Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm in the market for a new car, and the G35S is currently at the top of my list (by a long way, considering the price). I have a couple questions about the audio system for you guys:

1) Can the CD player play CD-Rs? I saw in another thread that it can't play CD-R_W_s, but I don't really care about that. What I mainly want is to copy my CDs so I don't have to leave the originals in my car (it gets hot in Texas).
2) I'm assuming MP3 CD-Rs are out of the question, right?
3) I'm considering whether to get the upgraded sound system. I would prefer to upgrade myself, but that may take a while (I'm about to spend $30K on something[;)]). So my question is: is the bose system worth $900? I'm know bose pretty much sucks, but I'm not crazy about getting the cheap system and paying for an upgrade, only to have an extra set of unused speakers (that I paid for) lying around. I'm a musician, so I appreciate good sound, but I also believe that nothing sounds great in cars, so I don't want to put in too much money. I probably wouldn't spend much more than $1000 on the upgrade, but I know $1000 will get you a lot farther with most brands than it will with bose.

Forgive me if these questions are answered elsewhere...I found a few discussions, but they didn't really answer my specific questions. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey there,
Welcome to 6mt.net

1: Yes, the Bose system can play CD-Rs. I Don't have the answer for the Non-Bose System
2: On the Bose System, it cannot play MP3 CDs
3: I think the Bose system sounds great...No complaints from me at all. Well worth the upgrade
[cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">1: Yes, the Bose system can play CD-Rs. I Don't have the answer for the Non-Bose System<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought they use the same head?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2: On the Bose System, it cannot play MP3 CDs<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'll live. With a 6-disc changer, I can get 7.5 hours of music anyway.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3: I think the Bose system sounds great...No complaints from me at all. Well worth the upgrade<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you think you could have gotten something as good or better for the same money on your own? Assuming I'll upgrade, should I do it through infiniti, or go down to the local car audio store?

What I should probably do is take some CDs down next time I testdrive and compare them myself [:)]

·
Registered
97 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by craigdred

Hey there,
Welcome to 6mt.net

1: Yes, the Bose system can play CD-Rs. I Don't have the answer for the Non-Bose System
2: On the Bose System, it cannot play MP3 CDs
3: I think the Bose system sounds great...No complaints from me at all. Well worth the upgrade
[cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah I have the regular sound system (NOT Bose sound system) and I"m starting to regret it... I"ve driven my friend's G35 Sedan which DOES have the upgrade and it sounds pretty good... of course, if you're really big into sound, you should save the upgrade money and just get it upgraded to something BETTER than Bose at a 3rd party.

[image]http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~skim7/pictures/sig01.jpg[/image]
2003 DG G35C 6MT

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
1) CD-Rs play fine
2) Already answered for you, but again, MP3s will not play
3) If you are a musician, you will NOT be happy with the Bose.

By the way, I believe the regular system is also Bose. The upgrade adds a couple of speakers and increases the power, but not by much. If you are critical about music, then you should NOT pay for the upgrade and get an aftermarket system instead. There are several threads here with upgrade suggestions.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
craigdred,

Both systems use the same head unit. Incidentally, could anyone without the upgraded system peer into their trunk, back by the wheel well and tell me what name is stamped on the amp? I suspect the "Bose upgrade" only adds a more powerful amp and two extra speakers.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you think you could have gotten something as good or better for the same money on your own? Assuming I'll upgrade, should I do it through infiniti, or go down to the local car audio store?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For the same price? You have to replace both the speakers and the amp, so you'd be pushing it, but a set of Boston Accoustics and a low end JL amp should still sound significantly better. If you want to really have some great sound, you can obviously spend siginificantly more.

I doubt the dealer will be able to do this for you so you'll need a local shop. Make sure you ask around and find someone with a great installer as this will make all the difference in the world (though a good installer WILL cost more).

Personally, I hate the Bose system but I have the premium package for the Navi and had no choice in the matter. It's heavily distorted and lacking in a great deal of accuracy. There's audibly apparent holes in the sound reproduction to a trained ear, which I'd expect a musician to have.

I just haven't resigned to dropping the $4k it would cost to get the system I want into a car I already owe so much for.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On
I doubt the dealer will be able to do this for you so you'll need a local shop. Make sure you ask around and find someone with a great installer as this will make all the difference in the world (though a good installer WILL cost more).
Thanks
I think I misspoke...when I asked if I should upgrade through infiniti, I meant the bose upgrade package. If I don't get that up front, I'll definitely go 3rd party for the upgrade.

I've seen a few people mention an installer...does this mean I can't (or shouldn't) install myself? I'd rather not pay someone else to do it unless I have a significant chance of screwing up my car. Keep in mind that I've never installed audio equipment in a car, so it's probably much harder than I think [:)]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
You're going to have to rip apart the car to do it. If that makes you squeemish, then it's a safe bet that you should find an installer to do it for you. Find a reputable company that sells the products you want -- and in most cases, they will install it for you as well. For a fee, of course.

-Ken

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Like Kloh said, you will have to rip out all the panels and the like. There are plenty of people that have done it.

For me, the time and hassle is worth the install cost, were I to do it, but I've had shit locations really screw up an install in the past. More important to me is a largely factory look, which takes real skill to accomplish in the trunk. Fiber glassing in a speaker and amp compartment that looks like part of the car rather than a box thrown in the trunk is not within my level of capability.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On
Fiber glassing in a speaker and amp compartment that looks like part of the car rather than a box thrown in the trunk is not within my level of capability.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where do they put the factory amp & sub? Or are those only included in the upgraded kit?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

Fiber glassing in a speaker and amp compartment that looks like part of the car rather than a box thrown in the trunk is not within my level of capability.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where do they put the factory amp & sub? Or are those only included in the upgraded kit?

There is no sub in the factory install, but low level bass (I won't call what Bose produces sub-sonic) comes from the 6x9's on the rear deck, I think.

The amp goes in a little compartment under the trunk floor mat by the spare tire. It's too small a compartment for a real amp. Were I to do it, I'd lose the spare tire and fiber glass that enclosure into a sub and amp compartment.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by struan87
There is no sub in the factory install, but low level bass (I won't call what Bose produces sub-sonic) comes from the 6x9's on the rear deck, I think.

The amp goes in a little compartment under the trunk floor mat by the spare tire. It's too small a compartment for a real amp. Were I to do it, I'd lose the spare tire and fiber glass that enclosure into a sub and amp compartment.
That makes sense. I can't think of a reason to keep the spare in there--I have a cell phone and AAA, so I'm pretty much covered if anything happens.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Semi, I have the base stereo. Honestly, it sounds much better then the Bose I had in my CL! A lot more power too, which brings me to your question.

When installing the sat radio receiver (the plug is back where the Bose amp sits) I got a good look in that area... there is no amp at all! It's either hiding somewhere else, or powered through the head unit... not sure, but there is no amp where the Bose amp sits in premium cars... just 4 empty unused screws!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When installing the sat radio receiver (the plug is back where the Bose amp sits) I got a good look in that area... there is no amp at all! It's either hiding somewhere else, or powered through the head unit... not sure, but there is no amp where the Bose amp sits in premium cars... just 4 empty unused screws!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's really interesting. This leads me to a couple of thoughts:

1) My suspicion may be correct in that the "upgrade" merely adds an amp and two speakers, but more than I thought. I was expecting that they swap out the original amp and add a more powerful one, but perhaps they add a single amp back there for the two speakers only and power the rest through the head unit...

2) I wonder where if the head unit is powering those speakers or if there is another amp stashed elsewhere. Furthermore, I'd like to know if this other amp is also in mine and pushing the original six speakers.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. After reading this board for a couple days, I'm more sold on the G than ever! [:)] Now all I have to do is convince myself to spend the money.[bigmouth]

But this looks like a great community you have here. After reading other boards, I'd forgotten it was possible to be civil on the internet... Hopefully I'll be joining you soon!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
SHUT UP AND DIE!

(just trying to make you feel at home. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm a failure. :(

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
'sup homey! dis board is phat, yo? ne1 here from socal? dam itz 2 hot here! no what I'm sayi, bruthah!?

(that better, struan87?) [;)]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi: :)

Welcome to the board. I will be charged with rank hearsay by some but this is my 2 cents worth.

If you want to play MP3's, then the quality of audio is not really all that important. Ripping a CD to MP3 eliminates the “soft notes that the program thinks the human ear won’t hear” when the loud notes are played. This means that there are sonic ‘holes’ in every track that has ever been MP3ed. And that’s true even when it is recorded at the higher bit rates.

As you correctly noted, cars are noisy and the G35 is no exception. Thus road noise will always be conflicting with the music. An absolute sonic purist cannot overcome this circumstance except when the car is parked. Otherwise, some of your attention will be on driving and the pinnacle of sonic purity will escape your notice. What you want is music that sounds good to YOUR ear.

A critical question is asking yourself ‘what types of music do I like?’ If it is “classical” in nature then just invest any extra money into a better 2.1 home system. If you like “rock” “jazz” “do ***” or other music with a strong beat, and if you use the treble and base boost controls or Loudness to enhance this experience then read on:

Have you ever been to a concert and noticed that the sonic presence is better than you can get on your home hi fi? Even though CD’s have nearly a 100 db’s of dynamic range, recordings always seem less life like and a dynamic expander will do wonders to correct for this even though it does introduce a modicum of distortion.

Please read my post under “Best way to get more treble”. This will work and you get to keep your original CDs safe. You get to tailor the sound stage in your G or other cars just as you want it. You can turn it into a bombastic hood blaster and rumble your way down town or drop the highs and lows to be a mid range manic. Yes, it takes a little trial and effort, but the difference will astound you, especially if your home Hi Fi has a dynamic expander. (Remember, you get to make some of the sonic choices and your’e not resigned to the choices made for you in the recording studio.)

If MP3s are sonically satisfactory to you, just use your computer software to burn them to make a Music CD.

6MT DP

1 - 20 of 36 Posts