Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I couldn't resist. Got the G-Tech in this afternoon and of course had to test it out. I couldn't find an open track near by at midnight, so I had to find a long secluded stretch somewhere and give it a spin. It took me forever to get it all set up correctly with calibrations & settings here and there and everywhere. Once I thought I was ready, that's when the cars started driving by. So I cruised up and down the road at normal speeds (for what seemed like days) until the coast was finally clear. Turned off the AC and the VDC, put her in manumatic, shifted down to first, pressed the go button and gave it some gas. I was so damn excited, I forgot I had to shift! Damn! Had to start over. So I turned around, waited for another 50 or so cars to go by (very slowly I might add), and gave it another shot. The pedal hit the medal and I was off on my first run. Road was dry straight and as level as you can detect with the human eye, temp was 66°, humidity was around 67% and there was no wind.

I did 2 runs in both directions (in case the road wasn't as level as I thought, and the difference in the 1/4 between my best and worst was .371 seconds.

Gentlemen, here are the results of my best run:

It was amazing! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. In case you missed it, it says 0-60 in 5.73 seconds!!! Yes boys it's an automatic sedan. Can't wait to see some more times. I'm going to try to find a safe place where I can get some more times this weekend. I'll set up another topic with a sign up area later so we can pass the G-Tech around like I had said before.

[boink]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

OK guys, I couldn't resist. Got the G-Tech in this afternoon and of course had to test it out. I couldn't find an open track near by at midnight, so I had to find a long secluded stretch somewhere and give it a spin. It took me forever to get it all set up correctly with calibrations & settings here and there and everywhere. Once I thought I was ready, that's when the cars started driving by. So I cruised up and down the road at normal speeds (for what seemed like days) until the coast was finally clear. Turned off the AC and the VDC, put her in manumatic, shifted down to first, pressed the go button and gave it some gas. I was so damn excited, I forgot I had to shift! Damn! Had to start over. So I turned around, waited for another 50 or so cars to go by (very slowly I might add), and gave it another shot. The pedal hit the medal and I was off on my first run. Road was dry straight and as level as you can detect with the human eye, temp was 66°, humidity was around 67% and there was no wind.

I did 2 runs in both directions (in case the road wasn't as level as I thought, and the difference in the 1/4 between my best and worst was .371 seconds.

Gentlemen, here are the results of my best run:

It was amazing! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. In case you missed it, it says 0-60 in 5.73 seconds!!! Yes boys it's an automatic sedan. Can't wait to see some more times. I'm going to try to find a safe place where I can get some more times this weekend. I'll set up another topic with a sign up area later so we can pass the G-Tech around like I had said before.

[boink]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kick ass!!!!!! [rockon]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hhmmm what exactly is this G-tech gadget again? I must of missed that post or don't remember it?

Anyway congrats on the data...looks good. EXCEPT the calculated HP...that is WAY off from what it SHOULD be. There is no way our cars are as fast as they are weighing what they weigh with only putting down 186 at the rears...just not happening sorry! Taking in 15% drivetrain loss you have 221HP to the rear what is theoretically SHOULD be putting out...but hey it may be right since I heard the dyno numbers for a coupe were dynoing at 220hp to the wheels. Just don't see how thats possible with the quoted times our cars run...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chaz,

That might have something to do with the fact I was manually shifting and it wasn't the smoothest performance. Also, like I mentioned, there are a lot of calibrations to do and because of how it calculates RPMs, it was probably off by quite a bit on that. I'll re-calibrate and run a few more and see what we get there. The only thing at this point that I know is accurate is the timed calculations. [:D]

Here's the discussion on the G-Tech:
http://www.6mt.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=607

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Chaz,

That might have something to do with the fact I was manually shifting and it wasn't the smoothest performance. Also, like I mentioned, there are a lot of calibrations to do and because of how it calculates RPMs, it was probably off by quite a bit on that. I'll re-calibrate and run a few more and see what we get there. The only thing at this point that I know is accurate is the timed calculations. [:D]

Here's the discussion on the G-Tech:
http://www.6mt.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=607

Yeah lead when you get some accurate numbers post them up! Were interested in knowing the entire truth about Road & Track being afraid to punch it! [thmsup] [lol]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
85 Posts
no offense, but YEAH those times are off, at least the trap speeds anyway.....theres no way a car with 220 to the wheels pulling 3300 pounds is trapping at 102[bigeyes].......except of course the Lancer Evo[:D]

"If money is the root of all evil, then I'm a Saint...cause I'm broke." - Anonymous

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JustAnotherCivic

no offense, but YEAH those times are off, at least the trap speeds anyway.....theres no way a car with 220 to the wheels pulling 3300 pounds is trapping at 102[bigeyes].......except of course the Lancer Evo[:D]

But I'm in a G, not a civic. [lol]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_footBut I'm in a G, not a civic. [lol]

[boink]

·
Registered
85 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
But I'm in a G, not a civic. [lol]

whats that got to do with anything[?] i didnt even mention the word civic in my last post......... im just saying that the SC is not equipped to go 100mph+ in the quarter in stock form, even if some g-accelerometer tells you so.

"If money is the root of all evil, then I'm a Saint...cause I'm broke." - Anonymous

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">whats that got to do with anything[?] i didnt even mention the word civic in my last post......... im just saying that the SC is not equipped to go 100mph+ in the quarter in stock form, even if some g-accelerometer tells you so.

Civic, I was just yankin' your chain. I need to re-run once everything is calibrated and good to go. Haven't had time to do so yet since I've been preparing for my Autocross training which is this weekend.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ahhhh, IC.....ya got me![;)][:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
[bowdown]

I believe you all the way.
I have a 2003 5AT sedan and borrowed my friends G tech, and messed around and got 5.8 ! I [censored] my pants when I saw that number [bigeyes]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can Anybody say 5sec flat with some mods...........U think???

G-Class
2003.5 G35s Black/Black
Prim/Sport
2003 CLK500 on order

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one of these GTech units too, and unfortunately they're just not very accurate when it comes to actual performance. They're very useful when it comes to comparative performance, such as after doing little mods to the car, since they're reliably innaccurate depending on how you have them calibrated and where you have them mounted. I've taken my Coupe to the track, and my actual quarter miles average 3 tenths of a second slower than what my GTech tells me they are. What's also interesting is that my 60' times at the track are usually 2 tenths faster than my GTech 60' times, so it's cuttting very deeply into my later times to put me ahead.

I strongly recommend taking it to the track so you get an idea how far off the GTech is. Then you can use it on your own and ballpark the actual figures. You may also want to buy a level. At night, it's very hard to tell when the road is truly flat. One spot I had been using the GTech at I later discovered was slightly downhill. The level can help when calibrating the axes, although the unit is unhelpfully curved and lopsided. Finally, if you truly want accurate results, make sure you keep the mounting unit in the same spot for every run.

Hope I'm not raining too much on the celebration, but better you hear it from a fellow G and GTech owner. It's still a very useful and cool gadget, you just need to make sure you get some track runs to help calibrate it. Some people actuall get slower results from these things, but I doubt that's true in your case.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by EmpiricalG

Hope I'm not raining too much on the celebration, but better you hear it from a fellow G and GTech owner. It's still a very useful and cool gadget, you just need to make sure you get some track runs to help calibrate it. Some people actuall get slower results from these things, but I doubt that's true in your case.

I totally agree. This is a good ballpark device and that's it. It's fun to play with and get some comparative data from but that's all. I plan on heading to the track in a few weeks to get some real times. Thanks for the comments, Emp!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Class

Can Anybody say 5sec flat with some mods...........U think???

4 syllables: Su-per-char-ger.

XL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts