Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I've been doing a lot of research on Solo Racing (Autocross) which is run by the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and I think I've decided to take on the challenge. For those of you not familiar with it, you can find out more here: http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/index.html.

In summary it's a race where you take your own car and race against the clock on a closed course, competing against other cars in your class. For the Sedan, the cars are in its class (DS) are:

<ul>[*]Acura Integra Type R RSX-S ('02+)
[*]Audi S4 ('00+) (A4 chassis) TT (180hp, single intercooler)
[*]BMW 3 series 6 cyl. (non-M) NOC
[*]Chrysler/Dodge Daytona IROC R/T Neon SRT-4
[*]Honda Prelude VTEC engine models (all)
[*]Infiniti G35 Sedan
[*]Lexus IS300
[*]Mazda Mazdaspeed Protégé Dec-02
[*]Mitsubishi/DSM Eclipse/Talon Turbo AWD
[*]Nissan Sentra Spec-V ('02+)
[*]Subaru WRX
[*]Toyota Celica GTS ('00+)
[*]Volkswagen Golf/Jetta/GLI 24V VR6 ('02+)
[/list]
It seems the WRX has been sweeping our class for some time, and I hope to change that soon. The Coupe is in a higher class (BS) and you can check out its competition here: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html#BS. These are for stock only cars. They have separate classes for cars with mods which can also be found on that page.

I'm entering their Novice School on May 3rd so we'll see what we can do. I encourage all of you to look into your local SCCA chapter to find out how you can help me represent our class!

On that note, they encourage getting better tires with separate rims for competiton (which I'd rather do in order to not mess up my stock rims/tires). I have the Sport Package with 17" rims. My question is, should I get a set of wider 18's or do you think that will affect the performance of the car (ABS, VDC, etc.)?

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, encouragement, support?

-lf

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Larger diameter wheels will only add weight and not give you any better traction. I'd recommend finding the lightest, smallest wheels that will still fit your brake calipers.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else have an opinion about this? What if I was to get some light weight rims?

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah I would just be sure to get really LIGHT weight rims. Other than that you may be able to go a bit wider of a tire and rim with 18's for better traction...but I do not know much about autocrossing so I can't really say...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Since you will be running in stock class you limited to what you can do to your car. By running smaller diameter wheels/tires you will gain an overall lower gear ratio. That will help in the auocross event by giving you more torque.

2003.5 Blue Sedan

·
Registered
172 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

Larger diameter wheels will only add weight and not give you any better traction. I'd recommend finding the lightest, smallest wheels that will still fit your brake calipers.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

hmmmmmm SEmi~
would 14" do?[:D]
ill try to find a 14inch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts