Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Richard Truett
Automotive News / April 11, 2003

General Motors will add a pushrod 3.9-liter V-6 engine to its lineup in the 2006 model year, the automaker said on Friday. The engine will be built at the automaker's Tonawanda, N.Y., engine plant.

The new V-6 and a 3.5-liter version using the same architecture will be equipped with GM's fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation technology that shuts down cylinders based on vehicle speed and engine load. GM says the system delivers an 8 percent gain in fuel economy.

GM is investing $300 million in the plant for new machinery and production lines. The upgrades are expected to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2004. The Tonawanda plant produces GM's 2.2-liter Ecotech four-cylinder; 3.1- and 3.4-liter V-6s; 8.1-liter V-8; 2.8-liter four-cylinder; and 3.5-liter five-cylinder engines. Employment is 3,340.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't know if I'd trust a system like that. If you had a V8 that was running on 4 cylinders, sure it would save fuel, but wouldn't it add a lot of powertrain loss, or "drag" to the system?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

Sounds like the old Caddilace 8-6-4, I hope this one is better!

2003.5 Blue Sedan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

GM claims it is way better. We'll see, but I believe them. No room for serious mistakes right now for them. Even small mistakes actually.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

I don't know if I'd trust a system like that. If you had a V8 that was running on 4 cylinders, sure it would save fuel, but wouldn't it add a lot of powertrain loss, or "drag" to the system?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

Yes but it will work on half the cylinders only when cruising, etc. Only when LOAD is at low or constant form/intensity.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

It was a flop before when Caddilac tried it.

2003.5 Blue Sedan

That was back in 1981 folks. Give the guys the benefit of the doubt.

Gabriel,
2001 CL Type S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts