Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just got my 6MT g37 a week ago ... today was the first time i drove it in snowy conditions - we got around 6 inches here in NY...

so i pull out of my driveway and im going like 15 on a straight level road and all of a sudden the rear end just spins out on me... i do a nice 180 degree turn and get back on the road ... 2nd gear .... glad no one was on either side of the road or i would have been really bit*****

anyway, further down, around 13-14 mph ... same thing happens.. this time i travel a good 25 feet in the 45 degree angle while applying the brakes.... i nearly miss a tree .... i just turned back at that point and drove in 1st gear from there on ... around 8 mph with hazards on....

now my question, i've got two explanations for this odd behavior.... RWD (i owned an 07 civic .. FWD, and it was a gem... i was fine at around 30 mph on the same road) ... but im pretty sure RWD might not make that much of a difference ....

secondly, once i got back home, the spaces between the back wheels and the car body are completely filled with somewhat hard snow... so the tires were definitely rubbing against the snow, but again, i dont think that would have made a lot of difference since it is RWD ...

will be glad if i get some suggestions and if anyone has had any experiences in similar conditions.... before i try again tommorrow morning ... :???:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hey Crunchy,
Sorry to let you know that RWD does make that big of a difference in the snow =(... Reason why ur civic was so good in the snow is because of weight displacement. Your engine was keeping ur active tires nice and heavy and on the road, in your situation (as well as mine) you now have 300+ hp with little weight holding those tires down and nothing is stopping them from spinning except ur VDC. there are a couple of options to help and some seem a little ludicrous to the point that i wouldnt even do
1) buy a set of smaller rims (16-17 x7 or 6) with a set of snow tires, unlike dry road, in the snow you dont want more tire. It makes it more difficult for the tire to get traction
2) Drive around with a full tank of gas all the time and hope for the best
3) put sandbags in your trunk to add more weight(along with a full tank of gas) maybe 1 or 2 50lb bags.
4) chains on the rear tires, although i dnt know how good of an idea that is with the RAS.

Or go the route i chose, buy a 2nd car (anything 4wd or awd) not too expensive but reliable (bought an 01 explorer with 100k miles for like 6g) and use that in the winter and garage your baby.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if your gonna take a powerful car like a g37 6mt on snow. please have some idea of fishtailing and counter steering. it will help you understand why your car is acting up. i was driving in snow today and drifting while driving its stupid but really really fun i you can control it and turn vdc off. but i dont recommend you do it. just start from 2nd gear and accel. with your big toe barely pressing the throttle and gear change around 2300 rpm and you'll be fine. 19's on snow isnt a good combo. just be safe and if you dont have to drive while its snowing dont. if you have an alternate car take that. im rambling soo ill shut up now pz be safe!

·
Premium Member
105,691 Posts
You should definitely buy a set of snow tires.....its a must. Adding weight to the truck is also a good idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys ... i think i can get away without winter tires this season .. keeping my fingers crossed though ... for the lone storm i might use sand bags...

i tried doing the same thing in wet conditions the next day but the car handled perfectly ... guess it was too much snow for one day

thanks again !

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWD, 4WD, RWD, it all doesn't matter if you have the sport model. It's all about the tires. The SUMMER performance tires are optimized for 50+ degree, dry weather. The tires have much less tread than all season and winter tires. The rubber compound also does not heat up properly in cold weather. The lack of treads does not allow the tires to move the snow aside or grab into it. The rubber not heating up properly, well, might as well have plastic tricylcle tires on your wheels. However, this is ideal for fast driving in warm dry conditions as the less tread = more rubber contacting the asphalt and higher temperatures required to heat up the tires = better able to maintain tire integrity at high speeds/heat. It's all about the physics. Add all the sandbags you want in your trunk but, anything more than an inch of snow and you'll be sledding. Reading about how Blizzaks work as well as they do will help further the understanding of why tires are 90% of driving in inclimate conditions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
^^^^ what he said.. tires are important.

=\ be careful man!!..

RWD cars are far more dangerous than FWD in snow =\... that explains why ur civic was more stable..

·
Registered
52 Posts
most hi performance tires will not work in the snow or freezing temps.. the tires will get hard as a rock.. and never warn up..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crap ... more snow coming my way .. lol ..

now, whats the cheapest tires i can put on? i really dont want to dish out a lot of cash for something that I'll use for a couple months, and that'll look really fugly on the car :mad:

i'll start looking i guess

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
crap ... more snow coming my way .. lol ..

now, whats the cheapest tires i can put on? i really dont want to dish out a lot of cash for something that I'll use for a couple months, and that'll look really fugly on the car :mad:

i'll start looking i guess
I had the same experience when I first got my car like a month ago.. I say get a winter beater. I'm willing to be the whole reason you bought the car in the first place is that it's fun to drive. It's NO fun driving it in the snow worrying wether or not you will wrap it around a tree or creeping along at 10 MPH.

Get a pOS that you don't care about, drive it on the snowy days and reserve the G for days you can bring it out and ENJOY it. Last thing you wanna do is have it in the shop before the spring gets here and you can drive it every day right?

·
Registered
930 Posts
for anyone in the tri - state area, this weekend seems like a bit of a snow weekend =( beginning tomorrow night we are supposed to get "snow showers". However the good news is that as of now Weather.com is giving only a 30% precipitation chance.....and its gonna start in the evening so if you're not workin the late shift you'll get away with the weather =P

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, looking at a G37 Sport sedan, Tire Rack has 18" Blizzaks on good looking rims, but from the posts above, get the sense that even those aren't going to make a big difference and I should be looking for another vehicle to drive through the winters here in MA?

·
Super Moderator
27,334 Posts
first off welcome

my opinion is even if you have the best tires and car for driving in the snow it won't stop some moron from plowing into you

I say get both, use the beater on the really bad days. Use the blizzaks to save your expensive summer tires.

I have read several people swear by the blizzaks, like its a whole new car with them, keep searching i'm sure you'll find good reviews

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup! I have an 04 G35 Coupe 6MT Sport and i live in Maryland, for the winter months I have a set of ASA (cheap) 18” rims with MICHELIN X-Ice Xi3 winter tires, you still have to be very cautious when driving in the snow but these tires are extremely helpful:) they are Not cheap, but they are worth it and if you alternate between two sets of wheels (summer & winter) you will have both sets for twice as long since each set will only be in use for half the year. And then you don’t have to worry about messing up your Pretty $ummer Wheels in the winter.

Also I have learned that unlike Front wheel drive vehicles where you DO want to stay In the lowest gear possible (for slow & steady Pulling Power) in the snow. With Rear wheel drive it’s kind of the opposite (your Power is Pushing from the Rear) you still want to drive slowly, but GET OUT of 1st & 2nd gear as QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE! They are TOO Low & Powerful for the snow you are going to spin out if you stay in those low gears. Think about how whenever you shift into a higher gear TOO SOON you Loose Power. Well in this case that’s exactly what you want to do:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts