Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one of you folks tried taking on a subaru WRX ?[boxing]
Just wondering if the WRX is a faster than a g35(0-60) with its lighter weight ...

And is AWD necessarily better than RWD ? Any ideas/comments ?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are you talking a non-STI stock WRX? Should be no competition. If you're talking modded or STI, that's a different story.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Are you talking a non-STI stock WRX? Should be no competition. If you're talking modded or STI, that's a different story.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, was asking about a stock WRX..Was wondering if 227 HP on a tigher,ligher frame would make it quicker than a g35 sedan ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but my G only takes on BMW/Lexus as this is what it likes to eat for breakfast,lunch,, and dinner![thmsup]

G-Class
2003.5 G35s Black/Black
Prim/Sport
2003 CLK500 on order

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Class

I don't know about anybody else, but my G only takes on BMW/Lexus as this is what it likes to eat for breakfast,lunch,, and dinner![thmsup]

G-Class
2003.5 G35s Black/Black
Prim/Sport
2003 CLK500 on order

Ok..I get the idea [cheers]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love my G, but I'd say that it's no sure thing against a WRX. In fact, the WRX may take the G35 in straight-line acceleration. According to Road and Track, a 5-speed WRX sedan does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and does the quarter in 14.4 secs/95.4 mph. An automatic G35 sedan does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, quarter in 14.7 secs/95.2 mph. For comparison, a 6-speed G35 coupe does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, quarter in 14.6 secs/98.6 mph. Of course, this may not translate as clearly into real world driving; the all-wheel drive Subaru requires a ferocious launch to obtain these numbers.

That's Road and Track's analysis, anyway. Sorry guys.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Man

I love my G, but I'd say that it's no sure thing against a WRX. In fact, the WRX may take the G35 in straight-line acceleration. According to Road and Track, a 5-speed WRX sedan does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and does the quarter in 14.4 secs/95.4 mph. An automatic G35 sedan does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, quarter in 14.7 secs/95.2 mph. For comparison, a 6-speed G35 coupe does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, quarter in 14.6 secs/98.6 mph. Of course, this may not translate as clearly into real world driving; the all-wheel drive Subaru requires a ferocious launch to obtain these numbers.

I'm heading to the track next Friday. I'll see if I can find a stock WRX to take me on. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
I'm heading to the track next Friday. I'll see if I can find a stock WRX to take me on. We'll see what happens.

Eat em alive lead! [fight]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2 Posts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Man

·
Registered
218 Posts
No No..Coupe 6 speed does low low 14s. not no 14.6

GQ916 = )-

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm not sure about that Phoenix. If the WRX is already ahead when the turbo kicks in it would be hard for the G to catch it. I'd have to race one to see.

|03.5 G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
21 Posts
My money is on the WRX until about 60 and then a G would slowly walk it at higher speeds. Thats what happens when I go up against them in my NX. The NX is dead even with stock 6spd Gs.

93 NX2000 almost VE'd
91 Sentra SE-R w/SR20DET

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading up to find out if any of you guys had similar experiences against a WRX (non STI). A buddy of mine just bought a G35 Sedan, and we decided to make a few runs after his break in period. The day finally came and we took it to the parkway and made two runs out of toll booths. I seriously thought I would take him till around 60 in my WRX, but guys that wasnt the case. I got a pretty good launch, and pulled about a car length on him all the way through first gear, but as soon as I shifted into second he pulled pretty hard away from me. I guess at around 70mph he was about 2 car lengths on me, maybe more. So, I hope this answers the question, he is probably a better driver than I am, I havent mastered my launch, but like I said I thought iI actually had a good launch for once,so my 30th birthday is coming up, can you say new up/down pipes, and some engine management, then well hit the parkway again....Later guys.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 5 speed WRX (before mods) was an even match on a roll for my friends 5AT G35 sedan. From a standing start I got a sizeable lead launching at 4000 RPM. The majority of WRX on the road are not stock (at least not in my area). A $400 reflash of my ECU yielded a jump from 227 to 260 HP and dropped my 1/4 mile in the 13's with no other supporting mods. Add turbo-back exhaust and it's up to 280 HP. That said, I enjoy driving the G35 more.

>"Is AWD better"

It's better on the launch, especially on the street, which is usually much more slippery than a track. My average 60' time at the dragstrip is 1.8 (WRX), a G35 would have a very hard time matching that short-time; most seem to run 2.1-2.3. That initial lead goes a long way in a drag race.

The Achilles' heel for a WRX is the lack of low RPM torque, as others have noted. Get one from a roll and the torque of a G35 will give you a good lead before the turbo on the WRX spools-up. As chris908 said, coming out of toll booth is when a WRX will be weak, especially since your average driving is loafing through the booth at part-throttle. In that situation, a G35 would leave even a 260 HP WRX, unless the WRX went through the toll at 3500 RPM or higher.

'04 G35C 6MT CG/G Bose R01 no sunroof - on order

1 - 15 of 15 Posts