Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've decided I'm sick of using loaner helmets at autocross. I'm going to try to ebay a good helmet, but I wanted to get some opinions first. Does anyone have any comments about what brands/features/styles I should look for? Or avoid?

Thanks!

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I can see where this belongs in racing, it has much to do with racing. Safety is very important and protecting ones head ranks right up there.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Well said! Somebody give that man a beer![cheers]

But seriously, why would a racing helmet not apply to racing?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate you guys defending my post location, but I can't help noticing that there's more talk about that than my actual question [:D]

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm with you guys. The topic isn't "Dangerous street racing without helmets", it's simply "Racing" which Autocross definitely is. By the way, I got to meet Struan87 at the Autocross in Houston this past weekend and I was surprised that he wasn't 87 at all. He's 24. [:D] I just wanted to say that he's a class act and I really enjoyed meeting him! He made a lot of improvement from his first run to his last and we both had a lot of fun.

[cheers]

<font size="1">'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav</font id="size1">

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you so much, lead_foot! For my part, I was surprised that your feet were flesh and not, in fact, lead.
Also congrats on your great time...sorry you were (yet again) one spot out of trophy range. I think I learned a thing or two from you, and it was cool to see how your car performed with the mods. We'll have to meet up again sometime soon...

And that goes for any central Texas Autocrossers! College Station, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston are all in pretty easy driving distance, so post in the Texas forum if you'll be at an event and maybe we can all meet up.[cheers]

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I would suggest an open helmet since you are in a car, full face for an open cockpit. You must make sure the helmet meets the standards for your racing class. I bought a nice full face Bell helmet for my autocrossing. I would rather have an open face because it gets so hot in my Honda, no AC. You might want to check with one of my old sponsors, http://www.racerwholesale.com/ .

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
With all due respect to you Gard, I would always use a full face helmet. Heat should not be that great of an issue since autox runs are relatively short.

Stru,
stay with a name brand,
stay away from ebay or other used helmets,
find a style you like, then try a bunch on to see what is comfortable.

Most of all, remember that you put a $10 head in a $10 helmet. Don't go cheap.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella
stay with a name brand,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What are some good brands? Do you know a good site to do some research?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella

Holy crap! I love it Don. Great way to put it. I've seen Stru's head, and I'd say it's at least $100 head. [lol]

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
Holy crap! I love it Don. Great way to put it. I've seen Stru's head, and I'd say it's at least $100 head. [lol]
Thanks, lead!
But...how much did you say your helmet cost?[;)]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

stay with a name brand,
What are some good brands?
Start with Simpson and Bell.
You can do a google search and find their sites. If you need help, let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts

With all due respect to you Gard, I would always use a full face helmet. Heat should not be that great of an issue since autox runs are relatively short.

Stru,
stay with a name brand,
stay away from ebay or other used helmets,
find a style you like, then try a bunch on to see what is comfortable.

I do like the full face, that is what I wear myself. It just gets a little hot sometimes.

Also, remember a helmet is good for only one use. They are designed to absorb the impact by shattering in a controlled manner. If you drop or bang your helmet you can ruin it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

If you drop or bang your helmet you can ruin it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Same goes for your head. [lol]

<font size="1">'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav</font id="size1">

1 - 17 of 17 Posts