Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a used 2010 g37 6mt coupe with 28k miles from carmax. Tomorrow is my last day to return it.
Tonight, on my 4th night owning it, when I get home and put the car in neutral, a loud rattling sound is coming from under the car. after about 5 mins it goes away, though if i drive around the neighborhood once it begins again. It only happens in neutral with the clutch pedal out. I also just started noticing a lot of clunking when going into 1st/2nd gear.

Can anyone diagnose this issue? Is it the clutch? If I dont hear anything I'm probably going to return the car tomorrow. Very disappointed, as it took me 2 months to find one with such low mileage.

Also, can someone explain how to upload a video?

Thanks for anyones opinions.

http://s544.photobucket.com/user/laxfreak4488/library/

http://s544.photobucket.com/user/laxfreak4488/library/

hopefully one of these works.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I'll bet they want to keep the car deal going with you and they should not stall at all getting that checked out right away and proving to you it's something real simple and not major, then fixing it. These cars can and do make some weird noises but I understand your concern and timely situation.

If nothing else, tell them you are acceptable to the notion they extend your return option some to allow them the diagnosis and corrective fix should you be okay with what they find and do.

It's very difficult for me to believe that car with 28k on it has anything major as the problem, ie, bad motor or tranny (tranny, unless the orig owner can't do man trans and effed it up).

Let us know what they will do for you or what you decide. I would not lean toward kinking the deal until you / they find out what that issue is if they give you and extension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I am sitting at the infiniti dealsership now, figured they would give me an honest opinion as to what's going on and if they thought the car should be returned, seeing how they aren't making any money here. The service guy I spoke to agreed that nothing should be seriously wrong at 28k. Unless someone just beat the hell out of it, like you said. I did purchase the extended maxcare warranty. Which should cover everything it may be other than the clutch, unless worn abnormally.

I'll be going to CarMax after this, hopefully with some kind of written evidence from infiniti, and telling them I'd like the return date pushed back until this issue is sorted out. I put down well over half of the cars retail value so I'm thinking they will be alright with that. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Thanks.

I am sitting at the infiniti dealsership now, figured they would give me an honest opinion as to what's going on and if they thought the car should be returned, seeing how they aren't making any money here. The service guy I spoke to agreed that nothing should be seriously wrong at 28k. Unless someone just beat the hell out of it, like you said. I did purchase the extended maxcare warranty. Which should cover everything it may be other than the clutch, unless worn abnormally.

I'll be going to CarMax after this, hopefully with some kind of written evidence from infiniti, and telling them I'd like the return date pushed back until this issue is sorted out. I put down well over half of the cars retail value so I'm thinking they will be alright with that. I'll let you know what I find out.

Okay that sounds like a solid plan. They know your are serious with that kind of dough but should understand your concern even though you love the car otherwise. Most of us will be interested in what you/they find out in the long run. I hope it works out to your benefit.

Keep in mind the 'deal' you did was implied/contingent on the assumption the car needed nothing. I'm not sure there is any wiggle room now and you can't really re-negotiate until you know you want the car and it's "safe" but I wonder if they might toss in something a bit extra for you per time and trouble. Do they do Lifetime oil changes or any services there? I'd be considering something of a small perk to ask about if you can think of anything. It never hurts to ask ! :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so Infiniti couldn't replicate the issue. That's always the case isn't it? But both the guys at the desk as well as the mechanics were very helpful. 3 different mechanics drove it and said from what they could tell everything feels great. So thats reassuring. From the video above and my description they thought it was probably the throw out bearing but couldn't say for certain. I bought the Carmax extended warranty and according to them, if that truly is the problem, the warranty will cover it 100%. They said anytime I get the problem consistently, to call them and come straight in, and they'll have someone waiting outside to check the car out. This is a HUGE step up from the Mazda dealership in terms of customer service, especially considering I'm right outside of Atlanta. It seems most dealerships care about nothing but our money.

I never went back into Carmax. I called the salesman that sold me the car last night right as I was having the problem, left a voicemail saying call me ASAP, and still haven't heard from him. I guess that's how it goes, once they sell the car they're no longer concerned. I'll probably get a reply tomorrow once I can no longer return it. I was planning on going in and telling them I'm ready to return the car and use that as leverage to see what they'd be willing to offer in terms of compensation, but I never did. Probably a mistake on my part.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your insight and suggestions. Its extremely helpful. As a 22 year old this is the most money I've spent on any one thing, probably more than I've ever spent combined! So I'm probably being a bit paranoid.

This seems like a great forum and I think I'll stick around.
And I'll update the thread if I get any more info.

Thanks again bach

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
If your main concerns are allayed and that warranty gives you the confidence,
I think you did fine as the deal stands and I wouldn't be worried about anything.
I doubt CarMax would do much if anything extra. No big loss there.

Congrats !

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Your Infiniti still has the remainder of the power train warranty, which I believe is 7 years or 70,000 miles. That should give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your Infiniti still has the remainder of the power train warranty, which I believe is 7 years or 70,000 miles. That should give you peace of mind.
This. And from what I'm aware of Carmax's 'warranty' isn't like the factory one, it's through a third party and you have to pay a deductible for repairs; it'll come in handy when the repair is more than their $300? $500? deductible.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
So the noise you had, that rattling,,, did it ever get better worse or go away ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts