Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the 6MT with the stock tires on heavy rain highway driving? I assume snow would be a nightmare, but then this is a car I would only drive when no threat of snow/ice exists. Still I wonder about getting caught out of town when heavy thunderstorms flair up. Is it poor at take off and braking in the raid? Haven't had a rearwheel for a long time.........../NEPTUNE

Okay Make my own damn mind up for me!

/Neptune

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
If you're careful, it should be fine. But I haven't done it yet, so I don't know...

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have been making quite a few 300+ mile trips since I have had the car, and have been stuck in some serious storms on the highway. The car has never given me reason to worry when driving on the highway in severe conditions. When in the city in severe conditions, the VDC has saved me a couple times from accidently putting the back end around or when somebody slams on their brakes suddenly, and that ABS has to kick in for me to stop in time. This car is definitely much safer than my last sports car (3000GT) was in the rain.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The rain is no problem...God knows how much we've gotten so far this summer here in Chicago...But there is a more pressing issue with these tires besides just snow and that's COLD!! Because the rubber is so soft and grippy, the tires become ICE BLOCKS in the cold and go NOWHERE!!! Start setting aside some cash for the snows you're gonna need...Dunlop makes an excellent snow tire for these rims...They're called Dunlop Winter Sport M2... They just started making them in 18", so don't fret if you see only 17" in some lit...

The size I'm getting is 245/45/18...They're gonna run $200+ ea...but it sure beats sliding into a curb and screwing up your front-end...

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
316 Posts
Living is Salt Lake City there's no getting around the snow issue. Within the first few minutes of talking to the salesman about this car he told me I would need to plan on buying snow tires come winter. I haven't had any problems with rain though; they always seem really solid.

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rain is fine. In fact, I find that these tires will whisk water away so efficiently, that you'd almost not feel the deeper puddles of water. The car will not hydroplane. I wouldn't take it in snow, ice or temperatures where water will freeze. I'm sure that the rubber will become rock solid and you won't grip on to anything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gentelman, a good word of advie, if it's rainny, just drive slow. I totaled my first G in the rain, I hit the freeway middle divider at about 65 mph. I was problay going like 75 mph max, and the car hydroplained, it took less then a second to get from Number 2 lane to the wall. I learned my leason, doesnt matter what car you have in the rain its nothing good.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT, Ivory Pearl w/Black and Aerodynamics Body Kit with Spoiler.19" Bling Blings.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Considering that you're in another G you must feel it was pretty safe in that situation? (The crashing part, not the hydroplaning part.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seriously, I love the car, nothing happened to me, of course I was wearing m belt, if I wasn't then it would've been a lot worse. So yeah I feel totaled safe, but we always gotta drive carefully you know, life is to presious. Maybe I'll post pics of the car one day, if anyone is interested.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT, Ivory Pearl w/Black and Aerodynamics Body Kit with Spoiler.19" Bling Blings.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would like to see your old car, if it's not too painful for you of course. Did it have all the fancy new side airbags and such?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
There are other threads on this if you care to search...

Here is my experience in the Chicago crap weather so far. Starting from a stop during a summer rain is no problem; the VDC kicks in if it needs to and the car handles fine. Taking corners too quickly will result in the VDC again kicking in with no problems (unless you're stupid [dunce]).

The snow is a different story. I could not get up my relatively flat driveway with a dusting of snow on the ground. I put on 17" ASA KA3's with Bridgestone LM22's and I have no more problems. You still have the issue of rear-wheel drive but the handling is vastly improved and you can safely drive the car all winter.

I hope this helps. [8D]

·
Registered
19 Posts
don,

What is the wheel/tire size that you have going there for that, I would like to know what fits. I am looking into making the jump to a G35c6MT, but it will HAVE to be my winter car too, I just can't afford two cars. (Can't even afford the G, but I can eat ramen for a while if I have to[ghey])

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't want to start another *pilot sports* thread, but I still don't like them on wet roads. Living in Tampa we get rain a lot and the best thing to do on wet roads is to slow down.

Love the pilots on dry roads [:D]

'03 G35 Coupe / 5AT / Carrib Blue / Willow Leather / Sport Wheels

·
Registered
316 Posts
They're a little pricey, but you might consider some aquatreads if it is a real problem in your area. Better than sliding off the road.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
damn sorry about your accident, but i havnt really had any trouble in the rain, the vds system really helps a lot, i live in new york city where we get a lot of snow, and i heard a looottt of stories about the proublems im going to have since its rear wheel drive...

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan : Brilliant Silver : Black Leather : Premium Package : Auto
View my car at http://dbizz.cjb.net/g35/</center></font id="Verdana">

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gilgamesh

don,
What is the wheel/tire size that you have going there for that, I would like to know what fits. I am looking into making the jump to a G35c6MT, but it will HAVE to be my winter car too, I just can't afford two cars. (Can't even afford the G, but I can eat ramen for a while if I have to[ghey])
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The tires are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 size 225/50VR17 for the front and 235-50HR17 for the rear. The Tirerack said that the combination of H in the back and V in the front would not be an issue for winter tires when you are, in theory, not going above H rated speeds for a sustained period of time.

The wheels are ASA KA3 size 17x7.5 5-114 ET35 (bright satin, im my case).

This combination maintains the same overall size as the original 18" wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I picked mine up in the pouring rain when it was new. Drove better than my old FWD Acura CL.

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
19 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The tires are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 size 225/50VR17 for the front and 235-50HR17 for the rear. The Tirerack said that the combination of H in the back and V in the front would not be an issue for winter tires when you are, in theory, not going above H rated speeds for a sustained period of time.

The wheels are ASA KA3 size 17x7.5 5-114 ET35 (bright satin, im my case).

This combination maintains the same overall size as the original 18" wheels/tires.

Nice that is key for me. For my old car, I have some 18x7 wheels that I may try with some tires like that, but I worry they may be a tad too thin.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gilgamesh
Nice that is key for me. For my old car, I have some 18x7 wheels that I may try with some tires like that, but I worry they may be a tad too thin.
If you mean too thin as in too narrow, you will find that for winter tires, a bit narrower is better, as it provides a smaller contact patch to concentrate the weight.

Heh, heh heh. He said "patch". [lol]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.