Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

G35 Coupe vs 330IC BMW??

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  h22_luder 
#1 ·
So what is the deal? the 330 coupe is maybe about 150-200lbs lighter, but the G coupe has 55hp on it. Who will win straight line, cornering and if anyone has had an experience driving both, please share. I am looking at both cars for purchase in the near future.

#2 ·
The G doesn't have 55 more horsepower. If your G35 sports coupe has 280hp and 225 horsepower at the wheels...thats BHP....the bmw lists their horsepower with BHP (Breaking Horsepower...i think) so thats 225 for the G and 225 for the 330ci. If the 330 is stick then it would be a good race if not, then forget about it, the G will eat it up.

#4 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

The G doesn't have 55 more horsepower. If your G35 sports coupe has 280hp and 225 horsepower at the wheels...thats BHP....the bmw lists their horsepower with BHP (Breaking Horsepower...i think) so thats 225 for the G and 225 for the 330ci. If the 330 is stick then it would be a good race if not, then forget about it, the G will eat it up.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think you are confusing Brake Horsepower(BHP) and Rear Wheel Horsepower(RWHP). The G has the greater of the two, by about 55 HP at the crank.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

#5 ·
Good article kloh, that's actually one I hadn't seen.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

#6 ·
Nice clarification Gard, I was about to post that up. Many people confuse those two...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

#7 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xzellerate

Nice clarification Gard, I was about to post that up. Many people confuse those two...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

The BMW is rated at 225BHP, while the G coupe is rated at 280BHP. That translates to 55BHP more for the G. Also RWHP should be about 230hp at the VERY VERY minimun to 240 (where 15% lose with 6sp should be).

Thanks Kloh will check it out.

#8 ·
Ok just read the article an this has GOT TO BE a mistake!!! They had the 30-70mph passing at 25.0sec in the G and 14.2sec in the BMW???
Also with 55 more HP and only 100lb difference, why are they running the same times? (actually trap speeds is what I was looking at, at 96MPH for both). Not that I want it purely for drag racing, but seems the BMW is underated and the Infinity is slightly overated?? (more like 250-260BHP?)

#12 ·
most euro manufacturers rate their cars with all of the accessories (a/c, power steering, etc) hooked up, thus making the rated power more accurate. i dynoed mine and it came out to right around 225. it maybe more now since its well broken in (16k miles[bigeyes])..........

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

#15 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

I love to see any sedan out run a Mustang, but then again, around here there are some really nice Stangs.
Hey Gard, I'm no American car whiz, but isn't there a huge difference between a base model Mustang and the highest end and special edition ones?

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

#17 ·
Gardiner,

i have a question for you since you seem to know alot about american muscle. why do fords, chevys, etc respond so well to mods. exhausts and intakes seem to give them real power as opposed to some of the snake oil that we seem to get. i mean, arent they all OBD II? so why do we have to tinker with ECUs and all just to get 5 to 10 hp?

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

#18 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick

Gardiner,

i have a question for you since you seem to know alot about american muscle. why do fords, chevys, etc respond so well to mods. exhausts and intakes seem to give them real power as opposed to some of the snake oil that we seem to get. i mean, arent they all OBD II? so why do we have to tinker with ECUs and all just to get 5 to 10 hp?

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

Having owned 2 mustangs (and on my way to the third and fourth LOL), I can answer that question for u.
If you look at the size of the engine you can see that it is very understressed, ie the HP to litter ratio is very low compared to most imports. Eg using the G35 coupe, it has a 80HP per litter ratio whereas even one of the highest rated NA hp on a modern mustang is 69.6hp per litter. Mod that stang to only the level of the G and you will get 368HP which will translate to 320RWHP from 278RWHP stock (a gain of 42RWHP). Since the mustang also has a really larger dispacement than the G coupe, it can mentain a better low end compared to the G at that power level (even without the Variable valve timing that the G has).
Now lets look at the 5.0 litter mustangs which are so popular. it comes with 205-225BHP (depending on which year you are looking at). Think about that.... can you see the SERIOUS potential in that engine?(capable of 400BHP using the G ratio still as a guidline). Also it is a pushrod with a lot of years under its belt for development, making it very easy with a lot of available parts for modding.

Oh BTW I am not in anyway implying you cannot mod the G sucessfully, I am just saying that when you start going into the mid 80s and above HP per litter ratio, it becomes more expensive and difficult to make power in almost any car especially ones with much smaller displacements. The BMW E46 has about 104HP per litter NA and you pay for it (55+ grand). But note, its variable valve timing is not is not just limited to the intake valves as in the G, but the exhaust valves are variable as well. It takes a lot more computer control, vacuum controls, camshaft engineering etc to make that amout of power with a good low end. Look at the Honda S2000, it runs 120HP per litter, but try shifting it at even 7000RPM on a track and you will be lucky if u break into the 16s in the quarter mile. Even with variable valve timing it takes a whole lot more to make a smaller engine drivable (good low end) on the streets with a high HP to litter ratio.
I think I may have gotten off the tangent here a little, but you get the picture....
This is just the tip of the iceberg but I am on my way to church [angel] so I can answer any more questions if u want later....

#19 ·
Like he said, the American car engine are not built to the edge by the factory. When you get the flow maxed out on say a Chevy 350 (5.7L) you can get a good 500 HP. The LS1 engine that makes 350hp is the engine as the LS6 that makes 405hp from the factory. It has a different cam, heads, tuning and a few other changes. Most airboxes on AMerican cars are very restrictive, the box on my G35 sedan looks to flow okay.

I gotta go now

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

#20 ·
preciate the response fellas. that explains alot. but i had that problem with my GS400 as well. exhaust/intake/ecu only gave me about 10 to 15 hp at the wheels. it must have something to do with the extreme computer control necessary for the variable valves and all. thanx again.....

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

#21 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick

preciate the response fellas. that explains alot. but i had that problem with my GS400 as well. exhaust/intake/ecu only gave me about 10 to 15 hp at the wheels. it must have something to do with the extreme computer control necessary for the variable valves and all. thanx again.....

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

But you gotta remember the GS400 is still only 4 litters despite its 8 cylinder configuration. Using the G analogy again u are looking at only 320BHP, after which it gets difficult to increase HP. You will need more internal engine mods to increase power on your GS400 after you pass ~340-350BHP.

#25 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Pimp

Sup guys, i am new on this site and you all seem to know a grip about the G sedan and coupe. How much horsepower to the wheels does the sedan have?

The sedan is listed at 260 hp, however it looks like Infiniti may have understated that number. The sedan might put down a number very close to the coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.