Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all...

I've just picked up my 6MT and it's obvious that the "Premium" Bose system is, ummm, lacking. I don't want to spend the $ to install a new system, but I think that swapping out the muddy front speakers might help a great deal.

Has anyone performed this swap with good results?

Regards,

Rich

G35 Coupe 6MT, Red

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Rich, if you're swapping out the speakers you'll need a new amp as well. Bose once again has endowed us with an amp that puts out a low impedence signal that is no good for most other speakers.

Semi can probably shed some more light on the logistics, but your best bet is to tap into the head unit's signal lines, replace the stock amp and put in a nice set of components.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
By the way... Welcome aboard Rich [cheers]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
VQ is correct, from everything I've encountered on the matter. The Bose amp is a POS any way so you should swap it out regardless, but the fact remains that it uses a proprietary scheme to squeeze decent volume out of the garbage speakers. It won't be of much use to you. You'll need a little converter box that can change the output of the deck to a line level for a regular amp. From there on it's a normal install. I've seen the converter go from $20 to $80 depending on the shop...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, and for the welcome as well.

I was hoping for something simple, of course, but I'm not surprised to find that I'll need to get into the dash somewhere and screw around with the amp.

By the way, I'm a bit in awe of all of the smilies[hypno]

Regards,

Rich

G35 Coupe 6MT, Red

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Actually, I may be mistaken but I think the amp is in the trunk in a little panel by the spare tire. I haven't played with it myself to verify this, but someone mentioned that on another board. You could splice in the adapter there along with the new amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been unhappy with my Bose system since day one. The speakers actually vibrate in the door casing... the dealer apparently knows about the problem b/c of an announcement from Infiniti...

Long story short, they put some foam padding into the door casing around the speaker to "absorb" some of the disruption, but have seemingly made it worse... I'll note that I usually have to keep the Bass level down to -2, and the Fade to -2 to get even decent sound and avoid distortion from my position in the driver's seat.

I was wondering if there was an easy (and possibly inexpensive: around $1K to $2K) way bto upgrade my stereo w/o having to rip apart my car. I am by far not a technical person, so the simplest solution to my problem the better.

Thanks,
NJS

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have been able to live around the little Bose system by putting the base at 0 and treble at +4 or +5. After all, I got the premium package so that I wouldn't have to settle for a crappy 120-watt Clarion, so I can't really complain. Besides, we have warranty on all factory equipment till 60,000 miles guys, so what we worried about! Blow the speakers, and surely better updated ones will be available. I am going to upgrade my system after warranty, since then it wont really matter. I will probably go with Pioneer Premier for mids & highs, and a serious Punch or MTX base system. Good luck!

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
5 Posts
[phatyo]<font color="blue"></font id="blue"><font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">Good call on the warranty thingy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts