Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
By Helene Cooper and Sheryl Gay Stolberg

updated 12:59 p.m. PT, Sat., March. 7, 2009
WASHINGTON - President Obama declared in an interview that the United States was not winning the war in Afghanistan and opened the door to a reconciliation process in which the American military would reach out to moderate elements of the Taliban, much as it did with Sunni militias in Iraq.

Mr. Obama pointed to the success in peeling Iraqi insurgents away from more hard-core elements of Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, a strategy that many credit as much as the increase of American forces with turning the war around in the last two years. “There may be some comparable opportunities in Afghanistan and in the Pakistani region,” he said.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
March 6, 2009

From Today's Rush LImbaugh Show

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Did you vote for this? There are people starting to have doubts. One of them is no less than Whoopi Goldberg, who went into a rant this morning on The View, talking to her cohost, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

GOLDBERG: You remember that movie Network? If you are just fed up, at some point, just lean out your window (laughter) and scream, "I'm mad as hell," 'cause that's what's happening to me. I'm losing my mind, because I don't understand why -- like they -- one of the things that I saw recently, they have this whole thing about taxing "the wealthy." Okay. Now, I don't mind that. I don't mind paying a little more tax 'cause I make a good living.

HASSELBECK: Sure.

GOLDBERG: But I don't want to get it coming and going. I don't want to get the federal raised and then the state raised and then the phone tax raised and then the television tax raised --

HASSELBECK: City tax raised!

GOLDBERG: -- and then the city tax. Back off me!

RUSH: That is Whoopi Goldberg on The View today. It sounds like she might want Obama to fail. It sounds like she might not be fully with the program. She's starting to ask herself, "I voted for this?" She's right about something here, something that we haven't talked about. The federal tax increase, when the Bush tax cuts sunset, that'll take it up to 39.6%, then the charitable deductions. Guess what? Guess what people are just now starting to figure out? "Well, you know, if he reduces deductibility on charitable donations down to 28%, that means a lot fewer people going to be donating in the private sector!" That's right. "Well, guess who's going to come and take over?" The government is going to be in charge of charity. This is the plan! Whoopi, you're on the right path. You gotta understand what all these taxes on you mean.

And you're right. The television tax... You're going to get a double whammy, triple whammy living in New York. How about this statistic: 25% of office space in New York is now vacant. I saw that this morning. I'm running that down. Twenty-five percent of office space in New York vacant? They're going to have to raise taxes, Whoopi. They're going to have to raise taxes. So, in addition to the federal, the states are going to see that, and the states are going to raise taxes, and then the city is gonna raise taxes. You're going to have taxes raised everywhere. I'll tell you, it's very simple, folks. It's because everybody is spending money they don't have. They are spending money that has not even yet been printed. They're spending money that has not yet been earned.

They are spending wealth that has not yet been created.

Your children's children, your great-grandchildren, they are broke the moment they're born. They are broke when they get their first job. Whoopi Goldberg is one of the 40,000 people in New York City that pay over half New York City's budget operations. Forty thousand people out of eight million, Whoopi, pay and make New York happen -- and the mayor is concerned that some people might start leaving if he raises their taxes. But he's going to have no choice, the way he thinks. Whoopi, I am #1. I got out of there in 1997, and they still audit me every year. You could be #2. You could tell Barbara Walters that you want a satellite studio in Florida, where there is no state income tax, same time zone, you could be on remote. You could see Robin Williams -- who's in the hospital down here, poor guy, with heart problems.

But if Whoopi Goldberg is starting to see this, starting to feel it... She thinks everybody is coming at her now. They're coming at her both ways. I don't care how long it took. I don't care why she started realizing it. The fact is, she has. I hope... I always run the risk here, folks, when I point these things out -- in trying to praise people, in trying to lavish praise on somebody like Whoopi -- that she'll be offended that I'm the one praising her and go back on The View minimum and totally change her opinion. Since I agree with her, she can't afford have that position and start back up her tax increases or what have you, but hopefully not.

END TRANSCRIPT

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
OB impresses the hell out of me. Even as he pushed his stimulus plan and offered a record-shattering budget, continually painting the economic outlook in the bleakest of terms, he comes out Tuesday to talk up the free-falling financial markets. The message is he thinks NOW is time to buy stocks, no matter all major indices continue to slide. You see, that there was some darn good advice! Establishing a systematic investment program to park their $13 per paycheck tax savings surely would promote stock ownership among lower income Americans. Don't worry, it will be a federally regulated program. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is Gard being serious, or is this more of his political rancor, i can't tell & i'm waiting on the punchline!!
I really believe that Obama is probably the first president of the US to actually do what he promised. He is really doing a good job at what he promised. Plus I am glad he won, now the democrats can really see what has become of their party. The republicans have betrayed their values and shifted left to where the democrats use to sit and the democrats have shifted even further left.

·
Registered
18,809 Posts
My head is hurting now. Maybe i am over thinking this but if this is some elaborate joke, then it is satirical genius... if not, then perhaps i just can't or won't accept that you would do a 180 so quickly... dammit i can't call it, damn you Gard, damn you... you filthy stinkin' butcher, you're blind!!

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
OB impresses the hell out of me. Even as he pushed his stimulus plan and offered a record-shattering budget, continually painting the economic outlook in the bleakest of terms, he comes out Tuesday to talk up the free-falling financial markets. The message is he thinks NOW is time to buy stocks, no matter all major indices continue to slide. You see, that there was some darn good advice! Establishing a systematic investment program to park their $13 per paycheck tax savings surely would promote stock ownership among lower income Americans. Don't worry, it will be a federally regulated program. ;)
hey, don't underestimate the power of $13...heck you could buy a share of:

AIG...........0.35
GM...........1.45
Citibank....1.03
B of A.......3.14
GE...........7.06
--------------------
Total........13.03

Plus, if you act now and throw in another 1.07 of your hard earned money, you could splurge and add a share of Ford.
There you go....SIX shares of major muti-billion dollar companies can be yours for a mere $14.10 :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you really think that two month's worth of Obama policy has had an effect on very much of anything? Lets just go ahead and tax everyone who creates jobs... that'll be good for economic growth!

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you really think that two month's worth of Obama policy has had an effect on very much of anything? Lets just go ahead and tax everyone who creates jobs... that'll be good for economic growth!
You don't think he has had very much of an effect on much of anything? If nothing else, what about the big stimulus bill he just signed?

I think the worse thing he has done to me so far is made it very expensive for me to go shooting, that's if I can find ammo!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
In his first month in office BO has pushed through an unprecedented $787 billion pork-laden economic stimulus package, announced plans to save the car industry, stabilize the stricken banking sector and stem the flood of home repossessions. Then came his near-$4-trillion budget, one of the most audacious agendas ever announced by a new president. He declared his intention not just to pump trillions of dollars into a short-term rescue for the economy, but also to press ahead with enormously costly plans to trigger a green industrial revolution, transform education and provide health coverage to all Americans. These are long term issues that have bedeviled Congress and other presidents for decades and achieving just one would be an extraordinary achievement. But BO wants all three, and RIGHT NOW fast. It is a manifesto document of such staggering ambition and risk that even some Democratic BO supporters are suddenly beginning to feel nauseous. There have been only a few watershed moments in U.S. history, and this is one. Because the public rejected the presidency that preceded him, he believes he has a mandate to reshape governing philosophy and electoral alignment. He is trying to crush conservatism and end the age of anti-tax, anti-regulation policies that have been the guiding philosophies of U.S. governance for more than a generation. He wants to usher in a New Deal-Great Society wealth redistribution and central federal intervention program of staggering proportion. He is gambling not only his own presidency, but the future well being of the country in his attempt to make govt indispensable to you. If he fails, he could bankrupt the world's largest economy. You should be scared.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If he doesn't fail, he'll bankrupt the world's largest economy and strip every citizen of their freedoms (not that most care); so I fail to see how his failing is bad.

And with more and more states starting talk of pushing back against the feds for over stepping their boundaries, the likelihood of failure just keeps increasing.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts