Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lousy paint on my G35 is stealing the enjoyment of what is an otherwise superb car. The paint is chipping off the hood and roof from road debris. I've never seen any other car do this. My car's color is Garnet. Anyone got this experience or have any info? [timebomb]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, it seems damn near all new cars have disgruntled owners due to craptacular paint. Visit the other fora.

Chalk one up for the eco-**** screwing us all.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I drive a lot of highway and have yet to have a problem with paint chips from debris. Let me give you a hint, don't get behind 18-wheelers. Although my 98 stang GT I had for over 5 years I had quite a few chips on the very front from debris...so far so good with the G though!!!

'03 AT Sedan | Twilight Blue | Willow Leather | Premium

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Mine's been holding up OK... but not great (just over 5000 miles now). Definitely more tiny dings than I'm used to, but not so much that it really annoys me. Like Chaz, I'm particularly picky about my driving habits now that I know the paint on this car has the tendency to chip.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2 Posts
No paint chips on my wife's '03 G35 Sedan (120K miles), but clear coat is peeling very badly on hood and roof as bad as I've seen on any Toyota or Honda or Chevy. Clear coat on grill also started peeling almost a year ago and she doesn't drive in adverse road conditions because we don't have them in SO-CAL. Very disappointing to expect that a near-luxury brand like the Inifiniti would have a problem more closely associated with a much lower priced vehicle. This vehicle was always washed after the Sun went down and waxed regularly. The paint on the sides of the vehicle look like new. Original owner. Well, so much for my re-sale value!

Anyone have any experience in taking on this type of issue with the Nissan factory rep? That's my next step. People who've seen the paint can't believe that an Infiniti would do this.

'03 6MT Cpe, Blk/Blk | '03 6MT Sdn, Blk/Blk :mad:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You're way out of warranty by now, so I doubt your case would even be heard. It sucks that it happened...

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
A 7 year old car with 120k miles on it? Take it to the body shop to get it repainted.

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
No paint chips on my wife's '03 G35 Sedan (120K miles), but clear coat is peeling very badly on hood and roof as bad as I've seen on any Toyota or Honda or Chevy. Clear coat on grill also started peeling almost a year ago and she doesn't drive in adverse road conditions because we don't have them in SO-CAL. Very disappointing to expect that a near-luxury brand like the Inifiniti would have a problem more closely associated with a much lower priced vehicle. This vehicle was always washed after the Sun went down and waxed regularly. The paint on the sides of the vehicle look like new. Original owner. Well, so much for my re-sale value!

Anyone have any experience in taking on this type of issue with the Nissan factory rep? That's my next step. People who've seen the paint can't believe that an Infiniti would do this.

'03 6MT Cpe, Blk/Blk | '03 6MT Sdn, Blk/Blk :mad:

Sorry to hear about those paint problems. Sounds like my 84 Z28.:???:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Weak paint has been a common problem with the G35s since inception. The Laser Red was probably the biggest offender but all had its issues. If a clear bra was installed when new, most of the chipping is avoided, but I have also heard of sheets of paint peeling off for no apparent reason. My friend has an 06 Ivory Pearl Coupe that had paint peeling off the hood as well as the roof and got the dealership to repaint it. Depending upon the relationship the owner has with the service dept will determine if something will be done. Regardless, the paint on our cars leaves much to be desired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts