Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have tips for better MPG. I have 6MT, 1700 miles[banghead] and am getting around 15 city and 20 hwy. Driving really conservative too. About 250 miles per 16 gallons when the light comes on. Had it checked out but they say they got 20 city and 25 hwy out of it. Damn dealer. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
according to semi, he was able to improve his mileage by shifting around 2500 rpms. Check out these threads:

http://www.6mt.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=810
http://www.6mt.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=827

And there are other threads on mileage here. Just do a search for either "mileage" or "mpg". Also, do you have the nav? The fuel economy screen on the nav can give you some feedback about the way you're driving in the form of a "live" MPG guage. It's the thing with the silly looking leaf.

I'm curious, how did your dealer "check" and get 20/25? Did they take it out and drive it for a while? Or did they hook it up to some machine?

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am experiencing similar city mileage, however, I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip on which I was right around 25 mpg. Mostly cruising at ~ 80mph/3,000rpm.

Diamond Graphite/Diamond Graphite 6MT SC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have nav. The dealer checked the mpg by filling up, driving hwy for 57 miles and refilling and checking mpg. got 25ish. then he drove all city about 26 miles and got about 20ish. they never hooked it up to the computer or anything. they just assumed that it was ok based on their extremely scientific analysis.[boxing] thanks for the input.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For right now ur car still is in a break in proceses, and so the engine will not be at its greatest performance, yes u do have 1700 miles on it but i would wait till about 2k or 2500 miles till i would see good improvements in the fuel economy. if it doesn't seem to get any better after that take it in to a mechanic that u trust and have a good relationship cuz the dealer is just tryin to save his own ass it sounds like from what u've said, and if u live in San Diego i can refer you to a really good mechanic, but hope this helps.

P.S. in the owners manuel there should be a page that talks about shifting points and max speed in each gear, in that area of the book it should also have a topic that says "crusing speeds" these are the areas where you should shift at for best fuel economy. it will tell u the speed and rpm that u should be shifting at. hope all this info helps u[:)][:)]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm getting around 23-25 hwy and 18-19 city. I do dirve pretty agressivly cause I love the way the car purrrrrrrs when you feed it gas. Just my two cents.

G35 Driven -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by tnbooo

Anyone have tips for better MPG......

I was told not to expect better gas mileage till up to 5k !
That may be a bit much but when I bought a new GrandAm 3 yrs ago the salesman was right when he suggested wait till 5k. As I approached that number my mileage improved greatly. (from 20 to around 24 in mixed driving).

I think the reality is that the G35s are not great on gas. But then again we don't buy these cars for the gas mileage.

Russ

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm averaging 16-18 MPG....I only have 800 miles, so the engine is still Green [^]

Finally !! | 2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
550 Posts
Im at 1250 Miles and I Still cannot get over 17 MPG...I do some highway driving averaging 65-80 MPH and in the city, I change gears at about 3500RPM and its sticking to 16.7MPG.

Anybody in my shoes with this?

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Don't forge liberal use of fifth gear. I was rarely getting out of fourth when I was averaging 15.

Personally, I'm skeptical of the 3-5k mileage suggestion. Such suggestions are almost always the creation of marketing people to prevent early returns (much like break-in in speakers...). I imagine that any anecdotal evidence to this effect is rooted more in a reduce aggressiveness as one gets used to the car and an increased familiarity with its funtion.

Just a theory, though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
well craig..i have a 03.5 auto sedan, but i have only hit 20mpg like twice and i had taken it VERY easy on those tanks--if you follow the shift guidelines in the owners manual, you shift at around 2.5k everytime, and that will prob help. My auto is in 4th by 35mph[bigeyes] if i don't get on it!!! Have fun driving, and don't worry about that gas mileage[:D]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow...2500RPm and 4th at 35Mph...Thats some smoooooth shifting..Thats drive-by speeds...[lol]

I'll try that and see if the MPG goes Up

You know what I did last night?..I filled up, and when I hit the Freeway, averaging 60-70MPH in 6th. I reset the MPG Numbers, and checked it out, making sure my leaf was all green. Sure enough, I got a 29.6 MPG....After exiting, it went down to 26.5....As I do more of city driving, its decreasing slowly....Cool little toy...[boink]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I'm with you there, craidgred... I love the nav for the reason you just pointed out. [thmsup]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts