Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to remove the plastic guards that came from the factory near both rear wheels. I had body work done a while back and they did not replace the guards on the driver's side. So now the car is mismatched and bothering me. [irk] has anyone removed there's? If so, what method works best? I'd appreciate any help. I don't want to risk damaging the clearcoat/paint.

Thanks all,
Claire
[cheers]

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The dealership wont give you a new one? I'd tell them to take it off, and make them wash my car.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I have no idea how you'd do that without risking the paint. Take it to the dealer, they should be able to, and if they scratch the paint, they get to fix it!

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Why can't you get the bodyshop to provide one? Or, why can't you get one from the dealer? I would be pissed if I brought my car to the dealer for repair and got it back with the protector on one side only!! [rage] Somewhere you should be able to get one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I didn't want to respond at first for reasons you will read below, but since no one has done this before I'll give you my experience.

My previous car ('00 Maxima) had these as well. I had a little fender bender and scratched up the whole area of the Max in front of the rear wheel including tearing away some of the plastic guard. So I just ripped the rest of it off - it left a really stick residue so I rubbed it with alcohol to get it off. Now granted my Max was white and was 2+ yrs old at the time, but the paint under the plastic was a slightly ligher color (less oxidized).

The answer is that pulling it off will not damage you paint. However, the concern is for you is getting it started without digging something under the plastic to begin to pull it off (not sure if you can do it with your fingernail) - a rubber screwdriver may work.

Hope this helps[dunno]

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
They make adhesive removal kits. You can get them at your local autoparts store. They come with some "goof off" stuff, and a plastic razor blade. You could also try asking a good car wash if they have anything that might get it off.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Heat it with a hair dryer and peel up a corner. Use Goo GOne to remove any traces of adhesive. There probably won't be any.

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
550 Posts
What did the dealer say is the best approach to remove this film? Let them do it and if they F&*^ it up, your in a better position.

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
3 Posts
That part of the car sticks out more that the front of the car. Taht makes it more prone to rocks and debris. I would have the dealership or ther person who worked on your car replace the plastic to protect your paint. It is easier to replace the plastic rather than to repaint your lower quarterpanel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I;d love to just replace it!!!! The dealer tells me they don't have a way to get it...NO PART #. Very frustrating. Anyone out there know a way to get that part #?

Thanks,
Claire

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Your dealer sounds a bit shady to me. Infiniti dealers should be able to get any parts used on any current Infiniti cars. Some might take longer to order than others, but I'd think something like that should not be a problem to get. I'm assuming the body work was done through that dealership. Even if they sent it to an actual body shop, they took the order, and should be responsible for replacing the parts as they were originally shipped. I'd bring it back up to them, and if you don't get an acceptable response, report it to Infiniti Consumer Affairs.

Good luck.

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
550 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cmlcoupe

Hi all,

I want to remove the plastic guards that came from the factory near both rear wheels. I had body work done a while back and they did not replace the guards on the driver's side. So now the car is mismatched and bothering me. [irk] has anyone removed there's? If so, what method works best? I'd appreciate any help. I don't want to risk damaging the clearcoat/paint.

Thanks all,
Claire
[cheers]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Did you remove the guards...I hope you didnt. I have some info for you [clapper]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts