Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance; I don’t know much at all about the inner workings of an automobile. When I accelerate out of first it seems like the engine chokes for a second before it really has any power. I’ve been driving a stick for years, so I don’t think it’s me. Any ideas?

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
55 Posts
VDC on or off?

'03 G35 Coupe / 5AT / Carrib Blue / Willow Leather / Sport Wheels

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're about to break traction and the VDC is powering down the engine to keep you from doing so, I'd wager.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VCD is always on unless I'm trying to show off for the ladies. I'll try less agressive starts and see if that helps.

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, the next time you experience what feels like massive hesitation, look down for the slip light. Most likely VDC kicked in.

Has to be one of the weirdest things to experience in a new car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid more attention last night when I was driving home from work, and the vdc light doesn't come on. It's not a big hesitation; it's just like the rpms stay low and then shoot up.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Then either you must be doing something wrong. Without a turbo, I can't really conceive of how the 6MT would hesitate like this. In fact, it's a pretty roudy launcher.

Can you describe for us the typical method in which you start the car rolling? I'm thinking that perhaps your previous manuals weren't really sports cars and you aren't giving the car enough gas or you're giving it gas too late when you launch.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
How long have you been driving the G? I'm still not used to the feel of this transmission...it's MUCH less forgiving than my squishy old one.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll take a video and post that this weekend. For now I'll do my best to describe it:

I start out say from a red light, accelerating modestly. It’s within the first second or two that I hit 5 or 10 mph as I’m letting out the clutch. The rpm’s stay at about 1200 and then shoot up to 1600. The car accelerates smoothly, but the rpm revving thing is what’s throwing me off.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
The RPM jump is normal if the engine isn't revved enough when the clutch passes the friction point. That's my biggest problem, too--I never had to match RPMs on my old car, but now I have no room for error. This car does what it's told, and it'll screw up if I tell it the wrong thing.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Is there a large parking lot nearby that's empty at a particularly convenient time of day? It does sound like operator error to me. I'd suggest finding a lot and playing around a bit with the transmission, rev to different degrees, feel the friction point of the engine, etc until you've found a technique that produces a more appealing launch for you.

I certainly had to as the adjustment from my previous car to this wasn't exactly smooth in the very beginning. I needed to reprogram my brain for the ridiculously tight transmission.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips fellas; I'll try that. Occasionally I'll try to drive my old Saturn and it feels like there is almost no clutch because it's so soft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is using premium absolutely necessary? So many vehicles suggest it, but many owners use lesser grades with no ill effect. Sometimes I wonder how much actual difference there is between the grades? Thanks for any input.

Mike S.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The higher the octain, the slower it burns. With an engine that runs as high a compression ratio as ours, the slower burning fuel is required to prevent detonation. I suggest that if you can't afford premium, you probably shouldn't own a car like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts