Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently in the market for a new car. I'm looking at the 350z track, g35c 6mt, and the WRX STI. I've test driven the 350z and it handles pretty well, however acceleration was less than I expected. The only complaints I have are more of the practical issues (ie lack of rearward visability, 2 seats (hey I'm single and w/o kids..no biggie), and lack of a trunk. The salesman let me drive it pretty hard. Didn't really notice too much understeer. The ride was firm, but liveable in terms of a daily driver.

I haven't test driven a G35c yet, but I assume it's going to be a little more plush. I was wondering how this car handles. Anyone here auto-cross this car? I'm planning on some occasional auto-cross events. As far as upgrading goes, how's the aftermarket for this car?

The STI is somewhat more practical and faster and handles better, however it isn't pretty and has a somewhat low rent interior. Not only that, but I would much rather pickup a date in the other two cars. I'm #2 on the list and mine (white with silver wheels) is coming next week or so. I will test drive it when it gets in before I buy it. I have mixed feelings on the car though...it's fast and handles like stink on one hand, but it's too ricey looking (if I were 20 something no big deal, but I'm hitting 33 soon)on the other hand. Hmm...decisions...decisions.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Spectacularly. There's no understeer at all and just enough oversteer to push you straight out of the turn if you actually know how to drive that well. That said, accelleration will be largely identical to the Z.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm too new to the car to disagree with Semi On, but you may want to cck out g35driver.com where dnyholm is a trackster. and I think riffster on either g35 or freshalloy also runs around the cones.

re your other thoughts, the rearward vision thing is disconcerting in the g35c. but you either live with it and bump cars backing into spaces, or not.

I'd think that (almost) every car has built in understeer; that is, as you slowly increase the speed in a curve, the front will plow outward to the direction you are turning. If you get on the gas, many but not all cars will kick out the rear in oversteer. My take is that the g35c is no different and that may be one of the reasons for the larger rear tires, (not just looks) that is to keep the rear end from sliding too soon.

Can't compare with the track 350z since I haven't driven it, but the ride is still fairly firm in the g35c, but not punishing. Remember: this car is 200 pounds more than the 350z, and a few horses down, so it may be a tad slower and feel a little more bulky. But, in return for that, it probably gives a slightly-less jiggly ride both on city streets and highways.

Re upgrades, they're coming along, STillen has stuff, B&B, Borla's in dev., NISMO is supposed to do something someday (but no one knows when), Injen (ridiculous method to install tho IMO), GReddy is working on some stuff, etc. It's a brand new car and you have to remember that this isn't a Civic; there's only gonna be about 15K units out there every year. That means if anyone's gonna do R&D, we, the public are gonna pay for it when the product comes out. But first, some manufacturers have to be convinced that they can make money at any cost that the buying public will bear.

For me, this car handles well and corners fairly flat for a stock shock, springs and sways. I'm not sure I'd want any more unless I was going to the track. And it does have a useable backseat, trunk and fold down rear seat. Again, to me this is the closest thing to my Koni-equipped first gen, '82, strippo RX7: it's tossable, tho a tad big and heavier, sure-footed, flat cornering and has power. Recall: the first gen RX was about 2200 pounds with about 105 hp stock. This is a 3400 pound car with 280 hp.

The only other car, four door or otherwise in this price category that I'd look at would be a non-turbo (I just have a thing against turbos in that they are a replaceable item--that means, sometime/someday you are gonna have to replace it and it's gonna cost big), and that'd be the RX8. Call me a rotary nerd, but I've had it and I loved it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have to disagree w/ semi on. the thing plows pretty significantly. no you can adjust it with the throttle to get some oversteer. but in steady state corner around a tight bend, understeer is pretty prevalent. luckily the vdc kicks in pretty quickly, even when its off......

-R.

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick

luckily the vdc kicks in pretty quickly, even when its off......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[dunno] Isn't it not supposed to kick in when it's off? What would be the point of turning it off if it automatically comes back on?

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
550 Posts
THE VDC Will kick in even if Off?

Finally !! | 2003 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
336 Posts
PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[clown]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.