Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for two months now and had some random thoughts the other night whilst driving home. One thing I've noticed is the low-beams seem to be REALLY low. I mean, if there was a big rock or something in the road I'd have very little time to see and avoid it at highway speeds. Doesn't bother me too much around town, but on the highway I don't feel very safe. Is this normal, and can the lights be adjusted pretty easily?

Next thought, how long do xenon bulbs last and how expensive are they to replace? I've seen the kits go for $500+, but am assuming replacement bulbs are cheaper right?

Finally, I can't wait to get my windows tinted to reduce headlight glare from my side mirrors!

Darin
-----
6MT Sedan-Brilliant Silver-Premium-Aero-Winter

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
odd that your low beams seem low. the xenons should be very bright -- even on the low setting. I don't know how much they will be to replace, but I'm sure they are very expensive. I'd guess around $200 each. If they DO go out, just hope they go out during the warranty period!

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That is very strange daring. I have my sedan lowered, and the lighting pattern still didn't drop. Plenty of illumination of the asphalt ahead of me.[:D] Looks like something you will have to inquire to your dealer about...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've been wondering that daring... with the low beams up top, they would have to aim them down more then a HID in the normal placement. In order to avoid blinding other drivers. I'm wondering if that cuts back on the light that "escapes" and illuminates the surrounding area. Kinda like holding a flash light high and aiming it down, vs. holding it low and pointing it out (<-- extreme ex.!!).

Oh well, actually I'm just babbling [V]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I agree with your thinking. Most headlights tend to disperse more, creating a smooth transition between light and dark areas of the road. The G's HID lights are so bright and possibly due to the way they are mounted, there's a sharp line between what is lit and what is not. Lowering the car and adjusting the headlights a bit might actually help.

I'm definitely going to look into getting them adjusted. I don't really care if a few people get blinded. Around here, we routinely get blinded by huge F-80000000 pickups all the time so one more lousy car isn't going to hurt. And I tend to think that the cool blue color of HIDs fools people into thinking they aren't being blinded so much.

Thanks to all for the feedback, I'll have my dealer look at it next month and then take matters into my own hands if they won't do anything. Can't be that hard to adjust the lights manually I'm sure. [bigmouth]

Darin
-----
6MT Sedan-Brilliant Silver-Premium-Aero-Winter

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I don't know what the warranty policy is on the headlights so it might not be a bad idea to look into that before you start screwing with them yourself. would hate to see you void the warranty for such expensive units.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm loving my stacked headlight design! [phatyo]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats X! Glad you love it.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
869 Posts
aren't most OEM HID's auto leveling?

AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]

2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I believe not on our G's Darcy. Auto leveling is a convenient feature, but a lazy man's innovation al together. I prefer the challenge of doing the aiming myself. Hey lead, another thing I noticed, is that the sedan has more reflector surface area than the coupe does. Are you lovin the jeweled design? [boink]

XL

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think it's totally sweet. Sometimes I find myself walking by my garage door, tempted to open it to get another look of my car. Sick isn't it?

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Don't worry lead, I do the same exact thing. Oh and I can get over that big polychrome grill!!!

XL

·
Registered
96 Posts
HID headlights (as you all know) are significantly brighter than halogen headlamps. As such, care has been taken by manufacturers to keep that light from hitting the eyes of an oncoming vehicle.

BMW utilizes auto-leveling headlights... headlights that automatically adjust themselves (via small motors) when the car dips or rolls.

Infiniti has utilized a couple of methods. On the QX4, there is a manual adjustment inside the cabin for the headlights. This can be set based on vehicle load, or tyoe of terrain being traveled.

On the G35, Infiniti opted to mount the HID's high in the headlight stack, thereby offering a happy medium between design aesthetics, and pricey auto/remote adjusment mechanisms.

But they were a little off. I agree that the lights should provide a bit more depth of field for the driver. But Daring, your observation of maximum contrast between lighted and shadowed areas is right on. And that is perfectly normal. That is part of the nature of a xenon beam.

X, your comment regarding auto-leveling being a lazy man's innovation is totally off the mark. The auto-leveling feature on some cars is strictly based on the "blinding" risk I detailed above. ALL headlamp assemblies sold in the US have some sort of manual adjustment screws (for precision alignment after assembly and during inspections).

Enough rubbish about a warranty replacement for the HID headlamps! They work (almost) as they were intended.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

1 - 14 of 14 Posts