Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coupe, but I've got a sedan loaner today for my first oil change and thought I'd share some observations between the two in case they might help someone decide between the two. Some of these have been covered already, but I figure it couldn't hurt to repeat them in the interest of keeping them in the same thread.

1. Sedan rides much higher.
You can almost replicate the coupe feel by lowering the seat as low at it gets, but it still feels more like you're riding on top of, instead of inside the car.

2. Sedan has more head room.
This one should be obvious, but it was great not having my hair scraping on top!

3. Sedan is easier to get in and out of.
Another obvious one, but the weight difference between the coupe / sedan doors is pretty dramatic.

4. Coupe seats much more comfortable.
The sedan is comfortable overall, but I love the way the coupe seats "hug" me when cornering.

5. Coupe's auto tranny shifts better.
May simply be the fact that my coupe's tranny has "learned" my driving habits and the loaner sedan I'm driving has been "trained" by a wuss... but I found that it had a tendency to stay in the higher gears in instances where my coupe would have dropped it down a slot. I was able to get it to downshift by giving it more gas, but there was a much more noticeable "jump" than the coupe's downshift in similar situations. I can get the coupe to do the same thing if I need the extra power, but in general, the coupe was much smoother. I wonder how long it takes for the tranny to learn the drivers' habits?

6. Sideview mirrors are bigger on the Sedan.
Not a lot bigger, but the shape is more oval, whereas the coupe's shape tapers down on the ends.

I may post some more tonight if I notice any more things on the way back to the dealer tonight. If anyone wants me to look for anything specific, let me know. I'll only have it for one day.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

5. Coupe's auto tranny shifts better.
May simply be the fact that my coupe's tranny has "learned" my driving habits and the loaner sedan I'm driving has been "trained" by a wuss... but I found that it had a tendency to stay in the higher gears in instances where my coupe would have dropped it down a slot. I was able to get it to downshift by giving it more gas, but there was a much more noticeable "jump" than the coupe's downshift in similar situations. I can get the coupe to do the same thing if I need the extra power, but in general, the coupe was much smoother. I wonder how long it takes for the tranny to learn the drivers' habits?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Has to be the wuss factor. Mine won't have any of that wuss shifting.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
[brHas to be the wuss factor. Mine won't have any of that wuss shifting.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HA HA... I knew this one would get your attention.

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

HA HA... I knew this one would get your attention.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You know me well, my friend. [:D]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other thing I forgot to mention. It's so obvious that I think it just slipped my mind... but, the sedan rides much smoother overall than the coupe. It wasn't as noticeable when I went from the coupe to the sedan, but when I went back to the coupe this evening, I could really feel all the bumps in the road. I don't mind it, since that's what a sports car is supposed to feel like, but I did enjoy the nice smooth ride of the sedan. The loaner did not have a sport package so it was definitely more of a soft ride.

And, another really small detail -- the armrest on the sedan is about twice as tall as the one in the coupe.

Well, I think I can safely say it will take more than 2 hours of driving for the tranny to learn your habits. Car was still operating in "wuss mode" when I turned it in. Although, it didn't help that I hit a ton of traffic on the way back to the dealership. [:D] Even so, it still had a lot of kick! This car is AWESOME. Those Motor Trend guys really know what they're talking about.

-Ken

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
On top of my sedan being a smooth yet powerful beast, I lowered it on Eibach springs today, and couldn't feel the difference. In fact, it actually felt smoother then stock!!! [boink]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts