Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wider than most individuals and on long drives I am finding the seat side bolsters a little tight, especially on the right side where the seat adjustment counsel is digging into the right bolster and my leg. Didn't really notice during the short test drives as I was paying attention more to the driving characteristics. Anybody else out there horizontally challenged, that have made successful seat modifications? I may contact service at my dealer.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ask the dealer. From what I remember, there was a TSB out about this, but I never took it seriously. I'm not sure if there really is or not, but your dealer would know.

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the dealer won't do anything, im sure you'll be able to take it in to some upholstry place where they can probably remove the side bolsters and also remove the extra leather that was needed for the side bolsters.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right, "enhanced" is probably a better choice, although this word has a positive connotation. From my perspective though, it is a challenge to stay within typical or desired horizontal spec limits.

I did talk to the service dept., and they did say that they would modify the right bolster by the seat controls only, by taking some of the padding and extra leather out. Not sure what extra leather there is, unless they double line it on the edges. Not very clear as I was getting a translation through the service secretary. I will clear up in person when my diffusors come in for installation, and I have the interior council replaced (has a bubble in the top titanium paint/coating).

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Donfleck1 - Just curious how much your dealer is hittng you up for the diffusers and install time? Had this discussion with my dealer but their time charge seemed excessive for what appears to be a simple bolt-on. Thanks.

2003.5 | 6MTs | dp/w | roof & winter pkg
Upstate NY

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had it included free as a condition to 1) buy a stock machine and 2) purchase the car one month earlier than planned. When I was planning to order an '04 though, they quoted $200 installed on a new purchase. Another dealer tentatively agreed to match, but with a disclaimer if their costs exceeded this (which they wouldn't in my opinion).

After buying my car last week, the service dept. called and said the part arrived and they were ready to install for me. I asked the parts guy the price, and he said around $80 - $90 (didn't pay close attention as I was in a hurry). So, if this is a retail price, you can assume their wholesale cost is about 75%, or $60 - $67 plus labor time which should not exceed 1 - 2 hours max (it is a simple bolt-on item). So I would not expect to pay more than $200 installed. I'd shop around and 'walk' through these numbers as I did, which should prevent them 'hiding' extra charges or making up some story about being difficult, time-consuming, or expensive.

Another logic test is looking at the Aero Pkg in the catalog, which is the wing plus diffusors at $550 MSRP/List. This does include dealer profit, and should be a final customer price. You'll also notice that on edmunds all G35 attachments 'allow' for a higher margin from MSRP than the base car. If the dealer sells the base car at MSRP, they make a 10.4% markup, or 9.4% margin. For the Aero Pkg, the dealer enjoys a 23.3% markup, or 18.9% margin. This makes sense as the extra margin is probably provided or "recommended" for the cases where the dealer self-installs the parts (i.e. when customer wants a stock car with a wing). So, if the dealer will install a wing and diffussor for $550, and you assume the wing is probably more expensive parts wise with more labor, I would not want to pay more than $200 for the diffusors. Explain it like this to the dealer and I don't see how they can justify charging more than half the consumer price, maximum, for the Aero Pkg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.