodies by spraying any silicone spray on a lint-free towel and wiping the throttle bodies every 12,000 miles reduces that extreme condition of 60,000 carbon build-up to no carbon. If possible, have the ECM part number read from a scanner and check if newer version program is available. ECM part number is program number, or version.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
^^ Good information. Thank you for posting it. :)

To be clear, the 07-08 model years you list obviously exclude earlier models.

In your experience,
1) Are there any tips or hints related to the earlier years as per cleaning the TB and,

2) Is the silicone-lint free towel an acceptable method on those?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok guys, assuming no females in the bunch, whatever u do, do not touch the screws on top of the throttle bodies. They have absolutely nothing to do with the issue. I encountered the same incident while servicing an O7 G35. The problem is that with time ECM ,to a degree, learns the position it needs to open the throttle plates to maintain the target idle speed. With these g35s, 07 & 08, the problem with the idle after cleaning TWO throttle bodies is that now we have a much larger amount of air passing thru the throttle bodies and the throttle plates at their old position that prior to cleaning had a larger gap then when new. At this point the ECM can no longer adjust the idle down because it is outside of its parameters. I stumbled across an old service bulletin from Infiniti that recommended reprogramming the ECM on that other model. So I found that there was a newer version for the 07 I was servicing. I reprogrammed theECM and performed the idle speed procedure and problem fixed. As an Infiniti tech, I know that not all Infiniti techs are created equally, not to beak now-it-all, but the car's automatic transmission needs to be warmed up to complete the idle relearn. To avoid this problem in the first place, I have found that cleaning the throttle bodies by spraying any silicone spray on a lint-free towel and wiping the throttle bodies every 12,000 miles reduces that extreme condition of 60,000 carbon build-up to no carbon. If possible, have the ECM part number read from a scanner and check if newer version program is available. ECM part number is program number, or version.
OK, I have the same problem and this is the best response I could find on the web. Definitely all techs are not created equally!!

I have a 2007 G35S 100K miles. I changed plugs and cleaned throttle body on 2 days ago. Also did rad fluid, trans fluid and oil. Idle was bouncing, but has improved to high idle without bounce. Hoping it will improve to normal?? Lots of people say the computer will slowly learn and adjust, vs doing the idle relearn procedure.

I tried the idle relearn a millions times and finally broke down and took it to the dealer yesterday. They cleared codes and tried an idle relearn. It would not relearn because the it would not stay in closed loop, keep going in and out. Is this because of the buggy ECM program? They said the temp was 108 (high), so that may have been causing it, but they weren't getting any codes.

So a couple questions...
1 - Because of your post, I asked them to look for update the ECM program, but they said they didn't want to because it wouldn't stay in a closed loop. I think the closed loop thing is just for the idle relearn?? Shouldn't affect the ECM reprogram? Please confirm.

2 - If the high temp is the issue, I probably won't be able to do the relearn until it gets resolved. Dealer thinks it may be a temp sensor?? I find that hard to believe, it's usually the thermostat. What do you recommend?

3 - Last, will the computer slowly adjust the idle to normal? I am just going crazy and all I have to do is wait?

Many thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing...change the spark plugs and saw the dirty TB's, so naturally I cleaned them. Restart and throttle bounce. Tried all the manual relearns...nothing. Called the Nissan dealership and he said he wasnt familiar with the issue and didnt want to touch my car. Called the nearby Infiniti dealer and he said he has seen it a couple times. He said all my car should need is a $80 ECM flash/idle relearn. He said over the years he has only seen a couple instances where the TB's needed to be replaced. He was not concerned about moving the butterfly valve at all...

I am planning on going tomorrow to get the dealer to do their hopeful magic...wish me luck!!!

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I was fortunate in doing the unhook battery for 30 minutes, maybe an hour. That fixed it, no resets or relearn.
I bumped the flap when doing the cleaning and drove it a day and a half to confirm the idle was still sitting at 800 or so. It dropped to 650 like magic after undoing the battery for approx one hour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, I have unhooked my battery overnight and all. Tried doing the same with TB's unhooked as well. Manual relearn not working, so I went to the dealership today. They offer free Diagnostics. Kept getting the same code and could not relearn the idle. The tech works on some cars on the side and just did an engine swap on another 07 G35 sedan. He sold me both throttle bodies for $35! I swapped them and still have the throttle bounce!!!! They said if these dont work, the next option is a new ECM. That seems crazy. Maybe the Tech will have an extra he is willing to hook up to see if it fixes it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts