Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what would you guys suggest for fixing flex pipes? Paying for a $40 universal connector (https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../29132/automotive-car-2008-infiniti-g35?pos=3) and having the shop labor cut/weld it or just go with a whole new Y pipe with the flex pipes connected for $200-300 bucks (Z1 Standard Stainless Steel Y-Pipe - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60 .... example but there's cheaper ones out there...) and whatever the labor may be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
honestly the Y-pipe is super easy to swap out yourself with just 2 jack stands or access to a lift. I would just replace the y-pipe with an aftermarket one that was a little more performance oriented than what was there. Unless you just want it to be stock, which isn't that bad either.

Personally when mine got rubbed out and tore I just swapped to a tomie y-pipe. But then I also always swap parts when something breaks to a performance version of it. Helps me build a performance car in smaller price jumps.

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly the Y-pipe is super easy to swap out yourself with just 2 jack stands or access to a lift. I would just replace the y-pipe with an aftermarket one that was a little more performance oriented than what was there. Unless you just want it to be stock, which isn't that bad either.

Personally when mine got rubbed out and tore I just swapped to a tomie y-pipe. But then I also always swap parts when something breaks to a performance version of it. Helps me build a performance car in smaller price jumps.
That’s what I was thinking, actually considering getting the Invidia Q300 exhaust, but gotta shop around for some coupons or something if I can for Z1 Motorsports or some other reputable site.

I’m just worried that they’ll charge me more just because it’s more to install even though it should only be an hour of work. (Quoted like 200-300 bucks just to swap the flex connectors)

I thought about doing it myself but I’m just worried about messing everything up with how rusted my undercarriage is. I changed my evap sensor and broke every bolt off it, the whole bottom plastic of my car is held together with zip ties. Oil changes are a pain in the a**

·
Registered
2 Posts
lol you must live near salt or something. if you have a second vehicle put the G on stands and take some kind of pentation lube (wd40, pb blaster, etc.) and spray it down till its dripping on the bolts and let it sit over night. then spray again the next day about an hour before you work on it or like 5 min before. then try to break them free. saves a lot of pain. the gaskets and all are simple as long as you line things up.

as far as where to get parts Ive been finding what I want from z1 or conceptZ then going and finding that exact part on ebay or facebook for about half to a 3rd of the price. some parts are used for that range others can be new but be just a little more than half the cost. just look for good ratings from a seller and if people leave a review about them.

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol you must live near salt or something. if you have a second vehicle put the G on stands and take some kind of pentation lube (wd40, pb blaster, etc.) and spray it down till its dripping on the bolts and let it sit over night. then spray again the next day about an hour before you work on it or like 5 min before. then try to break them free. saves a lot of pain. the gaskets and all are simple as long as you line things up.

as far as where to get parts Ive been finding what I want from z1 or conceptZ then going and finding that exact part on ebay or facebook for about half to a 3rd of the price. some parts are used for that range others can be new but be just a little more than half the cost. just look for good ratings from a seller and if people leave a review about them.
For sure, and thanks. I like eBay but I always hear stuff from people saying parts are fake or whatever. And yep, there’s a lot of salt in Chicago.

I just don’t trust myself doing all that underneath even though it seems easy enough. I’m cool with paying labor if its between $150-300 bucks for an exhaust install. Time is money for me too.

Definitely going to prep it though and soak all those bolts with blaster though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, what would you guys suggest for fixing flex pipes? Paying for a $40 universal connector (https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../29132/automotive-car-2008-infiniti-g35?pos=3) and having the shop labor cut/weld it or just go with a whole new Y pipe with the flex pipes connected for $200-300 bucks (Z1 Standard Stainless Steel Y-Pipe - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60 .... example but there's cheaper ones out there...) and whatever the labor may be?
I replaced mine myself on an '04 G35X with an aftermarket stainless steel chrome performance pipe that was cheaper than an aftermarket regular pipe with no issues. Looks good and runs nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I had a leak ( at/near flex joint, 10 years ago), I went to the local muffler shop know for doing custom exhausts. The welded up the leak, while I waited, and it's been fine since,
But I live in DFW texas and only took it to the track a few times...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts