Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently found this site and have been skimming over the historical posts - informative (usually) stuff. I currently have a 6MT on order and, because I toss around nickels like manhole covers, I need a couple of questions answered that maybe some in the group can help me out with:

1. As to anybody in the group 6'4" or over, how comfortable is the coupe after a couple of hours behind the wheel? I have driven/sat in a coupe for approx. 15 minutes, but such time did not give an indication of how well the car "travels."

2. As to those owners that have had their car for more than a few months, how is your experience with the car now? Earlier posts addressed a number of problems (car shutting off, brake dust and squeal, transmission, etc.), but such complaints seem to have been resolved and/or died down. I presume that anybody reading this is still likely to be enamored with their car, but I would like to hear from "grizzled" coupe owners (raves, complaints, ??). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Shut up, get in, and DRIVE[clapper][cheers][8D][thmsup]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Car is great for me, but I'm 5'10"... and it's JUST right. I have a feeling 6'4" will be a bit of a squeeze. As it is, I have to put the seat all the way down and all the way back to be comfortable. I'd prefer to ride a little higher, but rather sit low than have my hair scrape the top all the time.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. I have no problems unless the seat is bolt upright.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GTO2050

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

heh heh... there's 4 inches between us but we're practically the same weight. [:D]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm only 5'10" so I can't answer the first question.

My problems:

1) the previous car shutting off issue does appear to be resolved with a different keychain. The key switch is a bit too low which results in it being too close to your knees, but it's an avoidable design flaw.

2) The latch on the back of the passenger seat for engaging the automatic release has broken twice. On my last trip, Infiniti replaced the mechanism with an upgraded version. Supposedly this is fixed. We'll see.

3) The windows notoriously leave grease marks down the window when you roll them down. On my last visit, this was fixed with a new part.

4) The car pulls to the right. I had the fix done that was recommended for this. The car still pulls.

5) The stereo blows in either configuration. Whether or not this is important to you, is your decision.

6) You cannot set the VDC to default to off. It turns itself back on every time you restart the car unless you modify it. Probably not an issue for most drivers.

7) I have a creak in my door and the rear view mirror vibrates from time to time from the bass in the stereo.

8) Lots of paint chipping inside of the door on the foot well from stepping in and out of the car and a little bit on the nose from rocks and the like.

That's all I can think of and several of these are common to most cars, others have been fixed and are the sort of issue that one expects in a first year model. The only real remaining problems are the paint and the right pull.

In general, I'm happy with the car. It's a lot of fun to drive and absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GTO2050

heh heh... there's 4 inches between us but we're practically the same weight. [:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Okay, I fudged the weight! [bigmouth]

·
Registered
10 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Makai

I toss around nickels like manhole covers,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

First off if you are tossing nickels like manhole covers you must be pretty weak. I think you want that the other way round. I am 6'3+ and 260 and my coupe is a perfect fit. With the seat in the correct position my head is just shy of the roof. If I hit a bad bump I will knock it but that doesn't happen often. I would say that you should test drive one to see if you fit.

G35 Coupe 6MT
Diamond Graphite / Graphite Leather
Aero & Premium Package

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Since I'm hearing all of you tall guys say you fit okay, I'm also guessing that maybe those few extra inches are more in the legs than the torso -- because at 5'10" I am already VERY CLOSE to the roof. So, if you've got long legs, you're probably better off. You got a long torso, well, then you probably won't fit all that well in the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Shut up, get in, and DRIVE[clapper][cheers][8D][thmsup]

GTO-

Don't I wish it was that easy. It's night in SoCal, it's warm and humid (relatively), and PCH is waiting to be torched by a G - unfortunately, my 6MT is, at most, a chassis sitting in a plant in Japan. Damn, I'm going outside and get kicked by my dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Meradin

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Makai

I toss around nickels like manhole covers,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

First off if you are tossing nickels like manhole covers you must be pretty weak. I think you want that the other way round. I am 6'3+ and 260 and my coupe is a perfect fit. With the seat in the correct position my head is just shy of the roof. If I hit a bad bump I will knock it but that doesn't happen often. I would say that you should test drive one to see if you fit.

G35 Coupe 6MT
Diamond Graphite / Graphite Leather
Aero & Premium Package

Meradin -

Next time you need help interpreting basic analogies, let me know and I'll take you through them step by step.[}:)]

As to test driving, I have test driven a coupe without the sunroof and it seems to fit. However, sitting in a car for a few minutes is not the same as driving it for a few hours at a time. I'm 6'5", so seat comfort, leg room, and head room can all be problematic even if I "fit" in a car. Before setting my sights on a G, I was looking at 993s (mid 90's 911s). The car fit, but an afternoon of driving became umcomfortable as I was never able to hit my "sweet spot" (as promised by the seller) because of the non-tilt steering column and cramped leg space.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well, being 5'10" doesn't help in that arena. but I don't like driving in the laid back position having gone to driving school and learned otherwise. that said, with the sunroof in 6mt coupe, and sitting pretty much upright, the sunroof shade just barely touches. I'm also longer in the torso than legs(read: slightly disproportional).

as to the car, mine was a mid-may delivery. brake dust is high, but not a problem. no grease streaks on windows. no pull to right. tires wearing evenly after 7600 miles. broke in per manual for 1200 miles, driven not hard for the rest with long distance trip(3k miles and will be 8k by completion). tranny is still a good one but difficult for me to get the right, smooth shift even off the line as well as 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. driven 12 different manuals, this one is the most difficult for me to get smooth shifts on. but I attribute that to me, not the car necessarily. still have difficulty finding reverse, or more accurately, getting it into reverse----again, that's me not the car's problem. radio, upgraded bose, stinks. that's just my opinion; others who ride with me say it sounds fine or very good. I am no audiophile and fortunately I don't listen to music much. if it was important to me, I'd change it out, but it isn't an issue.

exhaust note is one of the best stock systems I've ever heard. even better than friend's Z06, in my opinion. if he could, he'd agree.

subjectively, car rides harder than I thought it would and more than previous car bought new, GS400, which was super comfortable for lots of long trips. however, after taking this long trip, I can say the car is comfortable, too. not tired after 500-750 mile days. get out and don't need ems. just fine. not cramped, legs fine, not bounced, etc. made a little bigger "armrest" tho by bringing a couple of folded up beach towels and put them on top of the puny existing armrest--really helped. looks crappy at best, but works for me.

did have car "car bra" put on by very experienced pros before going on trip. has held up very well. needs just a little "adjustment" and will take care of it on return to local area. fyi: car bra is on headlights, partial front fender, partial mirrors, partial hood, full front bumper, both sills. really works. not that visible on desert plat car; may be more visible on darker colors since some say it has a bit of orange peel which shows up more than painted surface. after last car got blasted from long trips, decided I hated seeing the pit marks and constantly using touch up paint. this car bra is worth it, to me.

mileage has been between 21-26, usually, even around town, 22-24 with a/c on and stop and go. obviously, I'm not doing the stop light grand prix if I'm getting that kind of mileage, right? but I do love the car and goose it every once in a while.

fold down rear seat helps a lot for storage of suitcases. and without navi, I've got bins and cubbyholes all over the place, so I'm happy with that. the light interior requires a little extra care---I scotchguarded the mats twice and they still get dirty. but it's easy to clean. I've put polish on the center console since it supposedly scratches easily and I'm pretty careful---so far, no scratches or maybe just one very small and light one.

aside from that, great car. hope it holds up. don't expect it to be a 200K car, but then again, I didn't pay as much for it as my prior car. you do get what you pay for...

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
By the way, I sorta measured last night. There's about a thumb's gap between the top of my head (5'10") and the roof. I have the sunroof, so, there might be more room on the ones that don't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seats! I dislike bringing this up, but depending on your build the seat can cause lots of problems. The leg bolcters on either side are extremely hard and there have been many occurances of back and leg complaints. When I called the local Infiniti service department, I was informed that the Sedan has a TSB on making the seat more comfortable, but none so yet for the coupe. I was also informed that they had received numerous complaints abot the driver seat.

Mike S.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm 6'2 200, and I've been on one road trip in my coupe. It was from Arlington (near Dallas) to San Antonio Texas. I think it was about a 4-4.5 hour trip. I was comfortable the whole way.

About the upgraded Bose...In my oppinion it is a good system. It's not great, but its stock...What do you expect?

|03.5 G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I just drove to Boston and I must say it was great. Seat has no problems but like one of the veterans here said, adjust the seat to where your right leg does not rest against the console. I ended up pushing back a little more than usual. My Skip Barber driving school experience has me sitting closer to the wheel than a normal driver would do. Enough to where you rests the wrists on top of the wheel for the proper distance. To be comfortable for long rides in the G, I found it more pleasant to push the seat back about another inch or so and that works. I did end up using cruise control on the long boring straights because my foot was going to sleep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts