Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice! I am original owner of a stock 2004 G35 6MT with 86,000 miles. Fantastic car! There is a speed dependent whirring noise that recently started. The noise is coming from rear of the car and gets quite loud above 50mph. Volume of noise tracks vehicle speed. I have never had sounds like this, a dramatic whirring, NOT a grinding noise. At first I thought it was tire noise, but the tires are almost like new, Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. My previous tires (Bridgestone) got noisy when worn down, but noise level sounded like sensitivity to road surfaces...not whirring, and was not dramatic.

Any ideas what checks to make?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
147 Posts
Post back with your findings. I think I might be getting the start of this, but it's kind of subtle and I'm not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6MT Whirring Noise from Rear

Car now at my independent shop for checkout on Monday, 12/11. They too suspect wheel bearings, not the like-new tires, but commented that mileage seemed on low end for issue. Will update on findings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Car now at my independent shop for checkout on Monday, 12/11. They too suspect wheel bearings, not the like-new tires, but commented that mileage seemed on low end for issue. Will update on findings.
Can't wait to hear the outcome. I had new tires on mine when I had that same noise issue ended up being rear driver side wheel bearing. Had it replaced no more noise.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Findings update...My 2004 G35 has completed evaluation for the dramatic whirring noise. The problem is the the right rear wheel bearing which must be replaced. Work now being done at my independent shop that I have long history with after warranty ended. An expensive repair, total about $625-$650. Parts needed are bearing, hub and grease seal, sum to about $300; rest is labor. For comparison, I contacted Infiniti dealer and their phone estimate is about $600.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Findings update...My 2004 G35 has completed evaluation for the dramatic whirring noise. The problem is the the right rear wheel bearing which must be replaced. Work now being done at my independent shop that I have long history with after warranty ended. An expensive repair, total about $625-$650. Parts needed are bearing, hub and grease seal, sum to about $300; rest is labor. For comparison, I contacted Infiniti dealer and their phone estimate is about $600.
Yup just as I suspected.. mine was bad to the point I could move the wheel in any direction while on the lift.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum, I have an 05 G35 coupe and I replaced the axles and the wheel bearing and it still has the roaring sound at the rear end. The faster I go the louder it gets. With me replacing those parts am I to lean to the differential?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the forum, I have an 05 G35 coupe and I replaced the axles and the wheel bearing and it still has the roaring sound at the rear end. The faster I go the louder it gets. With me replacing those parts am I to lean to the differential?
Yes. The diff should have 4 bearings in it. 2 outer side bearings and 2 pinion bearings. Have you checked the gear oil in it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts