Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Chicago, I'm getting ready to have to deal with this winter crap and needed some winter tires...Found some excellent winter tires called Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22. They're made in both 225/45/18 AND 245/45/18, so I can match factory exactly for both front and rear... They're not cheap ($200/ea)!! But I'd rather spend the dough, than slide into a curb and cause some serious, permanent damage to my G from trying to use the wrong tires in winter... Have heard about using 17", but that's a little too close for comfort over the Brembo's (1+ MM clearance?)... DonP, do you have Brembo's on your G??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I’m in Salt Lake City and will be dealing with the same problem soon. When I first spoke with the dealer he told me I would need winter tires and suggested the Blizzak by name. He said they work great on the coupe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
For me - definitally gonna put on a set of winter rims/tires. Just waiting for a good deal.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
MOFO,
I have the Brembo's and I have zero problems with fitment. I have LM-22's, size 225/50VR17 for the front and 235-50HR17 for the rear. The Tirerack said that the combination of H in the back and V in the front would not be an issue for winter tires when you are, in theory, not going above H rated speeds for a sustained period of time. I don't know if V's are available for the rear now or not.

The wheels are ASA KA3 size 17x7.5 5-114 ET35 (Bright satin, im my case. Also, not my favorites, but they work.)

This combination maintains the same overall size as the original 18" wheels/tires.

I have no problems getting around in the Chgo slop and I drive 50 miles each way to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Can anyone recommend a cheap good set of rims - unfortunately I don't know much about rims let alone brand names?

I see you, donpalombella have ASA - what are your thoughts?

Also, do you think a set of 17" Nissan Maxima/Altima rims would work? Does the FWD vs. RWD design of the cars effect what rims are used?

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I called the guys are www.tirerack.com they recommended some 17" wheels and the Blizak tires for what 18" Blizaks would have cost. They're worth giving a call. Very Knowlegable.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jarrettblue

Can anyone recommend a cheap good set of rims - unfortunately I don't know much about rims let alone brand names?

I see you, donpalombella have ASA - what are your thoughts?

Also, do you think a set of 17" Nissan Maxima/Altima rims would work? Does the FWD vs. RWD design of the cars effect what rims are used?

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jarrettblue

I see you, donpalombella have ASA - what are your thoughts?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jarrett, the rims were not my first choice, but last winter, there were not a lot of good choices either. They work fine and they cost $155 ea. last Jan 03.

I put winter rims and tires on the car for $1388 delivered. I save mileage on the summer tires, I save my car in bad weather and I have peace of mind when it snows. In my case, it was worth it. [^]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
I have OEM stock 16" 5-spoke rims with really nice winter tires on them.. they are 5-100, would they fit on the G35? Or does it have to 5-114?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
OK I just order Sport Edition Fox 5 17" rims with the Blizzaks WS-50s from tire rack. These tire trade a little dry road handling for increased snow/ice traction verus the LM-22.

Total cost shipped was $1,085.71. Pretty good for a winter set.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Last November I was faced with the winter in new england, talked to some guy at tire rack and he and i worked out a $989.00 wheel package using mille miglias HT3's and blizzaks. Not the best looking but unbelievable in the snow, better than my front wheel drive GTP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Does anybody know if the diameter of the 17" stock wheels with the tires is the same as the 18" - anotherwords, is the width of the tire on the 17" rims 1" bigger than that on the 18"?

Reason I ask is that on the winter rims/tires i just got, the total diameter is at least an inch less that the 18" - you'd think you want that extra inch clearence for the snow ?&?&?&?&?&?&?

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jarrettblue

Does anybody know if the diameter of the 17" stock wheels with the tires is the same as the 18" - anotherwords, is the width of the tire on the 17" rims 1" bigger than that on the 18"?

Reason I ask is that on the winter rims/tires i just got, the total diameter is at least an inch less that the 18" - you'd think you want that extra inch clearence for the snow ?&?&?&?&?&?&?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't know for your tire/rim combo, but you really want the diameter/circumference to be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
That's what I figured, but the winter package is about 1" less in total diameter than the 18" stock. That 1" may make a difference when you're talking about snow clearence, but if the stock 17" IS 1" less in diameter than the 18" stock, it's probably not a big deal.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
You get to try these out? Did you use existing rims or did you buy new ones?


<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

Living in Chicago, I'm getting ready to have to deal with this winter crap and needed some winter tires...Found some excellent winter tires called Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22. They're made in both 225/45/18 AND 245/45/18, so I can match factory exactly for both front and rear... They're not cheap ($200/ea)!! But I'd rather spend the dough, than slide into a curb and cause some serious, permanent damage to my G from trying to use the wrong tires in winter... Have heard about using 17", but that's a little too close for comfort over the Brembo's (1+ MM clearance?)... DonP, do you have Brembo's on your G??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top