Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this forum, and many of you seem to know a lot about tires. I have a G35 Coupe that I purchased last November. I have 9500 miles on it. I have noticed a progressively louder thrumming sound from the front wheels that sounds like a washing machine coming out of a spin cycle as I slow from 30 mph to a stop.

The dealer says that it is coming from uneven tire wear. Since the tires can't be rotated, I asked them for a solution. They said that it was a known problem with the Michelin Pilots on this car. They advised me to go to the national Infiniti Customer Service group. After a month of phone calls and letters, I have zero response except for a case number.

I understood that I bought high performance tires. They are silent and steady at 80 mph, but noisy as hell at slow speeds with a loud "out of round" sound. Has anyone else heard of this problem? The service manager at the dealer said that they were advising new cutomers who wanted the 18" wheel package about the problem.

Any suggestions?[banghead]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
While they can't do a full rotation, they can swap them from right to left. Perhaps this would help.

You also should find a nice stretch of straight road with no cars to your right. Get up to 60 and take your hand off the wheel. It the car changes to the right lane in 7 seconds or less, you have a right drift covered by the warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if this was causing unneven wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wear and tear items won't be answered to. I doubt you'll get a reply. Are the tires at their minimum tread width. If they are, then I'd just splurge and buy a new set of tires. Depending on how hard you drive the car, i've heard you may get 20k miles out of the original stock tires. But your situation sucks. Don't know what to say, I'll keep an ear out for my tires, only (8500km) 5000 miles so far.

2003 6mt/black on brillian silver

·
Registered
230 Posts
FYI....

ITB03-028 Dated April 25, 2003

2003 G35 COUPE; STEERING DRIFT TO THE RIGHT

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2003 G35 COUPE (cV35)

IF YOU CONFIRM:

The vehicle has a tendency for a constant drift to the right on a straight, flat road at highway speeds.

NOTE: A vehicle is said to drift, if:

The vehicle completes a lane change in less than 7 seconds and

with no steering correction from the driver and

when driving at 60 mph and

all four wheels must pass into the other lane during this time (7 seconds) and

while driving on a crown-sloped road of less than 1 percent

ACTIONS:

Verify the incident drift as described above.

Install the right front suspension compression rod from the Parts information section of this bulletin.

Part Number 54468-CD084 Rod Compl Compr, FR Susp RH

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is that the tires are directional spin, so they need to stay on one wheel only, no kind of rotation can be done.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

While they can't do a full rotation, they can swap them from right to left. Perhaps this would help.

You also should find a nice stretch of straight road with no cars to your right. Get up to 60 and take your hand off the wheel. It the car changes to the right lane in 7 seconds or less, you have a right drift covered by the warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if this was causing unneven wear.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
427 Posts
No not necessarly , what they would do is remove the tire from the rim and switch it from left to right. But deffinetly check that whole thing out with your car drifting to the right.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Fwabs is correct, but the issue is compunded by the cost of dismounting and remounting every xk miles, vs the cost of new tires every xk miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

You also should find a nice stretch of straight road with no cars to your right. Get up to 60 and take your hand off the wheel. It the car changes to the right lane in 7 seconds or less, you have a right drift covered by the warranty. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wouldn't this depend on the road? Most roads are made "crowned", mostly for water drainage, so it would be very hard to find a perfectly flat, level road.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
True enough. Try to find a flat one if you can. It's easier here than elsewhere as we're not as concerned about rain.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Nice big ol' 3 lane wide interstate.

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Infiniti Skyline

Directional tires may be rotated from front to rear in order to even out the front to rear treadwear from spinning drive wheels...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But not when they are different sizes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts