Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunatley in Texas, cars are required to mount license plates in the front. I was about to install the kit that came with my car, but it just looked kindof funky. Just out of proportion to the plate on the sides and bottom, and no real support for the plate on the bottom either. For those of you who have to mount the plate on the front, are there any other kits available or did you just use the one that came with the car?

2003 Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
94 Posts
dont do it, man. for the love of all that is right. i have been here for only a few months, but it seems that all of the really nice cars have forgone the front mount of the license. i have no plans to mount mine when i actually do get a TX plate. btw, what part of texas do you live? may be time for a meet.......

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't put the plate in the front if i didn't have to, but I can see myself getting pulled over for speeding (twice in the past 6 months) and then having to pay an additional fine for not having my front plate mounted. I've had frineds who had to pay a fine, just seems like a waste of money. I live in central texas, what about yourself?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Scooby I am in the Houston area and I believe Dr.Rick is in Austin...where in Central Texas you live...city? I too hate the front license plate mount but also have many friends who HAVE received tickets for this...so I don't want to chance it!

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think StrictlyZ is working on a front license plate mount that doesn't requires drilling the bumper. Might wants to give them a call and get the latest status.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. on the license plate mount. Wasn't thinking all to clearly this morning, I live preety close to Dr. Rick, I live in Temple. Dr. Rick, what field do you practice in? Chaz, So you did put the plate on using the mount, and how did it look?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well I would be lying if I told you it looks good as I HATE front license plates on cars. I did not mount mine though, the dealer did it for me when my plates came in. My car already came with the front license plate mount. I was really impressed all around with North Houston Infiniti's service.

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a story: I specifically told the dealer when I ordered the car to NOT put the front license plate frame on my car when it comes in. None of my cars have a front plate, even though it is the law in TX. When the car came in, I reminded him again to not put the LP frame on. When I went to pick it up, the frame was on there and my dealer said that the owner requires all cars to have them put on as soon as they come in - as it is the law. I immediately removed it and now have two small holes in my front fender. I had the same issue on my 911 but found some body color plugs to fill the holes. Gonna look for those for the G also.

This was the only thing about the buying process that sucked. I zinged them on the survey about that.

6MT Coupe - Diamond Graphite - everything but nav

·
Registered
45 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bigpun

Here's a story: I specifically told the dealer when I ordered the car to NOT put the front license plate frame on my car when it comes in. None of my cars have a front plate, even though it is the law in TX. When the car came in, I reminded him again to not put the LP frame on. When I went to pick it up, the frame was on there and my dealer said that the owner requires all cars to have them put on as soon as they come in - as it is the law. I immediately removed it and now have two small holes in my front fender. I had the same issue on my 911 but found some body color plugs to fill the holes. Gonna look for those for the G also.

This was the only thing about the buying process that sucked. I zinged them on the survey about that.

6MT Coupe - Diamond Graphite - everything but nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Try here.
http://www.bumperplugs.com

"Use the Forced Air Induction Luke"
-Jedi

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/quote]

Try here.
http://www.bumperplugs.com

"Use the Forced Air Induction Luke"
-Jedi

[/quote]

I had the front LP on mine when I picked it up too. I emailed bumperplugs.com and they said their plugs will not work on our cars. Their plugs fit a maximum diameter hole of 1/4". Our holes are 3/8". Let me know if you find plugs elsewhere.

Kyle

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the kit that came with the car and it looks pretty good! My dealer installed it for me when my license plates came in th mail. The lines aren't really that noticeable unless you come up close to the bumper.

It's illegal here in CA too, and I have been pulled over a total of 9 times within the past 10 years, but I have never been cited for lack of a front license plate, even though i'd still get written up for speeding in my previous cars.

also... for those of you still on the fence between BMW and G35, I bought an equivalent front license kit from my BMW dealer for my 530i and it cost me $98 parts plus $300 paint and installation. DOH!

-Drew
2003.5 G35 6MT sedan black on black

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 G37x coupe, and the tow hook hole is offset from center to the left by approximately 9 inches, and therefore, if the Stillman plate bracket is used the plate will be installed off center by 9 inches. It should be dead center. Therefore the Stillman kit won't work for this model.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
^^^ pretty neat!
If you're stock height and OEM bumper, it's the perfect solution. You can get the non-motorized version for about $55. I have the Kuruma Z bumper w/a 1" drop and it was just too low to mount on the bottom. If you are interested in having it displayed all the time, save the $$$ and go with the non-motorized version.

·
Premium Member
105,691 Posts
If you're stock height and OEM bumper, it's the perfect solution. You can get the non-motorized version for about $55. I have the Kuruma Z bumper w/a 1" drop and it was just too low to mount on the bottom. If you are interested in having it displayed all the time, save the $$$ and go with the non-motorized version.
PA does not require a front license plate :D

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
I don't think any of the southern states require front plates.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Maryland and DC require front plates....

When I first bought the car I got the ticket about 4 months later for not having a front tag $70 fine (MD).

3 years later I began working at a different company in DC. DC, tickets you if its not displayed, even if the car is parked (the parking cops here are notorious). Total of 4 tickets in 4 days every day I parked my car, $50 a pop, total $200. I put it in my windshield, they stopped ticketing. I wrote a nice letter disputing the charges, they dropped all of them but one.

Usually in MD i've been fine, went to dinner the other night and a cop pulled me over. He harassed me pretty badly asking if I had been drinking ,drugs use, if I've ever been arrested before, etc.... needless to say I was stone cold sober just going to dinner.... gave me a $70 ticket. I'm writing the check now, along with a nice letter of complaint against that officer. There was no need for his questions, there's nothing I was doing that would suggest I was under the infleunce. I was driving speed limit, it was like 8pm, etc. etc.

Total $190 spent in almost 4 years of owning the car on tickets for not having the front tag. It's still worth it to me to not have the front tag.... it's just too pretty without it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts