Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!........I'm brandy new and haved enjoyed reading the posts on this great site.........I'm in the process of deciding between the G35 and one of the Acuras (TL or TSX) and just wanted to ask: are there any major problems with the G35 as apparently there are with the Acuras?

I've read many a story of woe from TL & CL owners about their trannies going at unbelieveably short periods of time. Not to mention that the brakes constantly need replacing.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

PS: Can any recommend a good Infinit dealer in NJ?

Russ

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey Russ. So far, we haven't heard of any problems with the trannies (like the Acura's).

I have my coupe on order from Infiniti of Ardmore, in Ardmore, PA. My sales guy is Murray Shore and he's been awesome!

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool handle.[^] Depending on where in NJ you are, I've seen write ups on good dealers in Northern NJ. I'd do a search in this and other forums for more info on good NJ dealers. Then again, if you've got the site adminstrator, VQ, telling you of a good one relatively close by in Ardmore, PA---if it were me, I'd go there.[:D] Call first, set up the whole deal on the phone, then go meet the guy. That's just me.

Re transmissions and brakes, I presume you're talking about automatics. Haven't seen any negatives. Re brakes, seems like some of the cars dust an awful lot (my coupe does), and apparently some of the first-run cars may have had some short pad life. Don't know if that's been fixed, but you may want to do a search on this and other forums.

No doubt about it, you're gonna love it! Welcome aboard---soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks VQ and BONDG35c for the advice. [:D] I'll definitely check out the Ardmore dealer. I live near Circle Infiniti in central NJ. The sales mgr is a friend of a friend. Hopefully this means I can get a good deal there. We'll see.[dunno] It will be interesting to compare the two.

Russ

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it was on freshalloy or g35driver that someone mentioned the problems with the Acura CL Type-S trannies, mostly the automatics. A honda tech explained. Seems that Honda/Acura outsources their automatics to a subcontractor and the third gear clutch plate is very weak. The advice was to get a manual only if you get an Acura or Accord.

So far I've only seen a couple complaints on the Coupe trannies. With the automatic, it will slow down if you drive it slow, due to the adaptive capabilities of the computer. Best to floor it when getting on the freeway, then there's noooo problem! [:D] Some people are babying it too much during the breakin period. There's a simple home fix for this, though, if it comes to that.

With the manual, it's a bit stiff but seems to get better over time, or people are just getting used to it. [boink]

Hope that helps!

Shelley

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can comment first hand on the Acura trannies...

I owned a 2002 Acura CL Type S. I thought I was going to have a typical LONG lasting car when I bought it. Boy was I wrong.

7998 miles, I was driving into downtown Chicago, going 65mph in 5th gear (it was an automatic) and BOOM... Sudden downshift WITHOUT warning from 5th to 2nd. Fortunately there was no big 18-wheelers behind me, so I didn't get killed. Dealer swapped out the tranny. I was without my car for a week.

9989 miles, I was on leaving for work, and I started the car up and put it into reverse. And guess what... NO reverse. NADA. ZIP. I had to push the freakin' car out of the garage. Got that one replaced...

So I dumped the lemon. I didn't qualify for the Illinois lemon law, and I don't have the time nor the financial resources to even think about filing a lawsuit for something that I consider to be a lemon. So I just sucked it up and got something that I'll enjoy and put the bad Acura experience behind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my coupe in December coming off a pair of leases on a 97 TL3.2 and a 2000 TL. Loved both of the Acuras...never had a minutes worth of problems from either one. Put over 50K miles on each. Much higher quality than the G35C in paint finish, interior, lack of road noise, tolerances and ride. Didn't have a problem with the transmissions. Replaced the brakes at around 40K on both cars. And pretty fast as well. Had the 2000 up to nearly 130 once. Great cars. But.....boring designs. I can't tell you how many times I distractedly walked up to a Camry or even a Taurus in a parking lot thinking it was my car.
And they're still nowhere near the fun factor of the coupe. I'm having a blast. I have had 20 year old girls make me roll my window down and proceed to gush over what a beautiful car I was driving. (for car thrills, that ranks way up there for a guy in his late 40's) I'm coming up on 7000 miles and except for some paint chips, and a nav system that seems prone to locking up, I'm pretty happy with the G.
2003 G35C 6MT Aero/Nav/Premium

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drew954...... <font color="blue">"I can't tell you how many times I distractedly walked up to a Camry or even a Taurus in a parking lot thinking it was my car." </font id="blue">

OUCH! That would turn me off too Drew. Gag me with a spoon, a TAURUS!!! Camrys are nice but no personality! No fun to drive either. Maybe fine for the little old lady from Pasedena (I'm dating myself!) but not for cool dudes like us! [:D]

Personally I like the looks of the TL. I think it has classy lines. I was hoping to get an end of the year deal on a <font color="red">TL-S</font id="red">but after hearing of so <u>many</u> complaints on the Acura-TL site I may favor the TSX instead. However, I really like the G35. Apparently the "bugs" have been worked out on the sedan but the coupe is now having some serious problems.

I'm glad you had good luck with your TL. I guess with any car you have a percentage of "lemons" even with ACura and Infiniti. I think that by and large they are quality automobiles, certainly better than the GrandAm/GT that I'm now driving!

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts