Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am a college student about to purchase his first car in matter of months... I began researching a few months ago and I am pretty sure that I'm going to get the G35, simply because it's the best car under 40k. Anyway, I just wanted to hear from the owners if the ride is comfortable... My friend has the 328i and the ride is a bit too sporty for me. I'm hoping G35 is a bit more grounded. Of course, performance comes first, but I cannot live w/o the comfort. Please fill me in. And also, what should I get?

Ext/Int: Black/Black, Black/Tan, Black/Graphite, White/Black, White/Graphite, Graphite/black, Graphite/tan? Haha, kind of crazy but yeah :) Thanks all you G fans!

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I drive a car pretty hard most of the time. My wife has a 2003.5 sedan A4 and I have pushed it to the limits in handling. It just seems to lose it at higher speeds. It is comparable to her last sport sedan, a E46 323 BMW, they both handle about the same. The G35 sedan seems a little bit smoother on the highway over expansion loints.

2003.5 Blue Sedan

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my opinion, the G35 is a very comfortable car. Then again, I'm comparing it to my last car, a 2001 Eclipse GT. It's got a smooth ride, you really don't feel much of the road. Pretty roomy up fornt as well.

2003 Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently drive a 2001 Camry and I'm quite happy with the feel... It's quite comfortable actually, you'd be surprised [:D]
But I'm liking what I'm hearing...
Scooby, I actually saw a Red coupe and man it is SWEET. At first, I thought it was too red, but nah... It's NICE :)
I would get one but I'm just not cool enough or crazy enough in that sense to actually get a red one :D I envy your car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The laser red is actually a pretty nice color. Believe me, you don't have to be cool to drive one at all. I actually thought about getting a Camry or accord when I bought my car, but I figured I'm too young to be driving a car like that. They are however really confortable, and a really nice ride. The G35 is probably a little less smooth than the two door accord, but a much better handeling car. I've only had mine for a week, but love it so far.

2003 Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Test drive it, but to be honest I think this may not be the right car for you. While it is certainly comfortable, the seat being the single best I've ever seen, but the car IS very sporty, more so than the Bimmer in my opinion. If you're wanting something more laid back, this may not be it as that doesn't describe this car at all.

Steering is very tight and the manual at least seems to resist easy driving. It wants to perform.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Semi, I actually thought about getting the 6MT just because I heard manuals are more fun to drive and they are faster. Anyway, I AM decided on getting the G35 coupe... so do you think I should go AUTO? I drive auto now and have no problem with it... but I actually drove my friends manual... and it was FUN :D (it was only a nissan 200sx) What would you recommend? You seem to know a lot about these kinds of stuff... I appreciate it!

best,

Maynard

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and also, is it smarter to LEASE? OR BUY?

I am the kind of a guy who can't stick with one thing for a VERY LONG time :)
I actually plan on selling the car in 5 years anyway... So I'm thinking about leasing it for 4 years...
By leasing the car, am I wasting a significant sum of money than if I were to buy the car? I don't want to lose a whole bunch of money... (i'm not losing it but i am more of a value-driven customer) I just heard leasing programs are so good these days, it's not such a bad idea. Thanks again!

best,

Maynard

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Maynard, the leasing programs that IFS is offering for the G aren't that great. You're probably better off buying.

One thing, if you've never had a manual car before, the G might not be the best car to start learning on! See if you can rent a manual civic or something for a few weeks first [:D] Also, unless you're a professional stick shift'er, you will not see much performance gain from the manual. The auto's in these cars are tight and quick shifting. The VQ engine also has plenty of output to overcome the auto's power sapping characteristics.

In fact, I think one of our members had a kill against a Z in an auto sedan.

My rec... test drive 'em both. [8D]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I have the auto coupe and it does, in deed shift very fast. I thought I would use the tiptronic more often than I do, but I've been so happy with how the car auto shifts I don't really use it that much. Only when I'm on some nice curvy roads and want to have more fun.

If it's comfort you want, you might consider a G35 sedan. Not quite as nice looking, but I think if you get one without a sport package, the ride will be a little smoother. I wouldn't say the coupe is a really smooth ride, but it is comfortable. You still feel a lot of the bumps on the road.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yeah kloh my sport sedan feels allot like the coupe's ride, except a little smoother which I think accounts to the chunkier tires on the sedan. Yeah these electronic auto trannys are amazing and feel very less restrictive than yesterday's transmissions. Very little lag and almost no torque converter power loss. Good work Infiniti![thmsup]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Maynard

Semi, I actually thought about getting the 6MT just because I heard manuals are more fun to drive and they are faster. Anyway, I AM decided on getting the G35 coupe... so do you think I should go AUTO? I drive auto now and have no problem with it... but I actually drove my friends manual... and it was FUN :D (it was only a nissan 200sx) What would you recommend? You seem to know a lot about these kinds of stuff... I appreciate it!

best,

Maynard
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My suggestion would be to test drive both and decide for yourself.

Personally, I'm an unabashed manual biggot. I can't stand to drive an auto with the only exception being when I want road head. I find the ride simply more enjoyable and more conducent to that attached feeling an enthusiast can develop to his car. Driving an auto to me feels too much like a video game.

But VQ is right. This isn't the easiest tranny to learn. The single simplest and easiest transmission I've ever driven was in the Prizm/Corolla (same car, licensed from Toyota). I would echo his suggestion for getting a little experience with a manual before diving in or expecting to spend a little while in a parking lot with the G in order to get used to the shifting.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hey but my video game has a brain-giving passenger feature! [boink]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with the other posters altho I don't know how a BMW rides. There are a few other things you need to consider.

How much do you drive per year? If you're going to do a lot of weekend trips, long ones, the coupe may not be the ride for you. As you say, comfort is important and with the G, you have to take into account that it's geared more toward suspension performance than cushy ride.

Also, you say within the next 4 years you'll go to another car. During those 4 years, can you guess-timate what KIND of driving you'll be doing? If it's highway rush hour and you're in a real city with real stop and go for more than a half hour, you'll want to think about/be more inclined toward an automatic vs. a manual trans.

If you really put on a lot of miles and expect to ride the car hard, meaning really getting on it and street racing to some degree, or going to some form of track racing like SCCA Solo 2, while the automatic is great, the manual trans may/will give you more control. Also, if you go over the warranty miles AND IF the auto trans breaks, it could be a very large expense to repair. I'm talking thousands not hundreds of dollars.

It's a trade-off: with the G35 Coupe in auto or manual, you get a car that performs very well with some compromises made to driver comfort. With most other cars, you get driver comfort with some compromises to varying degrees made toward performance. Unless you have two cars, it's very rare to have it both ways.

So, take the others' advice to heart and test out a manual in say a Corolla (definitely one of the easiest to learn/shift), and just remember the G35 Coupe or Sedan manual is a little more difficult and a little more work (heavier clutch feel which will add up if you're in 5 mph traffic for an hour, twice a day). And test out the ride of either Coupe or Sedan over rough pavement and on the highway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GREAT advice from ALL of you... I appreciate it very much.

I just want to touch up on one thing. Someone mentioned that I won't feel that much of a difference in coupe's performance unless I'm really good at driving manually, is that true? I'd rather get the auto if I won't be seeing much difference... Of course, I'll find out about the fun factor and the comfort factor from the test drive, but I would like to know if manual isn't that much faster unless I "master" stick. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The manual will feel faster, but in the end they both get up to speed in about the same time. The manual will also have more "fun factor" (if you're into maunal trannies).

This isn't a 100HP 4-cylinder car where the difference between a manual and auto is night and day! That's how I overcame the lack of power in my '88 Accord with manual tranny... just drove around town with the RPM's at like 5K!

The dealers should be allowing test drives now on the 6MT's, go find one that has both the 6MT and auto in stock. That way you'll be sure to make the right choice.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know in Miami, it is very hard to drive a Coupe, unless you are on the list and a coupe is unaccounted for. (Which seems to be very rare)[cheers]

Finally !! | 2003 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maynard,
If you'll be doing a lot of city driving the 6 speed may not be the best choice. If you think about your normal driving habits and buy to suite them you'll thank yourself in the long run.

03 DP/W 6mt,Prem.,Navg.
00 Hayabusa 1300R
97 Ram 1500 R/T

·
Registered
23 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rajc007

I have both a 330ci and a G35c. I can tell you that the ride in the G35c is much more sporty. The bimmer gives a smoother ride, while I feel most bumps in the road in my G.

The 330 does have the sport package as well.

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p7860406275e31a5434843c0b942a0016/fc3a14e1.jpg[/image]
http://members.cardomain.com/rajc007
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So which is faster?? In the corners and straight line??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.