Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up people. Well, after finally recieving my G, I must say, I'm thrilled. Can't stop driving the damn thing. While I was waiting for it, I would constantly read posts about the car. Now, I am a big music person, so car stereos are extremely impt. After reading many posts regarding the Bose system, I was anxious to hear how bad it really sounded. Well my conclusion is this: When listening to the radio, it absolutely sucks in every way imagineable. However, when listening to CDs, it's really not that bad at all, with the exception of a lack of brighter highs. But I noticed that if the bass is lowered below 0, it sounds more balanced, with of course the lack of bass. I was considering ripping out the whole thing and just keeping the head unit. But I'm also wondering whether I should just add subs in the back with a remote bass knob and keep the bass setting on the radio below 0 and let the subs take care of the bass. There's a problem though, the trunk is about the size of a shoe box, which is fine with me b/c I don't plan on using it much. But it does hurt the prospects of a decent sized box for bass. I was also considering the bass link from infinity, but after hearing it in a local store, I wasn't impressed. It seemed to distort too often. It may sound better in an enclosed trunk though. If anyone has one installed, please let me know what you think. Or if anyone has a box installed and is running the factory bose for the inside, please let me know your choice of subs and amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, all i'm looking for is a nice full sound. Nothing earth shaking or anything. As long as it sounds good inside, I could care less about whether people outside can hear or feel it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Break your essay into shorter paragraphs please..hard to follow.

If I followed it right, when you mess around with all the midrange/head units etc. speakers you tend to ruin the sound "environment" so i've been hearing.

You might want to consider getting a new sound system.

All in all I really didn't understand what you were going for...ripping out the whole unit...distored sound...lowering the bass to 0...?????[dunno]

aim: johnnzen
email: [email protected]
'o4 sedan

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The trunk is small, but it's plenty large for a normal sized box with one or two tens. I don't think pushing bass to the sub will eleviate the lack of highs, though. That's simply a characteristic of Bose.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Anyone know if they make one of those Stealth boxes for the G yet? Maybe one of those with new mids, highs, and a better amp would make a better sound.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
869 Posts
after reading a few posts, I am convinced that the Bose system uses compression which specifically targets the lower frequencies. Basically, when you turn up the bass it makes the sound less bright. I can only imagine they did this to eliminate distortion in the speakers if they are not component style.

The most simple way to fix this is to add a more powerful amps, so you no longer need to increase the volume on the headunit and have fine tuning abilities from the amp.

I am sure the speakers could use upgrading, but some people are real audiophiles and feel the need to spend tons on speakers. I am not sure of the specifics on the Bose speakers so I cannot say what they are comparable to.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. I don't mind the CD after I fool around with the settings, but radio, espcially AM (baseball fan) is terrible. What volume # are you guys mostly listening to?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm putting two 10's in the trunk and will eventually replace all of the speakers. And as soon as I can get a double din dash, I'll replace the head unit as well. The speakers and amps will all be Memphis.

2003 G35 Sport Coupe 6MT/Black/Graphite

·
Registered
6 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Canton_G35

I'm putting two 10's in the trunk and will eventually replace all of the speakers. And as soon as I can get a double din dash, I'll replace the head unit as well. The speakers and amps will all be Memphis.

2003 G35 Sport Coupe 6MT/Black/Graphite
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey so what is needed to add a sub to the Bose system? I hear you need some special convertor to add the bass...

·
Registered
1 Posts
People seem to forget that there is a noticeable difference is sound quality if you are converting the current setup using a converter to go from speaker wire to RCA, rather then just replacing the Factory Head Unit with one that has a set of RCA outputs. If someone would spend $2500 on speakers and amp and not change the head unit makes no sense. If you want clarity then don't use a converter. Can anyone else elaborate on this? Or have converters gotten better since the last time I looked into this?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Level shifting is a relatively mindless activity so I doubt there's a profound difference.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I might be wearing rose-colored .... headphones? .... but I thought the Bose upgraded stereo sounded really good. I have a Panasonic headunit / Infinity speaker with Infiniti Basslink setup in one of my other cars, and it doesn't sound as good as my G35's stereo. The Basslink gives a bit of punch that the G35 lacks stock, but otherwise the G35 is much clearer.

I'm not a big fan of the Infinity Basslink. It's good for the price, and provides solid bass, but it lacks as much punch down low - it only goes to 50Hz.

I'm thinking a single, or perhaps a pair, of 10" subs would do the trick to clean up the bass in the G35 w/Bose.

Just my .02.

Kal.

'04 G35 Coupe 6MT, Black/Black, Premium Package, Aero Package w/Spoiler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts